Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

The Wrecking Crew - Documentary Film

REMEMBERING GLEN CAMPBELL - GLEN CAMPBELL WITH CARS - GLEN CAMPBELL MUSEUM
Dee

Re: The Wrecking Crew - Documentary Film

Post by Dee »

Many thanks to Denny Tedesco and "The Wrecking Crew" documentary for this wonderful interview with Glen Campbell in 2008:

Please support this documentary scheduled for release in March 2015. More details to come!

# # #

Dee

Post by Dee »

'The Wrecking Crew': See the Poster for Documentary on West Coast Session Musicians

Visit: http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/ ... ary-poster" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Woohoo! Glen Campbell's name is on the poster as one of the film's participants!

Dee

Post by Dee »

Media Release: Who Really Made "California Dreamin'" a Reality?

Insight to Denny Tedesco's making of "The Wrecking Crew" documentary: a Woody Allen film. Who knew? :)

See: http://www.wireservice.ca/index.php?mod ... &sid=14184" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mike Joyce

Post by Mike Joyce »

You can feel the joy from these guys. Great clip Dee. I wish I had been there. Its also great that they realised they were doing something special here. I am sure it helped make the memories stronger and the joy greater and above all, something to be very proud of.

Dee

Post by Dee »

Sessions for "Good Vibrations" went on for months! Brian Wilson recorded this song (or portions thereof) in four different studios because each studio had its own special sound, and Brian was determined to find the right sounds for GV. As Cowpoke noted, there were many sessions: dozens of studio musicians were hired for more than 15 recording sessions. (I'll source this information and post it under Glen and The Beach Boys later.) It was very possible that Glen heard this song in the making or was on one or more sessions. (as Mike described) Furthermore, there had to have been buzz (vibrations?) in the studios about the making of this recording -- probably all the sessionists heard what was taking place and even Brian knew it was something special and allowed/arranged for documentary-type filming to take place in at least one of the studios.
Glen was blown away by the finished song when he first heard the final version on the radio -- listen to Glen talk about it in this Wrecking Crew video clip about the making of "Good Vibrations":

Mike Joyce

Post by Mike Joyce »

Yes that makes sense Cowpoke.
Although I would have thought Glen's contributions would have been kept. I suppose the recordings were done as a "live" mix. I.E. everyone playing together, as was mentioned in the Wrecking Crew film etc.So take 17 may have been discarded for the final take 25 or so.

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

Yes, but Glen remembered being in the studio when Good Vibrations was recorded. The thing is, at that time they were doing so much sessions for one song,.Glen could have been present at one recording, but maybe they used another one in the final product.

I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...
Mike Joyce

Post by Mike Joyce »

You are correct Randy, tracks 2-4-9-11 and 13. What does surprise me though is Glen, isn't on the big hits on the album. Good vibrations, God only knows, John Sloop B and Wouldn't it be nice.Perhaps he had other job/sgigs on but I thought his involvement was with the bulk of the album tracks. Glen even put God only knows on his Southern Nights album "because he liked it so much".

Randy

Post by Randy »

I see if I count correctly Glen credited with guitar on 5 of the 15 "Pet Sounds" songs...

http://pop.genius.com/The-beach-boys-pe ... ts-lyrics/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

That's a great article Siblis. Thanks for posting. In drummer Earl Palmer's autobiography he mentions that Glen stayed at his house when he first came to LA.

I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...