Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

I'm Not Gonna Miss You

REMEMBERING GLEN CAMPBELL - GLEN CAMPBELL WITH CARS - GLEN CAMPBELL MUSEUM
Mike Joyce

Re: Glen Campbell's Sons and Daughters' Musical Projects

Post by Mike Joyce »

Randy, Dee,
I think if the family I.E. the children did the song that would be awesome. Shannon I think nailed it with his version. Which I must say I felt hit home much better by being a simple arrangement. A bit like Glen's version of Postcard from Paris live as opposed to the album version which left me cold sadly.
It would also be much more relevant coming from Glen's own son and I think the audience would appreciate the significance of that much more than an it being sung by someone like Kris or Willie.

Dee

Post by Dee »

That's interesting, Randy -- Willie Nelson? I love Willie, but...
I think I'd like to hear Kris Kristofferson sing it sometime.
But definitely Shannon (perhaps with Cal and Ashley?) for performing his Dad's last song at the Oscars, especially after hearing him sing I'm Not Gonna Miss You in the video posted below.
Perhaps Julian Raymond for backup vocals?

Dee

Re: I'm Not Gonna Miss You - Oscar Nomination!

Post by Dee »

Hi, Randy, isn't it heartwarming to see the strong fan support for Glen and what he has meant to them in their lives in the comments sections of articles and YouTube videos? Fans who are truly fans and not self-promoting people?

Here's an interesting aftereffect of the Oscar nominations for Best Original Song including Glen's:

"Oscars: Which Original Song Got the Biggest Post-Nomination Sales Boost?"

Although "Glory" benefited the most from its Oscar nomination, "Glen Campbell's "I'm Not Gonna Miss You," his final recording, rose 211 percent on sales of 1,000."

From: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/o ... got-765920" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So watch for those YouTube views to increase along with the number of comments posted on the official "I'm Not Gonna Miss You" video! Go Glen!

Randy

Post by Randy »

Don't remember if it is on here or on a comment somewhere's but someone suggested that "Not gonna miss you " should be sung in Glen's absence at the Oscar's by Willie Nelson. And I was thinking at the time that I would prefer Alan Jackson. While this may not come to pass , we can hope.

And now, again, I have changed my mind, to Shannon Campbell. I think that he has become serious,, dedicated, and hearing him sing "Not gonna miss you" to me is his best work yet in my opinion. That song is serious, is to be taken serious and he did just that. And I think the results are excellent.

Randy

Post by Randy »

Yeah , Dee, I'm always reading posters comments and when I look at the amount of views and the amount of comments posted on "Im not gonna miss You" on YT,, those numbers blow me away.

@Cowpoke, that link you put up of Shannon "I'm not gonna miss You" , is so good I would have felt guilty posting a comment over the top of it, wishing it to stay at the top of the page. Of all the things I've seen him do, that's the best. Heart and professionalism is there!!!

Dee

Post by Dee »

Oh. Now I understand, Randy! LOL!
:oops:
(That poster did write a great post. Thanks for pointing this out to us.)
Dee

Randy

Post by Randy »

Dee,

" itstwueitstwue " is someone whom posted comments on that hollywood reporter link. Very accurate and kind words for Glen and the Wrecking Crew guys.

Dee

Post by Dee »

Thanks, Randy, glad you enjoyed the Hollywood Reporter article link.

" itstwueitstwue " -- Both versions have their own merits, and I thank Julian Raymond for it. You've seen the doc, too, so you know how powerful that recording session is for "I'm Not Gonna Miss You" when you see it at the end of the film. It's not presented like a grand reunion, but as artists at work preparing to record. It's a beautiful gesture to Glen and the WC's lasting contributions to a huge body of recorded music, so it works visually in the context of the film, doesn't it? It brings the film to a full circle. "Will The Circle Be Unbroken"? No. Bravo to James Keach, too, for including this scene in the film. I think he'll do a great job with the biopic about GC, too.

The EP version seems to be fuller in terms of orchestration. Howard Willing did a pro job in mixing this version. It doesn't appear to me from the film credits that Howard mixed the film version, but I will try to find out.

Have I mentioned previously that including on the EP Jimmy Webb's "Wichita Lineman" as sung by Glen on the Goodbye Tour was really super, too? How fitting that Glen is singing one of his hit songs with Jimmy on his last (presumably) album.

All due to the genius of Julian Raymond who totally gets Glen's music. Love that photo of Glen and Julian that was recently posted in Rolling Stone. (http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... n-20150115" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

Dee.

Randy

Post by Randy »

Agree with Mike about which one sounds the best. Clear cut to me. My guess is more effort went into the t.v. version on the mix, but don't know that.

Having said that, I love them both equally. Julian Raymond and friends, and the Wrecking Crew, I love all these guys for this .

Something special about seeing old friends together, and something special about seeing new friends together. Don't get to here without Julian Raymond and we don't get together without Glen's past hard worker tactics with the Wrecking Crew.

Dee, liked your link of hollywood reporter and the comments by this guy.

" itstwueitstwue "

Mike Joyce

Post by Mike Joyce »

Hi Dee, I have to say the Youtube version is a better mix. It's brighter and more balanced.The guitar at 0.47 is nicer also.
Glen's voice sounds richer as well. The Hollywood version sounds very compressed and isn't as good on the ear.
I also think the drums are more dramatic on the TY version and it just sounds much tighter.
I have learned that mixing is key to getting a good balance. It makes for a better finished record in the end.