Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

Video of the Week: CMA Awards 2011 Tribute

REMEMBERING GLEN CAMPBELL - GLEN CAMPBELL WITH CARS - GLEN CAMPBELL MUSEUM
Dee

Re: Video of the Week: CMA Awards 2011 Tribute

Post by Dee »

Aw, Randy, now you made me tear up! Thank you for always saying what's on your mind. I admire that!
Now, it's time to put on some Glen Campbell holiday music!
Have a great weekend!
Dee :)

Randy

Post by Randy »

I'm gonna be honest here and do not mind saying it.

Dee,, dad gum you,,
You just made me tear up.

Thanks, Randy

Dee

Post by Dee »

Randy,
I watched this 2011 CMA Awards program video again last night—REALLY watched it and didn’t just listen to it.
I let go of my frustration/disappointment that Glen wasn’t part of the performance.
I let go of my frustration with the CMA for cutting to a commercial.
Seeing Vince, Keith and Brad perform, as well as Jimmy Webb, struck me – in that the four of these same artists also provided tributes in words of admiration for Glen in the doc, I’ll Be Me! I think it was no coincidence that these artists were also in the film. They all admire Glen and have been inspired by him in growing their own careers.
I was struck by the warm, proud expressions on Glen’s face as he watched the performances. It is emotional to watch him, isn’t it?
Did it appear to you that he seemed like the proud father who has handed on the torch to his “sons” and loves what he sees?
Kim and Glen had a GLOW about them that was just beautiful. I felt I could see their deep, deep connection with each other.
The audience was amazing. (I loved how Reba just beamed!)
I hadn’t noticed previously that a full orchestra accompanied the singers—so kudos to the CMA for providing an orchestra for this tribute’s singers.
The hug between Jimmy and Glen….oh my. The long embrace between Keith and Glen was very moving, too.
Randy, I agree about those standing ovations for Glen – whether on this 2011 tribute, the 2012 Grammys, videos of the Goodbye Tour concerts, live Goodbye concerts we’ve attended, and the I’ll Be Me screening we both saw--different audiences/locations--same audience reaction. Totally agree with you about what you wrote below: “every single time when I've seen Glen Campbell get a standing ovation to me it is a matter of respect, appreciation, and love they have for that man. Not just a kind , customary jesture.”
Thanks again for posting and discussing the 2011 CMA video that deserved another look, another great discussion.

Randy, we deeply appreciate your kind words about the forum and posters. I think I can respond for both Cowpoke and myself that this meeting place for Glen’s fans is an outcome of the “respect, appreciation, and love” that all of us here have for the one and only Glen Campbell. Every post is a tribute.

Dee

Mike Joyce

Post by Mike Joyce »

Hi Guys, sorry so late coming in on this discussion. Its been a very busy week for me. Always the way. sometimes very quiet then suddenly too busy.
It was interesting to read the various comments on this. Just to give my perspective. I thought that the trio did OK . Keith I felt, didn't perform the song with the required smoothness it needed. I also am not a big fan of singers who tend to sing with a strong nasal effect. Vince I thought was OK actually. Although Glen's will always be the tops. The tribute was in its self good and I think these guys are fans as they have noted in the past. So it was their tribute to Glen, and no doubt an honour for them as well. How I would have loved to stand there and sing one of Glen's songs knowing he was in the audience listening. They must have been nervous I am sure.
I think the main issue is with the production side of this. I know they want the revenue from the adverts but sometimes I think it tends to dictate too much of the scheduling for my liking. I remember here when a big match was on The World cup 2010 England were playing and the channel went to a commercial break by accident. When they went back to the game England had scored their first goal of the tournament.. That really did cause an outrage at the time.
Some special events should just be left intact. Glen said once, he loved watching TV in the UK, because the BBC don't have commercial breaks every 10 -15 minutes.

Randy

Post by Randy »

And ,,,,

BTW,,,

I totally understand Dee's "frustrated" if I may use the word, opinion. And you never know,,, somewhere someone may have read that disdain over Glen not performing and learned from it. I certainly give the Grammy's the nod of approval as Glen performing on that stage was absolutely in my opinion the highlight of the show. But just saying,,, I was highly appreciative and moved by what I saw on the CMA's also. Every single time when I've seen Glen Campbell get a standing ovation to me it is a matter of respect, appreciation, and love they have for that man. Not just a kind , customary jesture.

Big difference,

And thanks Dee, and Cowpoke for you guys n gals input
I hope you guys know how much your devotion and efforts are appreciated here and to all the posters also!!!!!!

Randy

Post by Randy »

Anyone read the comments. Second one down,

says......

"This brings a tear to my eye everytime I watch it ....."

No one wants or wanted to see Glen perform more than me but it had no affect on what I saw and continue to see.

My opinion is it was the real deal as a heart felt tribute to Glen..

another one I read said.......

"omg, I was good until about 5:08 and then I lost it."

Dee

Post by Dee »

Good point, Cowpoke, about having Glen focus on one main event at the 2012 Grammy Awards.
In the film, I'll Be Me, Kim is shown reminding Glen on their way to the Grammys venue on the 12th that the teleprompter is located in the center of the auditorium, not on stage as Glen was accustomed to during the Goodbye Tour concerts. The location of the teleprompter in itself was likely worrisome or of concern even though Glen had rehearsed.
How about: a photo shoot of the Boys and Glen at the Grammys? :)
I'll listen to the 2011 CMA vid again and try to be more objective!
Dee

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

No, I haven't forgotten the outrage after that tribute. I myself was really disappointed they didn't let Glen perform.
Later I read somewhere that Ovation Guitars had handed out some new guitars backstage (if I remember correctly). It was never the intention for Glen to perform. But Glen wasn't aware of that of course, and we as viewers weren't either. So, that was poorly edited, to say the least.

But the tribute itself by Keith, Vince, Brad and Jimmy.... I now see the good intentions and love for Glen, more than the things that irritated me back then, I guess!

About Glen being on stage with the Beach Boys, yes it would have been great, but I can imagine people around Glen decided against it, if it was ever contemplated. Too much confusion for Glen I think. They had to focus on that one performance of Rhinestone Cowboy. Recently Kim admitted how worried she was, because the teleprompter was unreadable for Glen. Somehow Glen got through,and in a glorious way I might add!

I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...
Dee

Post by Dee »

Hey guys, I totally respect that you appreciated the 2011 CMA tribute for Glen. Totally. I am glad that we can discuss music topics such as this one here on the forums.
I am so glad that Glen (and Kim) was present in the audience to enjoy the CMA tribute.
However, for me, the 2011 CMAs was overall a poor tribute to Glen Campbell, who, at that point in his career, could have performed on stage himself one last time for the CMA Award broadcast. Glen's Goodbye Tour was still in (early) progress in November 2011, and Glen had been putting on great shows.
Vince Gill, Keith Urban, and Brad Paisley did okay playing the trio of Jimmy Webb hits of Glen's, along with Jimmy Webb’s fine performance (he looked so proud and happy for Glen).
It was very moving to see Glen in the CMA audience singing to his hits.
But why not have Glen perform or at least join one of the CMA tribute performances? I think Glen wasn’t invited to perform because the CMA wanted its programming to appeal to a younger, music-buying audience. The CMA didn’t want to target its programming to a mature demographic.
At least the Feb. 2012 Grammy Awards put Glen back on stage where he belonged (and this could have been partly a response due to the outrage from fans due to the CMA’s oversight in Nov. 2011).
At the end of the CMA tribute, Glen was invited to join the performers on stage and he did so, strapping on his guitar and whipping out a pick to play as if this moment was meant to be part of the show while the orchestra was playing "Galveston". Why have the guitar there on stage or why hand Glen a guitar if he wasn’t meant to perform?
Then, before Glen could play/sing, the CMA CUT TO A COMMERCIAL! The decision to cut to a commercial showed disregard and disrespect in my opinion.
Remember how upset many of us were to see Glen slighted at the end of this segment? Slighted for a commercial break!
Again, I think that the 2012 Grammys provided Glen with his rightful place on stage (his Lifetime Achievement Grammy Award had been presented to him the day before the Grammy broadcast).
Regrettably, the Grammy Awards missed a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity by not putting together two Grammy guests with significant shared history on stage at the same time: The Beach Boys and Glen Campbell. The Boys and Glen could have at least been reunioned on stage for a few minutes. This moment would have been so perfect. (Even a Beach Boys forum lamented over this oversight, after the Grammy Awards broadcast.)
I haven’t watched the CMAs since 2011 except to see The Band Perry perform “Gentle On My Mind” last month. Sadly, I did not hear any acknowledgement of Glen before or after they performed this signature song of Glen's; did you?
Randy, you chose a great video for this week's discussion. Thank you!
Dee

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

One other thing that crossed my mind. One of the reasons this is a great tribute, is the fact that they choose 3 artists who are incredible guitar players in their own right. So they paid tribute to Glen the singer of great songs and Glen the guitar player. Very cool.

I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...