Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

Video of the Week: CMA Awards 2011 Tribute

REMEMBERING GLEN CAMPBELL - GLEN CAMPBELL WITH CARS - GLEN CAMPBELL MUSEUM
Cowpoke

Re: Video of the Week: CMA Awards 2011 Tribute

Post by Cowpoke »

Great video to post Randy. I see it with different eyes now. At the time I thought it was very crude to cut to the commercials just when Glen had the guitar round his neck and had just got his guitar pick out of his pocket. But now I see the love that was behind this tribute, by Keith Urban, Brad Paisley, Vince Gill and of course Jimmy Webb. And the audience too.

At the time I also thought that because these talented singers never come close to how well Glen sang these songs, that was a tribute to Glen in itself.
Keith doesn't sound the best he ever did and Glen's reaction seems to confirm he thinks so too. However, later I heard Keith was just about to have vocal cord surgery, so maybe that was it.
Of course, they already knew they were never going to do better than the man himself and Vince Gill said something to that extent before his performance. " Nobody sings a Jimmy Webb song like Glen Campbell". I really like Vince's performance, but even there you hear how difficult it it to phrase a song like "Phoenix".

I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...
Randy

Video of the Week: CMA Awards 2011 Tribute

Post by Randy »

If I may post this on Sunday nite. Just rewatched this for the I don't know how many times. I'm still touched by this tribute. Comments below the video are moving. The way I saw it when they did it and the way I still see it , is a great tribute from the hearts of all those on stage and in the audience as well as all of us viewers.

And what do you think?