Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

Glen Campbell and The Monkees

REMEMBERING GLEN CAMPBELL - GLEN CAMPBELL WITH CARS - GLEN CAMPBELL MUSEUM
arlw

Re: Glen Campbell and The Monkees

Post by arlw »

Yea, it did mean a lot to have them on the Goodtime Hour. Some of the skits were really funny and most of the songs The Monkees did, were lip sync. I don't know why they just didn't do it live. Who knows, maybe some of them actually were. I liked The Monkees as we basically all grew up with them, like all the other groups, but to be honest, there was some charisma in watching and hearing Glen! Not putting any other groups down but Glen just had that showmanship and kept it in my opinion for his entire career. Thank God for that!

Dee

Post by Dee »

Thanks so much for your recommendations, arlw! Very much appreciated!
It must have meant a lot to Glen to later have The Monkees perform on the Glen Campbell Goodtime Hour!
Dee

arlw

Post by arlw »

Dee,
Any of the boxed sets posted are highly recommended for a Monkee start! As far as the latest upcoming release of the new boxed set, I would hold off only because I think with what I Have, might be the one of the same. For ME to buy that set, would be just adding to what I already have. For others that don't have any Monkee material, would be an awesome set to add to a Glen Campbell Collection. Just know and keep in mind, the first three LP's that they released, Glen is on! The rest is history. Thank you for your kind words on the post.

Dee

Post by Dee »

arlw, you sure don't monkey around with The Monkees and Glen Campbell! Your posts are a goldmine of valuable info. Thank you so much for starting this topic and sharing all of this information with us.
I am really looking forward to finding and listening to some of these recordings! Which box set would you suggest I start with?

And what is your opinion of the newest box set, The Monkees: Super Deluxe Edition (R2-543027), recently released and reviewed by The Second Disc (http://theseconddisc.com/?s=monkees" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)?

Thanks!
Dee

arlw

Post by arlw »

The Monkees Greatest Hits - R2-721190-Rhino Records, Inc. 1995 release on CD. Glen plays guitar on the song, “Mary, Mary.” He is acknowledged on the inside jacket. The original recording date for this song was, July 25, 1966. 20 total tracks on this CD.

The Monkees - RHINO Records, Inc. 1994 release. R2-71790. Glen plays lead guitar on, “Papa Gene’s Blues”, “Sweet Young Thing”, and “I Don’t Think You Know Me.”(Prev. unissued, alternate version.) Glen is acknowledged on the jacket cover. Original recording dates are, July 7, 1966, July 18, 1966, and June 25, 1966. This is their first debut album. Re-mastered for CD.

More Of The Monkees - RHINO Records, Inc. R2-71791. 1994 release. Glen plays lead guitar on, “Mary, Mary”, and “The Kind Of Girl I Could Love.” Original release dates were July 25, 1966, and June 25, 1966. Glen is acknowledged on the inside jacket. Remastered for CD.

The Monkees - Listen To The Band - Rhino Records, 1991 release. This is a 4 CD box set. Glen is on here, playing studio guitar work, on 6 tracks. He is acknowledged on the inside jacket. Book is included with all dates of released material. Glen played on, “Papa Gene’s Blues”, “Sweet Young Thing”, “All The King’s Horses”, “Mary, Mary”, “Your Auntie Grizelda”, and “It Won’t Be The Same Without Her.

The Monkees – Manufactured in the U.S.A. for Arista Records. Produced by Tommy Boyce and Bobby Hart. ARCD-9524. This is a digital compilation and re-mastering of the LP from the Monkees original release date which was September 1966. All selections published by Screen Gems EMI. There is no listed re-mastered date on this Arista Label. It just mentions the original release date of the 1966 album, which is odd! Usually there is a newer date as this is a CD format, not an LP! Glen Campbell is on this CD doing studio guitar work on “Papa Gene’s Blues” and “Sweet Young Thing.” Glen Campbell was on The Monkee’s first three albums and several CD sets/boxed sets from them. Glen did studio guitar work on many of the Monkees recordings.

Here we come-walking down the street.................................................................................

arlw

Glen Campbell and The Monkees

Post by arlw »

From my collection—Glen is on ALL OF THESE….NOTICE THE IMPORTED IN BOLD!!!!

The Monkees – Anthology – This is a 2 CD set on the RHINO label. R2-75269. Disc 1 contains 25 songs. Disc 2 contains also 25 songs. This was released on April 21, 1998. Glen Campbell is on this set and is acknowledged in the liner notes. He plays the bass guitar and the regular guitar, as a studio session performer. Carole King is listed for playing the guitar too. Hal Blaine is on the drums, Tommy Boyce on guitar, James Burton on guitar, Al Casey on guitar, Doug Dillard plays the electric banjo, Bobby Hart on the Glockenspiel, organ, and vocals, Larry Knechtel plays the bass, Leon Russell plays the keyboards, Bud Shank does the Strings. There must be about 100 people on here that recorded this CD with the Monkees! Listed under Production Credits is Tommy Boyce, Arranger/Producer, Mickey Dolenz, Gerry Goffin, Bobby Hart, Arranger and Producer, Davey Jones, Producer, Carole King, Producer, Michael Nesmith, Producer, Harry Nilsson, Jack Nitzsche, Arranger. And the list goes on. These are the original recordings. This has been released several times, as the copyrights are 1986, 1987, 1988, 1990 and 1996 by Rhino Records Incorporated. This compilation is 1998 Rhino Entertainment Company. The front of the CD has a great picture of the Monkees, like a television screen in 3-D. This CD will also remain sealed for value purposes only.

THE MONKEES – INSTANT REPLAY - Rhino Records R2-71796, this reissue was released in 1995. Original Recordings Produced by Tommy Boyce, Bobby Hart, Michael Nesmith, Micky Dolenz, Davy Jones, Carole Bayer, Neil Sedaka, and Bones Howe. This CD contains 19 songs, 6 of them are Bonus Selections - previously unreleased material/alternate versions/alternate mixes. The CD has been re- mastered. The original release date of this CD was back in Feb. 1969. Credits are given to Glen Campbell, who plays the guitar on this CD. Good list of musicians on here, some are Al Casey, Hal Blaine, Tommy Boyce, James Burton, Bobby Hart, Tommy Tedesco, Neil Young, among others. This was a special order CD it is also sealed and will remain that way for value purposes only.

Complete Monkees 4 CD Set of the rare and out of print series “The Monkee Archives.” This series came out in 1995 and went out of print in 1997. These are all factory sealed as they are extremely rare and will remain that way for value purposes only. The Monkees Archives Volume 1- The Birds, The Bees, and The “33 1/3 Revolutions Per” Monkees, contains 28 tracks on this one CD. Copyright 1995. Splendor of Bohemia Presentations, all 4 CD’s are imported from DENMARK Some of the recordings are in mono/stereo, and contain rare versions of the original recordings. Volume 2 contains ultra-rare versions of TV songs! The CD is called Television Rarities and each CD had a different cover art to it. Some are live, rehearsals/interviews. This second CD contains 41 tracks. Volume 3 is Alternates and Out-Takes, which are basically unreleased material, demos, alternate versions, acoustics only, unreleased backing tracks. On this third CD there are 31 tracks. Glen Campbell played on many of these studio tracks, back in the 60’s. Volume four is The Monkees “Live” 1967-1969. It contains 20 tracks, and number 17 is, “The Monkees Live on the Glen Campbell Show that aired on, February 5, 1969”. They did a medley of 3 different songs on the show. This CD has very rare “Live” TV appearances. All 4 CD’s are extremely rare, and being that they are all imported from Denmark, makes them worth even more. MON-01 through MON-04 THE MONKEES ARCHIVES VOLUMES 1 THROUGH 4. Imported from Denmark. One label is blue, followed by purple, red, and black. Glen Campbell played the guitar on many of these takes. They will remain sealed.

The Definitive Monkees – Limited Edition – 60 tracks on 2 CD’s. Includes Bonus disk with rarities, mixes, and unreleased tracks. 2001 release on the label WEA INTERNATIONAL LC-03708 GEMA/BIEM. This is an imported CD from Germany. 8573-86692-2. On the Bonus CD, the theme from the Monkees is sung in German! Disc one is very colorful with all four of the Monkees on the bottom. The Bonus CD is a picture disc CD. Glen Campbell is acknowledged on this double CD and he is on many tracks. Great booklet is included. Warner Music Manufacturing Europe. Great list of tracks on here
The Monkees – Manufactured in the U.S.A. for Arista Records. Produced by Tommy Boyce and Bobby Hart. ARCD-9524. This is a digital compilation and re-mastering of the LP from the Monkees original release date which was September 1966. All selections published by Screen Gems EMI. There is no listed re-mastered date on this Arista Label. It just mentions the original release date of the 1966 album, which is odd! Usually there is a newer date as this is a CD format, not an LP! Glen Campbell is on this CD doing studio guitar work on “Papa Gene’s Blues” and “Sweet Young Thing.” Glen Campbell was on The Monkee’s first three albums and several CD sets/boxed sets from them. Glen did studio guitar work on many of the Monkees recordings…

Ar