Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

Glen Campbell and Rick Nelson

REMEMBERING GLEN CAMPBELL - GLEN CAMPBELL WITH CARS - GLEN CAMPBELL MUSEUM
Lonely Summer

Re: Glen Campbell and Rick Nelson

Post by Lonely Summer »

That book by Sheree Homer is the best one about Rick. Many rare pics in there. I always think of Glen as a guitar player, so it is good to be reminded that he played bass with Rick and the Beach Boys. I've long wondered if Rick got the idea to record Kentucky Means Paradise, Truck Drivin' Man and No Vacancy from hearing Glen's versions?

arlw

Re: Glen Campbell and Rick Nelson

Post by arlw »

Some 45's with Glen Campbell and Rick Nelson-from MY collection.

The Trophies – Peg O’ My Heart/I Laughed So Hard I Cried. This 45 is on the Challenge Teal Colored Label #9149. This 45 was released in 1962. It is in good to fair condition. The group consisted of Jerry Fuller, Dave Burgess, Bill Fuller, Glen Campbell, and Rick Nelson (who was kept way down in the mix as to not to upset Ozzie or Imperial Records!!) There is a CD out on Verese with these sessions on it, but this is the original 1962 released 45 with Glen Campbell playing studio guitar on here. This record is 42 years old and Glen was 26 years old when this record was recorded! It is distributed by Warner Brothers Records. Glen did many studio sessions back in the early 60’s. This is the second one I have ever come across with “The Trophies” and Glen Campbell being on here. This is a very rare 45.

Louisiana Man/You Just Can’t Quit – Recorded by Rick Nelson on the original Decca Label from June of 1966. Manufactured by Decca Records Inc., U.S. A. The # is 31956. The 45 is in very good condition. Glen Campbell plays studio guitar work on both tracks and possibly some harmony vocal behind Rick. Vocal and Orchestra Directed by Jimmie Haskell on the “Louisiana Man” song. On the flip side “You Can’t Just Quit” it says Vocal with Chorus and Instrumental Accompaniment Directed by Jimmie Haskell. These tracks are from the DECCA ALBUM DL- 4779, “Bright Lights and Country Music.” Jimmie Haskell used to work with Glen Campbell as HIS director! “Louisiana Man” was written by Doug Kershaw and “You Just Can’t Quit” was written by Rick Nelson.

ALBUMS-CD'S From also my collection

RICK NELSON – BRIGHT LIGHTS/COUNTRY FEVER – CDCHD-670. MCA Records Inc., purple label, licensed courtesy of Universal Music (UK) Limited. This CD is imported and made in the UK, ACE label is printed on the disc. LC-5982. This CD has 2 albums on one CD. Bright lights came out in 1966, and Country Fever was released in 1967. Rick’s main session guitarist recommended that Rick put out a country album and that he should use this studio session player by the name of, Glen Campbell. Glen is super hot on the 12 string picking throughout. Also something else to hear that is great is the two voices blend when Glen sings harmony on the cut, “Walkin’ Down The Line.” Rick does some standards like “Welcome To My World”, “Hello Walls”, but one in particular that is so great is Glen’s own “Here I Am.” Great CD-this was a special order CD. Comes with a booklet written up by John Stafford, who wrote this in 1997. The original label is on Decca. On the COUNTRY MUSIC session, Glen was brought in to play the bass guitar, so he actually played the bass/12 string on these 2 records of Rick Nelson. Leon Russell was also brought in to play the bass on some sessions. This CD was released in 1998 by ACE Records Limited, in London. Glen is listed inside the jacket for his superb talent.

RICKY NELSON – MORE SONGS BY RICKY/RICKY IS 21 – LR, Liberty Records, 72435-32450-2-3. This is 2 albums on 1 CD. All tracks are digitally re-mastered. LR/Capitol Records. This compilation was released in 2001. The original release date was 1960! EMI Records, Manufactured By Capitol Records, Inc. On the first CD, “MORE SONGS BY RICKY”, there are 6 Bonus Tracks. On the second CD, called “RICKY IS 21”, there are 2 Bonus Tracks. Glen Campbell is on this CD playing the guitar as a studio musician. Glen also did vocals and over-dub vocals-(the over-dub vocals are listed as production credits on the albums.) This is most likely due to the digitally re-mastered sound from 41 years ago. He did a lot of back up guitar and harmony with Rick Nelson in the 60’s. There are 32 total tracks on this CD. It is sealed and brand new, and will remain that way for value purposes only.

The Best Of RICK NELSON – 1963-1975. - MCAD-10098 This CD is from 1990 on Decca/MCA Records. It includes a 12 page booklet and also includes 3 songs previously unreleased in the United States. Incredible musicians like James Burton, Joe Osborn, Richie Frost, Glen Campbell, Jerry Fuller, Dave Burgess and others. Some tracks were conducted by Jimmie Haskell. “Easy To Be Free” is the single version that was not released in the U.S. “Rock-N Roll Lady” and “Fadeaway” are previously unreleased on this album. Imperial Records was Rick’s starting record company, when he switched to DECCA, even though he changed labels, the band did not disband! Haskell remained as the musical director: the band of guitarist James Burton, bassist, Joe Osborn, and drummer, Richie Frost, continued to play on all of his records with Ray Johnson or Gene Garf on piano: Jerry Fuller, Glen Campbell and Dave Burgess were called in (who had replaced the Jordanaires), sang background vocals, and did some studio guitar sessions as well. This is a fabulous CD with some fine musicians.

Cowpoke

Glen Campbell and Rick Nelson

Post by Cowpoke »

Glen has a lot of ties with Rick Nelson. He played on the demo of what was to become his biggest hit "Travellin' Man". He played (and sang background vocals) on many Rick Nelson recording between 1961 and 1967. He sang with Rick on the Goodtime Hour. But in april 1966, Glen also joined Rick on a tour through the Far East, again playing bass just like he did for the Beach Boys a year earlier (because Rick's usual bass player, Wrecking Crew member Joe Osborn was afraid to fly). I never saw photos of this, until now.

This wonderful book, called Rick Nelson Rock 'n' Roll Pioneer, written by Sheree Homer, has some rare picture of Glen, Rick (and guitar player James Burton) on tour in Japan.

Take a look on google books, which has some of the pages available:

https://books.google.nl/books?id=hyrXHg ... 22&f=false" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Note: i noticed that every time you look on google books different pages are available/not available. First time I looked luckily all the pages with references to Glen were available. Here are small preview of one of the pictures in case you can't see them.
Attachments
Rick Nelson on tour in the Far East with Glen Campbell, James Burton
Rick Nelson on tour in the Far East with Glen Campbell, James Burton
rick_nelson_far_east_tour_with_glen_campbell_james_burton.jpg (68.97 KiB) Viewed 4035 times

I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...