Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

Rhinestone Cowboy 40th Anniversary Album

REMEMBERING GLEN CAMPBELL - GLEN CAMPBELL WITH CARS - GLEN CAMPBELL MUSEUM
Dee

Re: Rhinestone Cowboy 40th Anniversary Album

Post by Dee »

Time flies, doesn't it? It has been over a year now since the Rhinestone Cowboy LP (vinyl) was reissued just in advance of its 40th anniversary and an expanded album version was released on CD.
Thought it might be of interest to new readers and members to revive this thread which had moved down 4 pages or so.

New: I was surprised to find that a Rhinestone Cowboy songbook had been released in 1976. From the pics of this songbook, it looks like an album, but it is a songbook with sheet music for piano and chord charts for guitar:
Rhinestone Cowboy_Songbook 1976.jpg
Rhinestone Cowboy_Songbook 1976.jpg (42.43 KiB) Viewed 7911 times
Rhinestone Cowboy_Songbook_2 pp_1976.jpg
Rhinestone Cowboy_Songbook_2 pp_1976.jpg (61.55 KiB) Viewed 7911 times
It was listed on the secondary market in very good condition with shelf wear and some creases, but I was excited to be able to purchase it for the intact sheet music.

Dee

Post by Dee »

Hi, fans! I am excited to pass along this HD version of "Rhinestone Cowboy - Western Movie Montage", that Glen Campbell Forums had posted about below.
It was created by the talented Robert Jones, a Las Vegas-based video editor, in celebration of the 40th anniversary of Glen Campbell's "Rhinestone Cowboy" album!
(Very nice of Mr. Jones to post this downloadable video on Vimeo without YouTube's ads!)

Watch it at: https://vimeo.com/124106915" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And this is the same video on Robert Jones' YouTube channel (which has some other cool vids, too, such as the 80s' teen movie tribute!):

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

Review on popmatters.com:

http://www.popmatters.com/review/192276 ... d-reissue/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...
Dee

Post by Dee »

An updated review of RC40 from The Second Disc:
"The attractive, full-color booklet designed by Susan Lavoie includes a fine essay by Brian Mansfield recounting the album’s history. Robert Vosgien has remastered with clarity. A welcome surprise for the album’s 40th anniversary, Capitol’s new Rhinestone Cowboy is a timely tribute to a timeless artist who paved the way for today’s pop-country crossover stars. It’s, well, a record collector’s dream."
(Note: the booklet is available with the CD, not the LP. Does anyone know if the digital download comes with a PDF of the booklet? -- Dee)

http://theseconddisc.com/2015/04/08/rev ... y-edition/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dee

Post by Dee »

Hi, arlw!

Thank you for posting that you received your RC40's! I am so glad you are happy with them!
I say....go for it, open the vinyl's shrink wrap if you have a good turntable/stereo system!
I should talk...I have not opened my LP yet...right now I am just enjoying the look of this brand new textured album wrapped in pristine shrink wrap with its shiny silver sticker! Same with the CD....it's like receiving a holiday gift that is too pretty to open! I have listened to all of the tracks now, downloaded from amazon.com. They sound fantastic to me!

Thanks, too, for your information about 180-gram vinyl and your very excellent point about the vinyl sounding only as good as the master it was made from. I hadn't thought about that.

Looking forward to the 80th anniversary release now! :)

Dee

arlw

Post by arlw »

Dee,
I just got my LP AND CD of the Rhinestone Cowboy! I love the 180 gram LP! I am debating whether to open it or not----I have some 180 grams records from Japan and other countries. The 180 gram LP is a better sounding record as the vinyl is a little heavier. I love the back of the CD!!!! Terrific quality and well packaged too.

Dee-
All other things being equal, heavier vinyl pressings are usually preferred by audiophiles. Records usually range from 120 to 200 grams in weight. But all things are seldom equal. “If someone does a good job mastering a record and puts it on 120 gram, it’s going to be better than a bad master on 200 gram” ...What this really says is the 180 GRAM of RC is as good as it gets--if you have a decent Phonograph to play it on to actually HEAR the difference.

Going to add these to my collection, but thanks for your post and all your info!!!
Ar

Dee

Post by Dee »

Yay! My RC40's arrived in good form from amazon this week.
Although the 40th Edition of "Rhinestone Cowboy" does not have any imprinted or permanent markings about it being a 40th edition, it does have special stickers on the shrink wraps of the LP and CD. You can see photos of the specially designed stickers below.

In the first photo taken of the sticker on the LP's front sleeve, you can also see a little of the sleeve's texture.

The second photo is of the CD--which has embroidered-looking "stitches" around the cover photos (front and back). This stitching is a nice tie-in to the embroidered-looking LP sleeve.

The third and last photo was taken of the back of the CD--which unexpectedly has a cool photo of the Rhinestone Cowboy. I haven't opened the CD yet, but I learned from a friend that it contains a well done booklet with photos.

Has anyone listened to the 180-gram vinyl album yet? If so, could you share with us how it sounds? I am going to keep my LP in the shrink wrap for now. :)

[Click once on each photo to enlarge the viewing windows.]
RC40_LP_Front Cover Sticker.jpg
RC40_LP_Front Cover Sticker.jpg (50.31 KiB) Viewed 8340 times
RC40_CD_Front Cover_Sticker.jpg
RC40_CD_Front Cover_Sticker.jpg (42.93 KiB) Viewed 8340 times
RC40_CD_Back Cover.jpg
RC40_CD_Back Cover.jpg (124.1 KiB) Viewed 8340 times

Cowpoke

Re: Rhinestone Cowboy 40th Anniversary Album--Previews!

Post by Cowpoke »

Rick, that's 11 good songs, by Billy Graham. My favorite... Honestly Loved.

I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...
Dee

Post by Dee »

Celebrate The 40th Anniversary Of ‘Rhinestone Cowboy’ With This Western Movie Montage

A fun tribute to Glen and his hit song, "Rhinestone Cowboy"!

http://uproxx.com/movies/2015/03/celebr ... e-montage/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dee

Post by Dee »

Interesting...according to a friend in the music biz, the only album cover differences between the original RC album (LP) and the new 40th anniversary release of RC (LP) are:
"...the barcode and catalog numbers. Same red label and the cover is embossed."

I had hoped for a special edition--a stamp such as "40 years" or "40th anniversary album" on the front of it.

Save your money, siblis. :)

Thanks for the insider info, Mike R.

Dee