Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

Rhinestone Cowboy 40th Anniversary Album

REMEMBERING GLEN CAMPBELL - GLEN CAMPBELL WITH CARS - GLEN CAMPBELL MUSEUM
Dee

Re: Rhinestone Cowboy 40th Anniversary Album--Previews!

Post by Dee »

Good point, rickv404, these songs by Bill C. Graham (including Bill as co-writer on three) would make an excellent album.
Wouldn't it be great to have that rarity, "New Snow On The Roof", on CD?
Thanks for providing this list; I hadn't realized that Glen had recorded so many BCG songs, all of which seem to me to be good examples of "crossover songs".

rickv404

Post by rickv404 »

"Record Collector's Dream", "Lonely, My Lonely Friend", "That's Not Home", "Pave Your Way Into Tomorrow", "New Snow On The Roof", "We All Pull The Load", "Give Me Back That Old Familiar Feeling", "A Beautiful Love Song", "Lovelight", "Honesty Loved", "If I Were Loving You". The last three co-written. They would make a great album just by themselves!

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

Eleven? Wow, that much? Can you name them all?

I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...
rickv404

Post by rickv404 »

"Record Collector's Dream" - another great from Bill C. Graham. One of eleven songs he provided Glen.

Dee

Re: Rhinestone Cowboy 40th Anniversary Album--Listen to "QUI

Post by Dee »

rickv404, I totally agree with "Wichita Lineman".
And over 370,000 people, at least, would agree with you about "Gentle On My Mind" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2A7iuQF_tAc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). ;)
Thanks for your diversion. I can't wait to compare the two versions of "Coming Home". Thank you for posting about the differences between these two versions. Please keep the diversions coming!

Let's keep this discussion going, too, with "Quits" and Glen's "signature song"--- and now "Record Collector's Dream". I had only heard RCD on a scratchy 45 until this audio was just released. It's very pop, I think Glen sounds great, and the lyrics and melody are catchy. I like the double meaning in the lyrics, too. This song is now spinning in my mind like a record on a turntable.

rickv404

Post by rickv404 »

No, I would say "Witchita Lineman" is his signature song, or even "Gentle on my Mind", considering the exposure it got from his TV show. As a diversion, the original recording of "Coming Home" is about the same quality as "Quits". Not spectacular, but not bad. I actually like the live version of "Coming Home" from the Essential series a little better. It has a faster tempo.

Dee

Post by Dee »

GC_1975_GCF.jpg
GC_1975_GCF.jpg (24.94 KiB) Viewed 6305 times
With RC40's upcoming release, we thought you would enjoy reading a favorite article from our archives about how the "Rhinestone Cowboy" hit came about for and by Glen Campbell:

How we made: Rhinestone Cowboy
Co-producer Dennis Lambert and songwriter Larry Weiss remember how, inspired by Hop-Along Cassidy, they created Glen Campbell's signature song
The Guardian
May 13, 2013

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2013/m ... one-cowboy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Please keep your comments coming in about "Quits" and also "Rhinestone Cowboy", the album/single! Also, would you agree that "Rhinestone Cowboy" should be considered Glen's "signature song"?

Thanks!
Dee

Dee

Post by Dee »

Maybe "Quits" was too personal of a song for Glen to release in 1975. He and his third wife, Billie, divorced in 1976.

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

I think I understand what you mean. It's not finished, there is no orchestra, like most of the tracks on the album. But that does put Glen's voice and guitar more in the spotlight, which is not a bad thing. Interesting to think if it could substitute one of the tracks of the original album. I always thought that "My Girl" was a little out of place. Most of the songs on the album are about a relationship that has ended or is about to end and the ups and down of a career in the spotlights. In other words, a very personal album for Glen. "Quits" fits this theme perfectly. "My Girl" not actually, although I love Glen's performance.

I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...
rickv404

Post by rickv404 »

"Quits" sounds like a great song for the "I Knew Jesus" album. As it is, it doesn't sound like it was completed for "Rhinestone Cowboy", compared to the finished sound of the other songs on the album. I don't think I would trade it for any of the other songs on the album, but not a bad tune. I bet they dropped it for "We're Over' instead.