Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

Notices of Artists’ Passings

REMEMBERING GLEN CAMPBELL - GLEN CAMPBELL WITH CARS - GLEN CAMPBELL MUSEUM
Mike Joyce

Re: Notices of Artists’ Passings

Post by Mike Joyce »

That is a good article arlw. As I recall Glen sang The world I used to know,which is one of Rod's songs. I have always loved that song as well as Seasons in. The Sun, which incidently was a hit again with a boy band in the UK. It's sad that another great artist has been silenced.

arlw

Post by arlw »

I pulled these LP's from my collection--Glen Campbell is on them!

More Rod ’77 – ROD MCKUEN & FRIENDS. SR-5092 on STANYAN RECORDS COMPANY Released in 1977. Also available from Rod McKuen is another LP called ROD MCKUEN ’77. It is the companion album to MORE ROD!’77 which is this LP. The label is white with brown writing and has a picture of Rod McKuen stamped on the LP on both sides. Glen Campbell is on side 2 and does a with song with Rod called “ISLE IN THE WATER.” The other artists with Glen on this song are Roy Clark and Dick Rosmini. Pet Clark is also on this record and does the vocals on the song called, “THE WIND OF CHANGE.” On “IT WAS A VERY GOOD YEAR” vocal duets are by Rod McKuen and Barry McGuire. On “BABY IT’S COLD OUTSIDE.” Rod does a vocal duet with Liesbeth List. The record and jacket are in very good condition. The LP has some surface scratches and needs to be cleaned. This album marks the 20th Anniversary of Rod McKuen’s entry into the music world as a recording artist. From the thousands of songs, poems, and special material he has recorded (some released and long out of print, some never released.) Stanyan Records, has selected a diverse and sometimes surprising collection as a limited, boxed, numbered and signed five record edition: ROD MCKUEN RETROSPECTIVE 1957/77.

McKuen Country – BS-2931 – 0698-Warner Brothers Records, Inc. Printed in the US. This album of Rod McKuen was released in 1976. (S-41-301). The record is in very good condition, shows some surface scratches, the jacket is near mint condition. Has the Warner Brothers Label on the LP. Produced by Rod McKuen and Wade Alexander Guitars listed are Rod McKuen, Glen Campbell, Roy Clark, Billy Strange, John Morrell, Sneaky Pete, Don Costa, Barry McGuire, Big Jim Sullivan, Dave Koonse. Roy Clark and Pete Seeger also play the banjo. THIS IS A STANYAN RECORDINGS DISTRIBUTED BY WARNER BROTHERS AND TAPES, WARNER BROTHERS RECORDS, INC, A SUBSIDIARY AND LICENSEE OF WARNER BROTHERS INC. Glen Campbell is also listed on the back jacket as one of many performers who have recorded Rod’s music. Others listed are Chet Atkins, Eddy Arnold, Bobby Goldsboro, Tom T. Hall, Tommy Roe, Waylon Jennings, Roy Clark, Johnny Cash, Bobby Wright, Don Cherry, Skeeter Davis, The Nashville Brass, Floyd Cramer, Hoyt Axton, The Anita Kerr Singers, Jimmie Rogers, Leroy Van Dike, Hank Williams Jr., just to name a few! “It is noteworthy that nearly all of these performers listed also write themselves, so they really have to like another writer’s work to perform it.” This album is very rare.

Thanks Rod for all you have done and may you rest in peace.

arlw

Post by arlw »

Mike,
I am with you on that statement-Rod McKuen was ALSO a genius, much like Jimmy Webb! Different styles, but a GREAT writer! He also didn't take credit for a lot of things and let other artists just record/enjoy them! Check out this link:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/30/arts/ ... c=rss&_r=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mike Joyce

Post by Mike Joyce »

Don't you just love these nobody critics who offer their opinions on a great artist and obviously have no appreciation of his work and abilities. I think Rod McKuen wrote some timeless classics like Jimmy has.

arlw

Post by arlw »

Songwriter, Poet Rod McKuen Dies At 81

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/201 ... dies-at-81" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Even though Glen Campbell is not mentioned, Glen played on several of his LP's!

siblis

Post by siblis »

Violinist William ("Bill") Hymanson, the father of Marsha Hymanson of La Cañada Flintridge, passed away Jan. 11 in Montecito at the age of 100.

Hymanson, a native of New York, had a long career performing for the film industry, according to his family. He also accompanied Frank Sinatra, Barbra Streisand, Glen Campbell, Michael Jackson and numerous artists who recorded for Motown Studios.

http://www.lacanadaonline.com/community ... 2619.story" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dee

Post by Dee »

arlw, I am so sorry to learn of your personal losses. Will be thinking of you and your other half tomorrow, especially.
Thank you for your thoughtfulness in wishing us well, and you both take good care, too.

Thank you for posting the other notices.

From Rolling Stone Country, here is a brief article about Little Jimmie Dickens' memorial service and an excerpt of the Vince Gill song, "Go Rest High On That Mountain," that was performed at this service by Vince and Carrie Underwood. According to the article, this song from 1995 "has become 'the most used funeral song in the country....'"

See: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/video ... z3ON8e6QBX" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

arlw

Post by arlw »

Actor Rod Taylor dies in Los Angeles at 84. He was a suave Australian actor whose brawny good looks made him a leading man for films ranging from Westerns to romantic comedies. AND another has left musically!-

Andraé Edward Crouch (July 1, 1942 – January 8, 2015) was an American gospel singer, songwriter, arranger, recording artist, record producer and pastor. Referred to as "the father of modern gospel music" by contemporary Christian and gospel music professionals, Crouch was known for his compositions The Blood Will Never Lose Its Power, My Tribute (To God Be the Glory) and Soon and Very Soon. He is also known for his work during the 1980s with leading choirs that sang on the Michael Jackson hit Man in the Mirror as well as Madonna's Like a Prayer.

We lost our oldest and dearest friend this past week. He was 90, and we are attending the funeral tomorrow! We called him and he called us every night!!!!! Going to miss that...
We also lost in December a very dear friend of my other half---they grew up together and met at age 12 / served in the Air Force and for over 50 years were great friends-he was only 65! We are losing many people this time of the year--please take care of yourselves as we try to do the same on this end.......

arlw

Post by arlw »

NASHVILLE, Tenn.-- Little Jimmy Dickens, a diminutive singer-songwriter known for his sense of humor and as the oldest cast member of the Grand Ole Opry, has died. He was 94. Dickens died Friday at a Nashville-area hospital of cardiac arrest after suffering a Stroke on Christmas Day!

Also another that most of us grew up with! I was surprised at her age!Donna Douglas, who played the buxom Elly May Clampett on the hit 1960s sitcom "The Beverly Hillbillies," has died.

Douglas died Thursday in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, near her hometown of Zachary. The cause of death was pancreatic cancer. Donna Douglas was 82!!

Dee

Post by Dee »

Thank you for the notice, arlw.
RIP, Joe Cocker.
So young at 70, so much music left unsung. As many of you know, Joe Cocker was on Jimmy Webb's last album, STILL WITHIN THE SOUND OF MY VOICE, performing the Jimmy Webb (and also Glen Campbell) classic, "The Moon's A Harsh Mistress".

Jimmy Webb posted this remembrance on his Facebook wall on December 22nd:
For a number of reasons, the news of Joe Cocker's passing is one of the most personally devastating events of this year--or any year.

Joe attended my first marriage ceremony when I was in my 20s--
and I was with him in an LA studio not too long ago where we were working on a track.

I loved him musically because he drew no artificial boundaries between pop and rock. He made me feel comfortable in his world. He was a loving guy who has been -- contrary to his image--sober for most of his life. He was devoted to simply reaching out and helping others.

It was a great honor for Joe to record "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress" on his album Sheffield Steel, produced by Jim Price and again on my most recent cd "Still Within the Sound of My Voice" produced by Fred Mollin in 2012.

When we were last in the studio, it was incredible to watch him sing--he felt each note of the music--he gesticulated each note. The song may have started with his voice but it moved through him to the tips of his fingers.

Time spent with him was always relaxed and enjoyable and to say he will be missed doesn't seem to carry the necessary sense of his importance in my life and in the world of music. But "he will be missed."