Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

Notices of Artists’ Passings

REMEMBERING GLEN CAMPBELL - GLEN CAMPBELL WITH CARS - GLEN CAMPBELL MUSEUM
arlw

Re: Notices of Artists’ Passings

Post by arlw »

'Rose Garden' singer Lynn Anderson dies at 67---Really loved her music and Glen sang some of her songs too!

Lynn Rene Anderson was born Sept. 26, 1947 in Grand Forks, N.D., and raised in California. She came from a musical family: Her parents Casey and Liz Anderson were both songwriters; the latter penned the Merle Haggard hits “(My Friends Are Gonna Be) Strangers” and “I’m a Lonesome Fugitive.”

Ms. Anderson’s debut single, a duet with Jerry Lane called “For Better or for Worse,” was released in 1966, when she was just 19 years old. It failed to chart. However, later that year her single “Ride, Ride, Ride,” cracked the country charts, and its successor, “If I Kiss You (Will You Go Away)” was a Top 5 hit.

What a shame to lose her!

Mike Joyce

Post by Mike Joyce »

If you are going to be remembered for one song this would be a great one to give to the world. It is a timeless classic.

Dee

Post by Dee »

Wayne Carson: Writer of wistful pop-country ballads including the hit 'Always on My Mind' passed away on July 20, 2015 at the age of 72.
Carson had the gift of being able to convey universal human emotions in an original, almost conversational way - perhaps most notably in Always on My Mind, a song recorded by Elvis Presley, Willie Nelson and 800 other artists, including the Pet Shop Boys: "Maybe I didn't love you quite as often as I could have /Little things I should have said and done / I just never took the time / You were always on my mind."
http://www.independent.ie/entertainment ... 04148.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also: Check out NPR's tribute with soundbites at: http://www.npr.org/2015/07/22/425224992 ... dies-at-72" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and Rolling Stone's article: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... 2-20150721" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

arlw

Post by arlw »

http://nypost.com/2015/07/09/ken-stable ... ead-at-69/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not a singer, but did love music. Ken Stabler was a terrific quarterback and way too young at only 69.

This is the reason why men and women should get checked for this disease. If you catch it early you probably will be ok. Ken Stabler was in
Stage 4. He will be missed. I grew up with this guy, what a shame.

rickv404

Post by rickv404 »

Mike Joyce wrote:That's a good question rickv404.
Jerry Reed did the same thing also "Today is mine" and "She understands me" under the name Hubbard on Glen's The last time I saw her album. I wonder if it is a contractual thing with the record companies.
I have heard before that artists have been told to use a different name when writing or they risk breaking some condition of their contacts with an existing label they are signed to.
It would be great to here the answer on this one.
The difference being Hubbard is Jerry Reed's actual last name. "Joe Rainey" was completely made up. I always thought they used "Jerry Hubbard" on the songwriting credits for "Today is Mine" and "She Understands Me" because he was most associated with "Amos Moses" at the time and didn't want the impression that those were that type of song, though on the back cover notes it is indicated that "Jerry Reed" wrote them, but that they were "sensitive ballads".

Dee

Post by Dee »

Did Steve Hardin use a pseudonym for songwriting when he was hired to write songs for Glen Campbell and others? (as opposed to when he wrote songs on his own, not under contract)

From Steve Hardin's bio on Wikipedia:
While back in L.A. with Steppenwolf (late seventies?), Hardin learned that Glen Campbell was wanting to hire a full-time writer for his records, tours, and T.V. performances. He interviewed, got the job, and spent the next five years working with Glen writing songs (using the name Joe Rainey), touring, and performing on The Glen Campbell Music Show.
From: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Hardin" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As Mike mentioned, a pseudonym could have been used for contractual reasons or as part of a financial arrangement (for royalty reasons)?

From BMI's website:
Q: If someone hires me to write a song for them, who owns the copyright and how long does it run?

A: For such “works made for hire,” as they are called, the employer is considered the author, and the copyright, which the employer owns, runs for either 95 years from the time the work was first published or 120 years from the time you created it, whichever is shorter. (That is the same copyright term for an anonymous or pseudonymous work.) In order for the work to be considered “made for hire,” it must be prepared by an employee in the scope of his employment under a traditional employee-employer relationship, or else it must be commissioned as one of several special categories of works (such as part of a motion picture or other audio/visual work) with there being a written agreement between the parties that it is to be for hire.
From: http://www.bmi.com/creators/detail/song ... _copyright" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mike Joyce

Post by Mike Joyce »

That's a good question rickv404.
Jerry Reed did the same thing also "Today is mine" and "She understands me" under the name Hubbard on Glen's The last time I saw her album. I wonder if it is a contractual thing with the record companies.
I have heard before that artists have been told to use a different name when writing or they risk breaking some condition of their contacts with an existing label they are signed to.
It would be great to here the answer on this one.

rickv404

Post by rickv404 »

Anyone know why did he used the pseudonym "Joe Rainey"? He also co-wrote "Rollin'", "Arkansas" and a duet with T.Tucker, "My Song".

Mike Joyce

Post by Mike Joyce »

You are right arlw, it was the live in Dublin concert (1981) in which you can see a good selection of songs Steve Hardin played live on stage. The stage was very cramped as I recall and I got the impression it was a very warm theatre as all the band members seemed to be suffering from the heat including Glen. They did release a double alum of that concert also.
As you say arlw, there are many DVD copies available on ebay and Amazon etc.

Randy

Post by Randy »

Thank you for sharing that Arlw..... NOT