Glen Campbell's New DVD/CD Releases: Adiós June 9th

* JIMMY WEBB * SESSION WORK * NEW ALBUM "ADIOS" * GLEN ON YOUTUBE * AND MORE!

Re: Glen Campbell's New DVD/CD Releases: Adiós June 9th

Postby Dee » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:42 pm

This review from Paste Magazine is a really excellent one; I wouldn't expect anything less from this publication.
The writer first puts Glen's last three albums including ADIOS into thoughtful perspective.

Glen Campbell: Adiós Review
Paste Magazine
By Craig Dorfman
June 5, 2017 | 12:16pm

Ghost On The Canvas was a tearful farewell embrace on the platform, See You There worked as the final wave from the departing train.

Adiós feels instead like a love letter left behind, a rush of goodbyes and appreciations and parting thoughts jotted down to make sure he (Glen) leaves nothing unsaid.

Campbell proves once again that he’s his generation’s finest interpreter of others’ songs....

The lone misstep is the opening cover of Fred Neil’s “Everybody’s Talkin’” which lacks the youthful optimism in Harry Nilsson’s definitive 1969 reading.

...nearly every song has at least one heartstring-tugging allusion to departure or mortality, and for the most part, those lines work. Campbell delivers them with the kind of class and grace that characterized much of his career.

Regarding the biographical song "Arkansas Farmboy" written by Carl Jackson (scroll down to listen to the full music video):
...it’s hard not to imagine the farm as Campbell himself. And when he sings of the “five dollar guitar/that led to a fortune/I’d trade just to go back in time,” it’s even harder not to wish that he could.

You can read the full review here:
:arrow: https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/ ... eview.html
New to Glen Campbell Forums? When you reach the bottom of this page, click on the next page number ------>
Dee
Site Admin

Postby Dee » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:17 pm

The reviews of ADIOS are already coming in!

Album Review: Glen Campbell’ ‘Adiós’
Sounds Like Nashville
By Chuck Dauphin
June 5, 2017 - 9:17 AM

“Funny How Time Slips Away” gets a beautiful treatment, along with a cameo appearance from its’ writer, Willie Nelson.

He (Glen) tips the hat to his longtime friend Jerry Reed on a sterling cover of “A Thing Called Love,” and sounds as traditional as he ever has on his take of George Jones’ “She Thinks I Still Care.”

...the dramatic “Adios” is sure to get much of the attention, given its’ title – and Glen’s passionate performance.

...of the four Webb cuts, perhaps the most poignant is a sobering version of “Postcard From Paris,” which includes his three children with wife Kim. If you can make it through these heartfelt lyrics, and not be moved by their emotion and bittersweet-ness, you need to check your heart – to make sure you have one.

...the Roger Miller-written “Am I All Alone (Or Is It Only Me)”: a performance for the ages....

...the Jackson-penned “Arkansas Farmboy”: a nostalgic look back at his formative years. The song may be the most moving of the lot here, because in spite of all that has happened, that boy from Delight, Arkansas achieved all of his boyhood dreams, and then some. And, thankfully, nothing will ever be able to change that. This is simply one you’ve got to hear – and hear again!

You can read the full review here:
:arrow: http://www.soundslikenashville.com/news ... ell-adios/
New to Glen Campbell Forums? When you reach the bottom of this page, click on the next page number ------>
Dee
Site Admin

Postby Dee » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:41 pm

New! June 5th!

Dee
Site Admin

Postby Dee » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:23 am

Glen Campbell’s upcoming album, ‘Adiós’, includes a song written by Roger Miller, "Am I All Alone (Or Is It Only Me)", with a short intro by Roger.
Pictured are Glen and Roger rehearsing at the Governor’s Mansion in Nashville, Tennessee for a television special that aired on March 10, 1974.
~Dee Z.

(Photo Credit: NBC Press Photo in the Collection of Glen Campbell Forums On The Net)

FACEBOOK_GLEN CAMPBELL AND ROGER MILLER.jpg
FACEBOOK_GLEN CAMPBELL AND ROGER MILLER.jpg (114.64 KiB) Viewed 139 times
Dee
Site Admin

Postby Dee » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:25 pm

Glen Campbell: The Rhinestone Cowboy sparkles to the end...
Express (U.K.)
By Clair Woodward
Jun 4, 2017

This is a great article about the selection of songs on ADIOS:
Glen’s wife of almost 35 years, Kim, explains how the album was made. “The songs on Adios were ones I’d heard Glen sing around the house for the last 30 years, and they’re favourites of his that he wished he’d gone into the studio to record – we got there just in the nick of time.”

...Glen and I were visiting Carl (date/year unknown) and discussing the things Glen wanted to do before he left this world, and the songs he wanted to record.

"One of them was Jerry Reed’s version of Bob Dylan’s Don’t Think Twice, It’s All Right, the song that Glen always played when he picked up a guitar.

“We made a list of the songs, and as we were sat there, Glen started singing Roger Miller’s Am I All Alone (Or Is It Only Me), and I had a tape recorder on me and recorded it – that’s the version that you can hear on the album.”

You can read the full article here:
:arrow: http://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/ ... alzheimers
Dee
Site Admin

Postby Dee » Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:02 am

Carl Jackson & Kim Campbell Discuss How Glen Campbell's Final Album 'Adios' Was a 'Labor of Love'
Billboard
by Chuck Dauphin
6/2/2017

glen-campbell2.jpg
glen-campbell2.jpg (16.1 KiB) Viewed 157 times

If you only read one article or story about Glen's upcoming album, this is the one to read.
Kim Campbell and Carl Jackson share the backstory of the making of ADIOS as well as Carl's long association and special friendship with Glen.

About this new album for fans:
Kim says that she hopes that the fans who have supported Glen -- and their family -- will like what they hear. “I think they will be pleased. I think they will hear the same beautiful phrasing and interpretation that Glen is known for. I think it’s a gift to the fans, and also to future generations. I’m just so pleased that we were able to do it.”

You can read the article here:
:arrow: http://www.billboard.com/articles/colum ... -interview
Dee
Site Admin

Postby Dee » Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:22 am

'Adiós' is Glen Campbell's 64th studio album and features four songs including "Adiós" written by Jimmy Webb.

Glen and Jimmy are pictured here on the cover of Glen's official March 1975 International Fan Club Newsletter. According to the club's secretary, Rosemary (who would be referred to as an administrator or club president these days), this picture was one of a series of photos shot at Jimmy's house for the cover of Glen's 1974 album, 'Reunion: The Songs of Jimmy Webb'.

The release of 'Adiós' will offer in part another reunion of Glen and Jimmy's music. I won't say "final reunion" because Jimmy may have audio recordings of his own with Glen Campbell. If he does, then perhaps we will be able to hear these recordings one day in the future. Also, he may yet release video footage from a concert he and Glen gave at Feinstein's in New York City.

~Dee

[Click on image once to enlarge viewing window.]

Fan Club Newsletter Cover with Jimmy Webb and Glen Campbell-gcf.jpg
Fan Club Newsletter Cover with Jimmy Webb and Glen Campbell-gcf.jpg (189.71 KiB) Viewed 130 times
Dee
Site Admin

Postby Dee » Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:55 pm

www.NPR.org - Songs We Love.jpg
www.NPR.org - Songs We Love.jpg (28.59 KiB) Viewed 134 times

Songs We Love: Glen Campbell, 'Arkansas Farmboy'
www.NPR.org
By Ann Powers
June 2, 2017

NPR music staff and public radio hosts chose Glen Campbell's biographical song, "Arkansas Farmboy", as one of the "Songs We Love".
...the golden voice, Campbell's greatest musical attribute, remains: His singing communicates pathos and grace in equal measure.

You can read the full article with Carl Jackson's thoughts on recording this song and album at:

:arrow: http://www.npr.org/2017/06/02/530934666 ... as-farmboy
Dee
Site Admin

Postby Dee » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:29 pm

Album of the Month (June 2017): Glen Campbell, ‘Adios’
TheBoot.com
By Angela Stefano
June 1, 2017

Image from The Boot c. 2017.jpg
Image from The Boot c. 2017.jpg (14.81 KiB) Viewed 137 times

The Boot’s readers have named ADIOS "Album of the Month" for June 2017! Thank you, fans!

:arrow: Read More: http://theboot.com/glen-campbell-adios- ... ck=tsmclip
Dee
Site Admin

Postby Dee » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:08 am

NEW! Posted on June 2nd by GlenCampbellVevo on YouTube!
"I wouldn't change a thing...." - Glen Campbell

Hi, readers! Check out a new preview of "Arkansas Farmboy" (written by Carl Jackson​), one of Glen's songs on his June 9th release of "ADIOS".

Dee
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to All Things Glen