Glen Campbell's New DVD/CD Releases

* REMEMBERING GLEN CAMPBELL * 2017 CMA WIN! * PINTEREST * AND MORE

Re: New DVD / CD Releases

Postby Dee » Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:38 am

arlw recently purchased the Japanese release of Big Bad Rock Guitar of Glen Campbell (posted below) as well as these three NEW Japanese releases on SHM-CD each with the Japanese OBI.
Looking forward to reading arlw's review of these recordings.
What is SHM-CD format? According to Wikipedia:
SHM-CD is a digital optical disc data storage manufacturing process. It is an improved compact disc product with the greatest change being a different polycarbonate material that allows more precise physical representation of stored bits during pressing and less laser scatter during reading. These improvements aim to facilitate playback by producing fewer errors and potentially better sound quality. SHM-CDs are played on a standard CD player. This process was developed in Japan by Universal Music Japan and JVC.

Thanks, arlw!

Glen Campbell_2016_Japanese Release_WL.jpg
Glen Campbell_2016_Japanese Release_WL.jpg (44.08 KiB) Viewed 612 times

Glen Campbell_2016_Japanese Release_Phoenix.jpg
Glen Campbell_2016_Japanese Release_Phoenix.jpg (44.33 KiB) Viewed 612 times

Glen Campbell_2016_Japanese Release_Gentle.jpg
Glen Campbell_2016_Japanese Release_Gentle.jpg (48.81 KiB) Viewed 612 times
New to Glen Campbell Forums? When you reach the bottom of this page, click on the next page number ------>
Dee
Site Admin

Postby Dee » Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:21 pm

Ar and all --
I received UMe's reissue of "That Christmas Feeling" on vinyl today.
This is just a guess based on the feel of the weight of the new sealed vinyl album. I don't believe it is 180g vinyl.
It is lighter in comparison to the 180g Phoenix vinyl that was released maybe a year or two ago?
The official press release states nothing about "remastering", "180g", etc.
Unless I hear otherwise (and will let you all know if I do), I will likely return the reissue to the retailer because it appears to be no different from the original release.
One small difference: there is a slight color variation in the album cover -- the new one appears to be less warm, less brown/red than the one I bought in 1968. See below.
This is the press release: http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases ... 33383.html

ORIGINAL
Original_Google Images_That Christmas Feeling-gcf.jpg
Original_Google Images_That Christmas Feeling-gcf.jpg (96.29 KiB) Viewed 619 times

REISSUE (pictured with Merle Haggard's reissue)
That Christmas Feeling_2016-09-23-gcf.png
That Christmas Feeling_2016-09-23-gcf.png (361.13 KiB) Viewed 619 times
New to Glen Campbell Forums? When you reach the bottom of this page, click on the next page number ------>
Dee
Site Admin

Postby Dee » Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:04 pm

T.A.M.I.-gcf.jpg
T.A.M.I.-gcf.jpg (67.96 KiB) Viewed 627 times

Shout! Factory will be releasing a Collectors Edition of the landmark rock concert "T.A.M.I. Show" (along with "The Big T.N.T. Show") on Blu-ray on December 2, 2016! A two-for-one! (Available in US/Canada)
One of the most acclaimed rock events ever captured on film, the 1964 concert known as T.A.M.I. Show ... featured performances by several future Rock and Roll Hall of Famers. In a lineup like no other, the Rolling Stones, James Brown, the Beach Boys, Marvin Gaye, Smokey Robinson & The Miracles, the Supremes, Chuck Berry, Lesley Gore and others took the stage one after another on October 29 at the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium.

Aside from the five rock groups, all the performers were backed by a band that we've come to know as the Wrecking Crew, famed for playing on Phil Spector-produced hits, Beach Boys albums and much more, with future stars Glen Campbell and Leon Russell, among others. Fanita James, Jean King, and future solo star Darlene Love, billed as The Blossoms, provided backing vocals.

See SF's site for a trailer and also a goodies announcement: https://www.shoutfactory.com/film/film- ... -s-edition

Details:
Resolution: 1080p
Original aspect ratio
Blu-ray Disc
Region A (B, C untested by the website listed below)
Mastered from a new High-Definition transfer
Special Features:
Interview with T.A.M.I. Show director Steve Binder
New interviews with The Big T.N.T. Show performers Petula Clark, Henry Diltz and John Sebastian
Commentary by T.A.M.I. Show director Steve Binder
Original T.A.M.I Show/The Big TNT Show radio spots
36-page booklet featuring detailed essays by Don Waller and rare photos and memorabilia
(From: http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=19888)
Dee
Site Admin

Postby Dee » Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:14 pm

Ar, I should be able to post whether or not it is 180g by tomorrow evening if "That Christmas Feeling" arrives on the time schedule sent to me by an online retailer today.
(The Phoenix reissue on 180g did not state this info on the album, but it is noticeably heavier than the original issue on vinyl. Also, its original marketing descriptions were very clear about Phoenix's premium vinyl.)
I did find a site on the net that described this album as a limited edition, but it did not specify the number of vinyls produced.
Let us know if the remastered CDs from Japan are appreciably better audio-wise. I am very curious about the sound!
Dee
Dee
Site Admin

Postby arlw » Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:39 am

I pre-ordered that LP from Amazon--Glen Campbell-"That Christmas Feeling"--I am trying to figure out if it's also 180 gram vinyl....I know the Phoenix one is but if anyone knows, let me know and thank you.

The CD's that have been re-mastered and released for 2016-I bought from Japan as they are sealed and all come with the OBI Strip down the side:

[b]
The Big Bad Rock Guitar of Glen Campbell
Wichita Lineman
Gentle on my Mind
By the Time I Get to Phoenix.[/b]

If anyone knows about that Xmas release LP, post it here so others can also see it...
arlw

Postby arlw » Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:28 am

Cowpoke,
I saw that as well- That DVD is already out for those outside the United States--For those in the states, Region 2 will not play, unless you own a DVD that is also PAL Version.

Region: Region 2 (This DVD may not be viewable outside Europe. Read more about DVD formats.)
Number of discs: 1
Classification: Exempt
Studio: Simply Media
DVD Release Date: 23 May 2016

Enjoy this for those that didn't buy it yet :lol:
arlw

Postby Cowpoke » Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:58 am

Thanks Arlw for the information! Your collection is as infinite as Glen's discography... :)

A stupid question perhaps... but did we notice that a PAL version of I'll Be Me was released on DVD earlier this year? Meaning UK and European fans can now watch it too?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Glen-Campbell- ... ampbell%22
I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...
Cowpoke

Postby arlw » Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:30 pm

Just FYI Only:

I had the chance to check Amazon.com today for some Glen Campbell items--beware of some "New Releases" that are NOT new! That Christmas Feeling is an ok 180 gram record of which I will probably pre-order, but check the date of the " Phoenix LP." Even though it says 180 grams, this record is not a pre-order--I have this and it was released in March 2013-my write up from my collection is below. Just wanted to let the fans know that the CD might be new, but the LP is not! My copy is very unique!

Glen Campbell – By The Time I Get To Phoenix – ST-2851. This format is an LP and because it has been re-stored /re-mastered, this record will remain sealed for value purposes only. #509999-12054-14.Capitol Music from EMI. On the back of this jacket they have it originally released as 1966 which is an incorrect date! It should read 1968! Capitol Records LLC. What makes this unique is that it was re-released on 180 gram vinyl, which makes it a better recorded, better sounding record as the vinyl used is a heavier gauge, than the normal LP’s. The picture used on this record is the same as the 1968 released album. The write up is also the same. The spine part of this LP looks worn even though it is a brand new item! Release date of this LP was March 12, 2013. Editorial Reviews-Glen Campbell's By the Time I Get To Phoenix from Capitol Records Nashville's storied catalog reissued on 180-gram vinyl. The album has been mastered for vinyl by Ron McMaster at Capitol Mastering and is packaged in true-to-original LP sleeves with restored artwork. Released in 1968, Glen Campbell's By the Time I Get to Phoenix was also a major genre-crossing success, winning the year's coveted Album of the Year GRAMMY Award and topping Billboard's Country Albums chart at #1 and reaching #15 on the Billboard 200. The Platinum-certified album's title track hit #1 on the Country Singles chart and peaked at #26 on the Hot 100, and the song earned two GRAMMY Awards for Campbell: Best Vocal Performance, Male and Best Contemporary Solo Vocal Performance, Male.
arlw

Postby The_Beach » Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:34 am

Wow i got that CD last week or so and never noticed that typo but mine is like that too! It is Clen Campbells best album ever! :D
The_Beach

Postby Randy » Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:40 am

Guess gotta cut back where you can and save ink or something. Makes ya appreciate the good ole Capitol (let's see capitol, not capital right lol) record days where you could buy a 45rpm vinyl for less than a buck and still get correct spelling. :D
Randy

PreviousNext

Return to All Things Glen