Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

Glen Campbell's Studio Sessions

REMEMBERING GLEN CAMPBELL - GLEN CAMPBELL WITH CARS - GLEN CAMPBELL MUSEUM
admin
Site Admin

Re: Glen's Studio Sessions

Post by admin »

Posted on Saturday, February 01, 2014 - 04:52 pm:

I hadn't heard that Al had passed away. When did that happen.
Arlw, you must have a massive record collection.
How many albums do you have in round figures.
What about you Cowpoke?
When I was younger I used to buy all the compilation albums but eventually I gave up as I was just duplicating the same hits over and over.Still I have about 200 albums and about 50 CD s relating to Glen.

-Mike Joyce

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Saturday, February 01, 2014 - 04:32 pm:

picked this up:

Al DeLory-“Somebody’s Knockin’” - FA-7744 on First American Records. This LP is a 1980 release and the label is red in color with blue stars on both sides and written in black. This LP is all Al DeLory, but because DeLory was Glen Campbell's producer for more than 25 years, I think this LP deserves to be added to ones Glen Campbell collection! This LP is also a promotional record, so if Glen is actually on here, it would add more value to it. The LP and jacket are near mint condition. It is produced by Al DeLory and the musicians are listed on the back-no mentioning of Glen anywhere but one never knows with Al!

A First American /D. and E. Production. The LP is Manufactured and Distributed by First American Records, Inc. That company is located in Seattle, Washington. This record contains 9 total tracks. It has 4 on side one and 5 on side 2.Al DeLory and Steven Lyle Olitzky are on the Keyboards and Synthesizers. Al has passed away but his daughter Donna is also into music and knows Glen Campbell quite well, as her father and Glen were not only co-workers, but great friends! On the LP itself it says and is etched in-“Mastered by Allen Zentz, L.A. California.” This promo LP is an original release with some great tunes such as “Somebody’s Knockin’, Endless Love, Arthur’s Theme, There’s No Gettin’ Over Me, Hill Street Blues, Here I am (The One That You Love) and more. The label is “A First American/Cruise Production” and a promo too. Once again the release of record is 1980, and it is very possible that Glen Campbell played a role in this recording but just wasn’t given any credit for it. Just the two guys having the working relationship that they did, make this an endless wonder. It is a rare find for this Al DeLory promotional record and it might have Glen on it! That is the reason for adding this and placing it in my collection of Glen Campbell. Even though Al was his producer for many years, anything is possible. FA-7744, promo LP.

-Arlw

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Monday, January 06, 2014 - 03:16 am:

Well all I can say is that I have proof in the form of an AFM session contract that Glen plays on that record. As I said he was session leader as well. And John Stewart (of The Kingston Trio) is on there too (I see he also produced the record). On bass is Wrecking Crew legend Joe Osborn and on drums, also very interesting, is Donovan Cotton, who played with Glen in The Western Wranglers back in Albuquerque. Glen introduced him to the Hollywood session scene and got him to play on some of his records.

I would love to hear it sometime, because now I wonder who is the lead singer on that single. Maybe Glen or John?

Thanks for bringing this single back to my attention Arlw!

PS: was able to listen to "Poor Albert" because the seller uploaded a mp3 of the A-side. Nice song, sung by John Stewart. Would love to hear the b-side as well, which is described as "proto cow punk". Mmm... I wonder what THAT sounds like LOL!

-Cowpoke

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Sunday, January 05, 2014 - 08:05 pm:

In a few emails back/forth to the seller about this Atco 45, Glen is just on the record playing guitar along with Bob Shane and this is a one-time release of this record but will pass on it. That POMONA JOE PENNYWORTH is the name of the band which is kind of neat but still want to search my records.

-Arlw

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Sunday, January 05, 2014 - 07:22 pm:

Cowpoke,
I emailed the seller--it appears it is Glen according to them and that John Stewart is from the Kingston Trio, but in reading about John's website--there is no mentioning of that obscure 45! They are also guessing that he is on there. I like to be certain before I buy things. On another note:
I have all the recordings from the Kingston Trio, LP's, 45's, demos, and CD's so maybe it's on one of them!!!

-Arlw

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Sunday, January 05, 2014 - 06:15 pm:

Thanks--just seems a bit odd when you read about the record on other sources, they don't even mention Glen. I will let this one just slide as I need more proof than that and the seller that has it for sale and just mentions Glen's name really needed to add that to his listing! Thanks Cowpoke

-Arlw

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Sunday, January 05, 2014 - 04:59 pm:

Hi Arlw,
yes I can confirm Glen is on there. It was recorded on 6/6/1966 at Gold Star Studios and Glen was session leader!

-Cowpoke

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Sunday, January 05, 2014 - 02:30 pm:

POMONA JOE PENNYWORTH.POOR ALBERT IS GONE/THREE WK.45.---JOHN STEWART and GLEN CAMPBELL-This is a 45 on The ATCO Label from 1966. It's available on ebay and they mention Glen Campbell but I can't find anything that backs this info up. Anyone else know?

-Arlw

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Saturday, January 04, 2014 - 07:49 pm:

The Everly Brothers - Beat and Soul -Glen does studio guitar work on this album. Warner Brothers 1605./ WS 1605. This album is imported from Germany. LC-0392. 1965 release.

THE EVERLY BROTHERS – Heartaches and Harmonies – This is a special order 4 CD set on RHINO RECORDS R2- 71779, released in 1994. There are 103 tracks on these 4 CD’s, including their top ten hits, plus rare and unreleased cuts-a 60 page all color photo filled booklet and more! Bonus track: this includes a previously unreleased Coca-Cola Radio Spot from 1964. Glen Campbell appears on this set and is acknowledged in the booklet for playing the studio guitar on many songs. There are Demo Versions / 1951 Versions / Single Versions / Previously Un-issued Versions /Material Versions/Alternate Take Versions/ Version Two/. This is a very rare CD set. Glen is not listed on the box, but is listed inside. ISBN – 1-56826-455-0. (8122-71779-2). these recordings are all the originals, and have been digitally re-mastered

The Everly Brothers – Beat & Soul – Warner Brothers Records in Monophonic. W-1605. (9030/9029). The Promo LP lists this record as “BEAT N’ SOUL.” This LP is a Promotional White Label Record in Mint Condition.-Promotion-Not For Sale. This is an original release from 1965. A Virtually un-played near mint DJ Copy. This record is one of their strongest albums featuring top-notch backing by James Burton, Glen Campbell, Sonny Curtis, Larry Knechtel, Jim Gordon, Leon Russell, Billy Preston and others! This is a fabulous Promotional DJ Copy with Glen Campbell on here doing studio guitar work from 1965. This album is from 42 years ago when Glen Campbell was only 28 years old and at the time of this recording, The Everly Brothers were only about 25. Very rare LP in such great shape.

For those that are into studio session work with Glen and the "Everly Brothers"-enjoy. There are more available but they are radio shows! We will miss you Phil! What a great Duo they were!

-Arlw

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Saturday, January 04, 2014 - 06:51 pm:

Cornbread and Chitlings / Melodrama – KEESTONE FAMILY SINGERS. This 45 is on the original CALLIOPE Label # 6505. The Everly Brothers, Glen Campbell, and Carole King sing on this rare 45. The record is distributed by Warner Brothers Records. (EX-12698/EX-12705.) Glen Hardin wrote “Cornbread and Chitlings.” The other song “Melodrama” was written by “King/Goffin.”

Phil and Don started their own record company called CALLIOPE. To be honest, CALLIOPE was really mostly Don's side adventure. He wanted to do something very different, far from the Everly sound. Using the name Adrian Kimberly he recorded three singles for CALLIOPE. Only the first release ''POMP AND CIRCUMSTANCES'' - ''BLACK MOUNTAIN STOMP'' (Calliope 6501) found any success. The others were soon lost in obscurity. Phil too recorded for CALLIOPE. He teamed up with Glen Campbell and Carole King (The KEESTONE FAMILY SINGERS) and recorded ''CORNBREAD AND CHITLINGS'' - ''MELODRAMA'' (Calliope 6505). This record had to been recorded in the early 60’s time frame. The release date is 1962. This information came from The Everly Brothers Website. This recording falls under the “studio session days” for Glen Campbell.

Since Phil Everly just passed away-I thought I would post this in honor of him and yes, Glen Campbell is on this record from 1962!

--Arlw

[Note: "Cornbread and Chitlings" is posted on YouTube as of October 2014. The link for this YT audio is: http://youtu.be/9pjtJkEKG8s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Dee]