Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

Best of Glen Campbell on YouTube

REMEMBERING GLEN CAMPBELL - GLEN CAMPBELL WITH CARS - GLEN CAMPBELL MUSEUM
Cowpoke

Re: Best of Glen Campbell on YouTube

Post by Cowpoke »

Glen never did do much blues music, but the Milk Cow Blues was one of his favorites.

I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...
Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

Here are the latest additions to the Glen Campbell Forums youtube channel. In 1982 Glen hosted the World's Fair in Knoxville, TN. He opened with Southern Nights...

and then, in a separate venue at the World's Fair performed a rousing version of Rocky Top!

More soon to come!

jay

Post by jay »

I think he ended up performing it in an acoustic-only segment during his shows. I think he would do about 3 songs. Of course, I think this approach was the best. Few can pull this off, as it was nothing.

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

This version is actually pretty close to the studio version which was released October 1979. In that version Glen also sings along that line with the horns. In later performances he left that out.

KMFrye54

Post by KMFrye54 »

Interesting... At a couple of points he seemed to be indicating that the pace was slow. It was definitely a little more laid-back than the version he did in the South Dakota Symphony (PBS) special, which was a few years later on.

But I was intrigued when he vocalised what I've heard so many times as the horns in the tag ending - "ba, ba baa, ba-ba ba-da-baa!"- Were there no horns in that stage band?

And it's very nice to see the blue 12 string. I miss that.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Glen Campbell performing Highwayman... the latest addition to our Glen Campbell Forums youtube channel

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

Yes getting closer! My guess is that Glen visited with Michael Parkinson around the time he was touring the UK (April - May 1981). Let's see if we can find a performance from 1980 or very early 1981 with that ending!

KMFrye54

Post by KMFrye54 »

An '81 British TV show of Glen, with the tag ending.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zngrnpy2Wwo

The air-date is likely traceable by some.

Then, in May '81 at West Point... 6:35 into the clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVmqxtsw0eI

Gettin' closer!

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

Update: I have a recording of Glen performing Rhinestone Cowboy in 1980. Here he ends with a high-pitched "yeah like a rhinestone cowboy!" but during the song he sings "just like them rhinestone cowboys... and girls!" Was that the start of it? I think we assume that somewhere in 1980 or 1981 he started adding "and cowgirls!" at the end of the song.

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

About the date for the 1977 concert at The Royal Festival Hall... found this review in my little newspaper archive (thanks to my GC pal Phillip Jones). The concert was recorded April 2, 1977.
Review of 1977 Royal Festival Hall concert, Tony Byworth, Country Music People, May 1977, p. 8
Review of 1977 Royal Festival Hall concert, Tony Byworth, Country Music People, May 1977, p. 8
concert_review_glen_campbell_festival_hall_1977.jpg (88.1 KiB) Viewed 110305 times
So Glen started ending Rhinestone Cowboy with "and cowgirls!" somewhere between April 2 1977 and May 8 1981.
Or... he started doing it before that, but just didn't do it at The Royal Festival Hall... :D