Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

Best of Glen Campbell on YouTube

REMEMBERING GLEN CAMPBELL - GLEN CAMPBELL WITH CARS - GLEN CAMPBELL MUSEUM
Dee

Re: Glen Campbell on YouTube and Other Video Sites

Post by Dee »

Hi, Randy, I am so glad you brought up that earlier ending to WL. I had totally forgotten about it.

Hmmm....wonder if GC changed the ending when he began to perform WL in Branson? We'll find out!

Dee

Randy

Post by Randy »

If the date is right here in 1992 The Witchita Lineman still had a "Witchita Lady on his mind"

https://youtu.be/Qbq7RZ-S9A0?t=161" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

Well, I found the cd and guess what... in 1994 in Branson Glen sings "And I'm doing fine"! He sings it slightly different, shorter and more simple then he does later.
On the In Session CD with, recorded in 1989 I think, Glen still sings "got a wichita lady on his mind". So somewhere in the early 90s Glen must have switched. Randy, maybe you can find a live version of WL from 1991 - 1993 on youtube?

I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...
Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

Hahaha. No Randy these are all important issues for fans like us. I wonder about those things myself.
The "Got a Wichita woman on his mind" ending to Wichita Lineman to me seems to be a thing of the 70s and 80s. But when the transition to "And I'm doing fine" took place is a very interesting question! Let's see if we can pinpoint this!

On Glen's Live at the Dome concert in Doncaster, England in 1990 Glen does not sing either ending, it's just the band that plays the final chords. So I think Glen came up with "And I'm doing fine" after 1990? Now what did Glen do on his 1994 live album from Branson. I can't find it right now!

I do prefer the "And I'm doing fine" ending but I have always wondered what he actually meant by it. Did Glen feel the song was too sad without it? Or did he mean it ironically, that in fact the narrator in the song is NOT doing fine? Or did Glen, session musician at heart, just thought the song needed a real ending, especially when done live, regardless of the precise words?

And yes I do think that Glen's guitar solos got better. For instance, Glen's guitar solo on MacArthur Park. In the seventies that was just a flurry of notes, incredibly fast but to me it didn't mean so much. Glen's later solos, like the one he did on the 2001 Live with the North Dakota Symphony album, was so much grittier and soulful and plain beautiful.

Great questions Randy. Thanks!

Randy

Post by Randy »

And thanks Cowpoke for this upload..... Was just wondering when the ending of "Witchita" transformed from "got a Witchita lady on his mind" to "And I'm doing fine" which I much prefer the latter. So guessing it was somewhere between 1998 and 2000.

Am I the only one that wondered this? Lol.... And am the only one that prefers this ending?

Also anyone but me think that the guitar solos in all of Glen's songs got better?

Randy

Post by Randy »

And another very nice interview that I thank Breautube for the upload !!!

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

Yes it does sound magical doesn't it, just the two of them. After this performance they play "a little Highwayman" as Jimmy puts it, but that is rudely cut off in the middle when the program ends. :cry:

Mike Joyce

Post by Mike Joyce »

Oh Cowpoke, that was wonderful. It kinda chocks me up to see something new like this. Both Jimmy and Glen just create this magic in a very relaxed and laid back manner because they have this tremendous talent to work with. It just reminds me again of what we have lost. Thank goodness these sessions were recorded for us all to see later down the line.
On a separate point. It would have been wonderful to have an album of Glen unplugged doing some of the hits and stripped down versions of some ballad type songs. Like he did at the concerts with Streets of London etc.
I really appreciate you uploading this clip Cowpoke. I assume they did other songs on the show. Did they do a full play of Where's the play ground Susie. As that was what they were laying at the start.

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

Posted another video on my personal youtube account. It's Glen with Jimmy doing Wichita Lineman. Mike Joyce, you might like this one as well! :)

Mike Joyce

Post by Mike Joyce »

That is good news arlw,
I hope to see more videos in the future. I guess we should offer more encouragement and show our gratitude in the comments section when we see these great clips otherwise Breautube may sometimes feel it is all taken for granted. As you mentioned arlw, it does take a lot of effort to upload these clips and Breautube has been very dedicated in sharing all these gems with the fans over the years. I for one would like to say a big thank you Breautube and I have really appreciated seeing those rare videos of Glen doing great performances over the years. They have always brought a smile to my face.