Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

Check Out This Link - Glen Campbell News on the Web

REMEMBERING GLEN CAMPBELL - GLEN CAMPBELL WITH CARS - GLEN CAMPBELL MUSEUM
jay

Re: Check Out This Link

Post by jay »

LOL...busted...I was just seeing if anyone read these...
Lots of great assets that would qualify her for CW, if she wanted.

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

Ehm... Jay, Brittany Spears in your top 5 female country singers? :D

I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...
Mike Joyce

Post by Mike Joyce »

Hi Dee, Yes Linda, has glided across many styles of music but she is rated number 40 in the CMT top 40 female country artists and had big country/pop hits with Silver threads and golden needles,I can't help it(if I still in love with you) , Crazy and Blue Bayou. Don't forget her work with Dolly Parton and Emmylou Harris as a singing trio for awhile. I just think she had a great voice.
Mary Chapin Carpenter has had a number of country hits also. Shut up and kiss me winning a Grammy award. Her albums Come on,Come on and Stones in the road were hit albums and she has had airplay on country radio for years. I would say that she is more in the John Denver area of folk though. Still these artists do cross over well.

https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourceid ... ry+singers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here is a list of female country artists. Some I must say I have never heard of, but many great ones in there as well.

jay

Post by jay »

OK...in no particular order, my top 5 female country artists

3. Patsy Cline
1. Linda Ronstadt
5. Brittany Spears
2. Emmylou Harris
4. Dolly Parton

Dee

Post by Dee »

Super lists!
Yes! Patsy Cline!
But where is Lorrie Morgan? :)
Example: I guess you had to be there (music video with Kris Kristofferson playing the cheating husband, oh Kris!)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gY3VD4fDQBY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mike, just my two cents: I never thought of Linda Ronstadt as a pure country artist with a "country sound". Like GC, she crossed music genres. Same with Carpenter, perhaps more soft rock? Which songs do you think she was best on in terms of best country female artist?

Okay, Cowpoke, I jumped over to YouTube to check out TT's other hits including the song titles listed here by other posters.
I recognized some of her later hits songs, had forgotten how country great her voice was and is now.
This 2014 performance popped up in YT's suggested vids, and I was taken aback by this new (to me) depth of emotion in her voice that (I feel) brings this song to an even higher level:
Two Sparrows In A Hurricane (live at Billy Bob's Texas)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEZOPkw0B_8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mike Joyce

Post by Mike Joyce »

If you wont argue with Cowpoke's list Randy, then I will :D

1) Alison Krauss
2) Suzy Bogguss
3) Trisha Yearwood
4) Ann Murray
5) Linda Ronstadt
6) Crystal Gayle
7) Mary Chapin Carpenter

I know the list is longer but love them all for various reasons. Linda's and Ann Murray's voices, fantastic. Mary Chapin Carpenter, great songwriter. Suzy, Trisha and Crystal sang some great tunes and I could listen to them for hours.

Randy

Post by Randy »

Certainly a nice list I wouldn't argue with Cowpoke

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

Ha, that's a wonderful list Randy. Patty Loveless I don't really know so I will look her up on youtube. My list for what it's worth...

1. Alison Kraus
2. Dolly Parton
3. Tanya Tucker
4. Crystal Gayle
5. Patsy Cline

Randy

Post by Randy »

Cowpoke, here would be my top 5 female country artists

1. Patty Loveless
2. Reba Macentire
3.Tanya Tucker
4.Loretta Lynn
5. Tammy Wynnette

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

Sweet Dee, shame on you! :D Tanya had 10 number 1 hits and 40 top 10 hits on the country charts!
And Randy, now you got me curious, which other female country artists are in your top 5? In have a few in mind myself but would love to hear your favorites first.