Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

Glen Campbell and Dick Bills in Albuquerque

Share your stories about Glen while he lived and worked in New Mexico (1952 - 1960)
arlw

Re: Glen and Dick Bills

Post by arlw »

Cowpoke,
If you and others like Dick Bills--this one is on ebay--Glen is not on here, but it is nice to have!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Songs-From-The- ... 1515336114

9/7/2018 -- Thank you, ar!
Just a small update today to replace the old ebay link for Dick Bills' album, Songs From The Hills, to YouTube's relatively new album playlist at:

:arrow: https://tinyurl.com/ybwalg6b

(The CD can still be purchased on various marketplaces online. Occasionally, the vinyl LP shows up, too!)

arlw

Post by arlw »

Cowpoke,

The DJ friend of mine just emailed me so will post what he said--remember it's just his research like mine. Because he is in the Dallas area, he and I were able to chat on the phone. I wanted his opinion on this record so I value what he said and wanted to pass it onto you. Below is what he emailed me!

I’ve never seen this one, but if its a 78rpm, which it appears to be, it would be mid ’57 or prior and can't find anything to back up that "Glen Campbell" is on here!

Can’t find anything on this release anywhere. If it came from a Forum, sometimes they are not accurate, just my opinion. Glad to hear from you-interesting record-my opinion-"No Glen on here, as it's a little to early by a year or two."

arlw

Post by arlw »

Cowpoke,
Not quite sure that is Glen Campbell- and I even listened to it----In doing some research, there are many places that say it could be, and that is only because Glen is the nephew of Dick Bills. Other sources disagree as they claim that 1954-55 is too early. My 45's date back to 1958-59 and are signed by Glen. I emailed my DJ guy here in the Dallas area. I am hoping for a reply and if he does, I will post it for sure. One way or the other, we will know! If Glen was on an early recording, like that and that would make him 17-18 years old, they used Glen for background guitar only but have to remember, they didn't release it! Thanks for the post--interesting!

Cowpoke

Glen Campbell and Dick Bills in Albuquerque

Post by Cowpoke »

There is a lot of say about Glen's time with Dick Bills. But I think this is the first recording ever with Glen playing, a single by Dick Bills and his Arizona Drifters called "Beggars Can't Be Choosers" (released June 1954 on the 4Star custom label Vicki (named after Dick Bills' daughter)). The lead guitar licks weaved in between the verses certainly sounds like it could be a young Glen.

http://www.bopping.org/four-star-op-cus ... e-1950-58/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...