Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

Glen's Music Peers - What Are They Doing Now?

REMEMBERING GLEN CAMPBELL - GLEN CAMPBELL WITH CARS - GLEN CAMPBELL MUSEUM
dee2

Re: Glen's Music Peers - What Are They Doing Now?

Post by dee2 »

Follow-up post to the Tribute to Roger Miller album announced in a previous post below:

((Listen)) to a preview of Dolly Parton (featuring Alison Krauss) singing THE LAST WORD IN LONESOME IS ME and Brad Paisley on DANG ME:

....at RollingStone's website: https://www.rollingstone.com/music/musi ... cs-698556/

dee2

Post by dee2 »

2018-08-02_ELVIS COMEBACK SPECIAL POSTER.jpg
2018-08-02_ELVIS COMEBACK SPECIAL POSTER.jpg (44.79 KiB) Viewed 10488 times
Another PEER update today, this one about the King of Rock 'n' Roll!

Fifty years after Elvis Presley's infamous, televised '68 Comeback Special, fans around the world will have an opportunity to watch the special on the big screen, "king-size", at a Fathom-sponsored event on August 16 and 20, hopefully at a movie theater near you!

Iconic Television Special starring singer Elvis Presley, originally aired on December 3, 1968. It marked Elvis Presley’s return to live performance and re-launched Presley’s singing career. This anniversary event includes the legendary television special, plus an exclusive look at the making of the special, featuring a walkthrough of the NBC soundstage with insights from director/producer Steve Binder and others influenced by Presley, his music and this iconic event. For showtimes and ticket pre-orders (highly recommended by Dee), U.S. and International, visit Fathom's official website at: https://www.fathomevents.com/events/elv ... l/theaters.*

FATHOM PREVIEW:
*Excerpt and trailer are courtesy of Fathom Events.

dee2

Post by dee2 »

^
^
Roger Miller
January 2, 1936 - October 25, 1992
^
Official PR Photo_ShoreFire_KOTR_Roger Miller.jpg
Official PR Photo_ShoreFire_KOTR_Roger Miller.jpg (47.91 KiB) Viewed 10182 times
^
Twenty-six years after Roger Miller passed away, the King of the Road will be honored with an important tribute album due for release by BMG on August 31, 2018. Produced by Miller’s son Dean Miller and Colby Barnum Wright, the 2-disc album includes covers by more than 25 artists, from Dolly Parton to Ringo Starr. A television special in honor of Roger is in the works, too.
^
Early press notes* provide a tantilizing short list of things you may or may not know about Roger Miller:
He was a fireman who got fired for sleeping through fires.
He held the record for the most GRAMMYs in a single night for 18 years — until Michael Jackson broke it in 1984 with ‘Thriller.’
He and Leonard Nimoy were in Army boot camp together.
He was one of the first people to reach the site of the plane crash that killed Patsy Cline.
His songs have been covered by George Jones, Barbra Streisand, Glen Campbell, Neil Diamond, R.E.M. and dozens of others.
He beat out The Beatles for a GRAMMY award.
He recorded the first version of “Me and Bobbie McGee.”
He had a rhyme for “orange.” (“Door hinge” according to Roger's son Dean.)
King of the Road_Roger Miller Tribute Album_Official PR Photo.jpg
King of the Road_Roger Miller Tribute Album_Official PR Photo.jpg (55.5 KiB) Viewed 10182 times
^
The Official Press Release for 'King of the Road: A Tribute to Roger Miller':
^
'King of the Road' Recruits Ringo Starr, Kacey Musgraves, Willie Nelson, Dozens More to Honor Roger Miller
Out Aug. 31, the Tribute to Country's Most Influential Eccentric also Features Dolly Parton, Kris Kristofferson, Merle Haggard
'King of the Road: A Tribute to Roger Miller,' out Aug. 31 via BMG, pays long overdue respects to one of American music's premier entertainers and songwriters. The two-disc collection contains new renditions of Miller's songs by Ringo Starr, Dolly Parton, Eric Church, Loretta Lynn, John Goodman and more than two dozen others, including Willie Nelson, Kris Kristofferson and Merle Haggard on one track. Produced by Miller's son, Dean Miller, and Colby Barnum Wright, 'King of the Road' offers a fresh look at the work of a creative giant who has been gone 26 years but whose genius continues to shape contemporary music in ways both overt and subtle.

Before Miller's premature death of cancer at age 56, the Country Music Hall of Famer had 31 Top 40 Billboard country hits (10 of which crossed over to the pop chart), including his signature songs "Dang Me" and "King of the Road." He held the record for most GRAMMY wins in a single night until Michael Jackson and 'Thriller' broke it in 1984. Miller wrote songs and voiced a character for Walt Disney's 1973 Robin Hood film. He also wrote the music and lyrics for the Tony-winning Big River, helping launch the career of actor John Goodman, who reprises the musical's "Guv'ment" on 'King of the Road.' As Dean Miller writes in liner notes accompanying 'King of the Road,' "Roger Miller was too gigantic to be contained by genres and definitions."

'King of the Road' includes versions of Miller's biggest '60s hits, like "Chug-A-Lug" (Asleep at the Wheel ft. Huey Lewis) and "England Swings" (Lyle Lovett), and lesser-known treasures from a catalog full of gems. As with Miller's own output, the album contains plenty of unexpected turns -- country superstar Eric Church's playful take on Robin Hood's "Oo De Lally," for instance, or Starr's selection of "Hey, Would You Hold It Down?," a song from Miller's long-out-of-print 1979 'Making a Name for Myself' album. By any standard of measurement, Miller was "one of the greatest songwriters that ever lived" -- even if he did say so himself. And he did, in the first of a handful of the album's live-performance interstitials that capture the spontaneous wit of a mind that operated at a breakneck pace.

There is a television event in the works, more information coming soon.

The scope of material and performances on 'King of the Road' both capture Miller's personality and convey an astonishing legacy that's still felt today. "Roger Miller didn't have to say much," Dean writes in the liners. "You were simply drawn to him. He had a magnetic smile, and electric wit and a passion for life and music that transcended generations."

'King of the Road: A Tribute to Roger Miller' Tracklist:
Disc One
Greatest Songwriter (Banter)
Chug-a-Lug - Asleep at the Wheel ft. Huey Lewis
Dang Me - Brad Paisley
Leavin's Not the Only Way to Go - The Stellas/Lennon and Maisy
Kansas City Star - Kacey Musgraves
World So Full of Love - Rodney Crowell
Old Friends (Banter)
Old Friends - Willie Nelson, Kris Kristofferson, Merle Haggard
Lock Stock and Teardrops - Mandy Barnett
You Oughta Be Here With Me - Alison Krauss ft. The Cox Family
The Crossing - Ronnie Dunn, The Blind Boys of Alabama
In the Summertime - The Earls of Leicester ft. Shawn Camp
Fiddle (Banter)
England Swings - Lyle Lovett
You Can't Rollerskate in a Buffalo Herd - Various Artists
Half a Mind - Loretta Lynn
Invitation to the Blues - Shooter Jennings, Jessi Colter
It Only Hurts Me When I Cry (Live) - Dwight Yoakam

Disc Two
Mouth Noises (Banter)
Oo De Lally - Eric Church
Engine, Engine #9 - Emerson Hart ft. Jon Randall
When Two Worlds Collide - Flatt Lonesome
Reincarnation - Cake
You Can't Do Me This Way and Get By With It - Dean Miller ft. The McCrary Sisters
Chicken S#$! (Banter)
Nothing Can Stop Me - Toad the Wet Sprocket
Husbands and Wives - Jamey Johnson ft. Emmylou Harris
I'll Pickup My Heart and Go Home - Lily Meola
I Believe in the Sunshine - Daphne and the Mystery Machines
Guv'ment - John Goodman
Old Songwriters Never Die (Banter)
Hey, Would You Hold It Down? - Ringo Starr
The Last Word in Lonesome Is Me - Dolly Parton ft. Alison Krauss
I'd Come Back to Me - Radney Foster ft. Tawnya Reynolds
One Dying and a Burying - The Dead South
Do Wacka Do - Robert Earl Keen, Jr.
King of the Road - Various Artists

*Press Release & Photos Courtesy of Shore Fire Media

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

Glen's Beach Boy buddy Al Jardine is launching a solo tour called A Postcard from California. I bet Al will tell some Glen Campbell stories (and maybe even show some footage of Glen recording "A Postcard from California" with Al, just a guess from my part) during these concerts.

http://www.classichitsandoldies.com/v2/88519/

I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...
Dee

Post by Dee »

Johnny Cash’s Acclaimed ‘Unearthed’ Returns As Nine-LP Vinyl Box Set*
JC.jpg
JC.jpg (9.53 KiB) Viewed 11346 times
Although the world lost the great Johnny Cash on September 12, 2003, his music remains as popular as ever, if not more so.
On November 3, 2017, the Man in Black's previously-released box set, "Unearthed", will be reissued for the first time on vinyl in a nine-album, 79-songs box set. The albums will be pressed on high-quality 180-gram vinyl.

From Wikipedia:
'Unearthed' is a box set by Johnny Cash, released two months after his death in 2003. It was produced by Rick Rubin and released by American Recordings. The first three discs feature outtakes and alternate versions of songs recorded for American Recordings, Unchained, American III: Solitary Man and American IV: The Man Comes Around. The fourth disc, My Mother's Hymn Book features gospel songs Cash first learned from his mother as a child and was later reissued as a standalone release. The final disc is a best of distillation of the first four American albums. Rock historian Graeme Thomson in his monograph, The Resurrection of Johnny Cash: Hurt, Redemption, and American Recordings has called 'Unearthed' a monolithic achievement. It was certified Gold on 12/2/2004 by the RIAA."

Did you know that Glen Campbell is on one of the set's 79 tracks? Check out track no. 12 on disc 3, "Redemption Songs", from the original CD release of 'Unearthed':

*For more information about the new box set, you can read the press release here:
:arrow: https://www.udiscovermusic.com/news/joh ... vinyl-box/

[Edited 8.21.2018-updated video link DZ]

Dee

Post by Dee »

Looking forward to listening to Jeff Dayton's new album, Cowpoke.
Another peer and friend of Glen's has also announced a special project:

Dolly Parton, the "Fairy Godmother" of country music, will release her first ever children's album 'I Believe in You' and a reissue of her children's book, Coat of Many Colors.
Dolly_I Believe in You Album Cover.png
Dolly_I Believe in You Album Cover.png (113.71 KiB) Viewed 11392 times
The 14-track album features songs of inspiration written and performed by Dolly including a new recording of her signature song "Coat of Many Colors" and a spoken audio track with Dolly reading the song's lyrics. The children's book is based on this same song and was previously released in 1996, after Dolly started the "The Imagination Library", her non-profit organization that has freely distributed over 100 million books to children in the U.S., Canada, U.K., Australia, and Belize. According to the official Dolly Parton website, all proceeds from “I Believe in You” will support this organization's mission.

Early press reviews reveal the new album should appeal to children and adults.

What else has Dolly Parton been up to?

The ACM Honors recognized Dolly's tremendous philanthropic work with a special merit award presented to her on August 23, 2017.

Shortly after the official announcement on August 8th that Glen Campbell had passed away, Dolly Parton (with Charlie Daniels) was one of the first music artists to publicly recognize Glen's enormous legacy with a videotaped tribute that was tweeted and then picked up by major television networks and cable channels. I felt that her strong affirmations ("Glen is one of the greatest voices that ever was in the business" and "he was one of the greatest musicians") forever sealed Glen's place in the history of country music. You can watch or re-visit this recorded tribute here: https://youtu.be/Z0GAgz5hKJs.

This year is a special one for Dolly Parton: she released her first album "Hello, I'm Dolly" on the Monument label 50 years ago. Her self-assured smile pictured on the album's front cover seems to suggest Dolly knew she was destined for a long and brilliant career in country music.
Hello, I'm Dolly Parton_1967.jpg
Hello, I'm Dolly Parton_1967.jpg (20.2 KiB) Viewed 11392 times
As one of Glen Campbell's most talented and generous peers in the music industry, Dolly--like Glen--has made our world "a better place".

We believe in you, Dolly Parton.

Tracklist for “I Believe in You”

"I Believe in You"
"Coat of Many Colors" [New recording]
"Together Forever"
"I Am a Rainbow"
"I'm Here"
"A Friend Like You"
"Imagination"
"You Can Do It"
"Responsibility"
"You Gotta Be"
"Makin' Fun Ain't Funny"
"Chemo Hero"
"Brave Little Soldier"
Bonus track: Coat of Many Colors [book read by Dolly Parton]

If you are interested in obtaining the new book and/or CD, you can visit Believe's dedicated website at:

:arrow: https://imaginationlibrary.com/music/

c. D. Zink 2017 for Glen Campbell Forums
[Edited 8.21.2018 to updated dedicated website URL. DZ]
# # #

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

Thanks Dee. That makes it easy for me to post about... Jeff Dayton, Glen's former guitarist and bandleader. Jeff is doing a tribute concert later this month in La Junta, Colorado.

http://avcca.weebly.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And, also this month, Jeff will release an album called "Glen and Me".

Read more about it here:
http://www.jeffdaytonmusic.com/HOME.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dee

Post by Dee »

Bringing this topic back up to the top of Glen Campbell Forums.
~Dee

Cowpoke

Re: Check Out This Link

Post by Cowpoke »

Thanks Randy for that post. I never heard that song before. One of those songs that were a hit in the USA but never crossed over to the other side of the Atlantic.

Randy

Re: Check Out This Link

Post by Randy »

On Glen's musical peers topic, it says it's locked so posting this one here. [Unlocked now and moved your post to this topic, Randy, as well as Cowpoke's reply. Thanks! ~Dee]

Didn't realize until reading on wikipedia that the song "Precious and few" by the group Climax included some of Glen's wrecking crew band mates. Happens to be one the songs I play regularly on you tube.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climax_(band)

[Update: 8.21.2018-video clip no longer available on youtube. DZ]