Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

Need a G.C. expert if this single issue is really him

REMEMBERING GLEN CAMPBELL - GLEN CAMPBELL WITH CARS - GLEN CAMPBELL MUSEUM
arlw

Re: Need a G.C. expert if this single issue is really him

Post by arlw »

Dee,
There was 1 year where we were able to see Glen in Concert 4 times!!!/take photos/chat with him, and those memories will always live forever. He is a gracious man with True Grit! He always MADE the time for his fans!
Richard Price emailed me several times along with Hair/KOA. I think between the 4 of us, we had it all! I also have Sagittarius and everything else Glen did, whether is was him on guitar/background vocals/anything else. That French 45 is cool-I have that as well and I love it. The TRUE GRIT from Spain is another terrific 45 as Glen sings it in Spanish. 75 45rpms is cool. I think I am closing in on 600 and that's just the 45's--includes, promos/all imports and anything Glen was on/played in. I could tell you what I have in the way of LP's/CD's/DVD's as that is one file broken into 16 different files as they got so huge, we had to be creative!

Dee

Post by Dee »

Hi, Ar,
You had asked for others to post about the details of their collections.
First, you must have one of or The Most Rarest Collection in the Campbell world -- a signed "Death Valley" 45 is unheard of, much less the other signed rarities in your collection. Holy cow!
You were blessed to have met Glen in person so many times and also to have discussed his recordings (and collectibles) with him. Those moments are priceless, aren't they?
Unfortunately, I can't answer your question with details.
Back when the Internet came to be, one of the first things I looked up was "Glen Campbell Discography". I found a simple chart online that someone had compiled of Glen's album titles, and I started to use it as a sort of check list to find out which albums I had yet to find. (I still have that chart...it's amazing to see how many (great!) albums Glen released since the early 90's.)
Then, Wikipedia came online and, at some point, I discovered long-time Glen Campbell Fan Richard Price's outstanding Glen Campbell Discography, the genesis, I believe, of the discog'y now on Wikipedia. I imagine Richard may have worked with you (and Hair? KOA?) on this project? Then Cowpoke?
Richard's list included both LPs and singles, so I copied and pasted it into an Excel spreadsheet that became my "Glen Campbell Database". I kept the hyperlinks in the spreadsheet so that I was able to link from the XLS to Wikipedia to view album tracks and other details. (At some point, the hyperlinks no longer worked; I think Wikipedia changed URLs or something or maybe album pages were moved on Wiki's site.)
I used this XLS as my new checklist. When Glen released a new album or DVD, I added it to the worksheet. (Singles were listed on another worksheet.)
At one time, I had time to cross-check between Richard's titles and the titles I already had and the new titles I was purchasing/am purchasing, avoiding duplicate entries.
Then...I got busy with other things including the GC Forums, and I just starting inputting anything I had bought or had received to the spreadsheet without cross-checking--and ended up with duplicates--my entries and Richard's.
Different formats are pretty much on one line or row ("Ghost On The Canvas" - LP, CD, mp3) unless the album was a special release with extra tracks ("Meet Glen Campbell").
So, when I look at the number of rows now, the number of rows is inflated. Got to clean up this worksheet for sure, 'cuz right now I have no idea of a total number!
The discography spreadsheet includes radio recordings on vinyl and similar releases.
The singles worksheet is more manageable. I probably have about 75 vinyl singles (excludes those singles released on cassette or disc such as "Postcard From Paris"). This number includes some duplicates and also includes a couple of Glen's Uncle Boo's singles on the "Dee-Light" label. :)
Also, I generally don't collect the singles (or albums) on which Glen plays as studio guitarist; just cannot afford "to go there" -- with few exceptions such as "Sagittarius".
I still have some singles with Glen singing the vocals yet to find. Also, I am not a "completist"; I have one Ceneco single, that's enough for me (as well as one Crest, one or two GA Challenges, one Kaybo, one Capehart, etc.).
My fav 45s are "Guess I'm Dumb" (because I am both a Brian Wilson & Glen fan); "Death Valley" (took me years to find it at a price I could afford and in excellent condition); "100 dollars pour un sherif" (aka "True Grit") on a French label and with a picture sleeve; and super thoughtful gifts (such as a Dutch picture sleeve/rare 45) from friends/relatives.
The treasures in my collection are the "Ghost On The Canvas" vinyl album and the "Ghost" CD Glen signed for me when we met up on the 2011 Goodbye Tour, but not so much because these items are signed, it was the precious time I spent with him, the first and last time I met Glen when I was an adult and no longer a swooning, tongue-tied teenager!
Thank you so much for all you have contributed here to the Forums, Ar, and also for your tremendous contributions to documenting Glen's extensive discography and for your kindheartedness in sharing this information!
Dee

arlw

Post by arlw »

other records might say acetates, like some PROMO CD's but they are far from this 45!!! I only have this one!

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

Thanks Arlw. Do you have any more acetates in your collection?

I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...
arlw

Post by arlw »

That is correct Cowpoke----Either the DJ gets a copy or Glen himself! It is almost always a ONE SIDED ACETATE and the platters are very heavy! Also, this makes them vulnerable to being broken as they are like glass!

The DJ's use these as a test to play it on the air and then hold onto them as they also know the rarity...

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

Wow Arlw very cool. I don't believe I ever read about this piece in your collection. Can imagine it's awesome to have. An historic piece. Is it correct to say that an acetate like this would be send to a few disk jockeys to "test the waters" for this particular single?

arlw

Post by arlw »

That's easy Cowpoke--ALL of them!! The one that stands out for me price wise is this one from my collection and I only have the one!

WHERE’S THE PLAYGROUND SUSIE – Glen Campbell – This is an acetate record and is very rare. It is a one sided record, and it is very heavy and thick. It is hand written on the record with white ink of some sort, could be whiteout, as it can be rubbed off. On the blank side, it has a small crack that can peel away, but won’t affect the playing as the song is on the other side. There is no date of any kind listed on this record. The record has a lot of surface scratches on it. There is a number that is etched into the record.70489. These acetate records are very rare and very expensive, because there aren’t many of them made to begin with. They are used for radio Disc Jockey’s and are given to the artists themselves. I was fortunate to obtain one of these from my friend, who I thank very much. This recording was done in mono

I also value this as well as it is framed:

Nothin' Better Than A Pretty Woman / Valley Of Death - Glen Campbell, Capehart Records # 5008, original release on red colored label. Jimmy Bowen and Hal Fransen, producers. Serial number etched in is CA-3461-5018 E7587. Very rare, released in 1961. This copy is autographed by Glen Campbell

All the imported material will cost you either a LOT for the record or POSTAGE or BOTH, depending on what it is. I am curious to see how many 45's and LP's/CD's/DVD's you all have before I post what I own. I didn't separate the LP's from the CD's or the DVD's when counting my material--the only different section would be my 45's and they are combined with US/Overseas recordings!

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

Okay, question for both Arlw and Rob. Of all the singles that Glen made which one get the highest price in auctions?

Other question: what is for you the most valuable piece in your GC collection?

Thanks for posting Arlw and Rob. I value your posts very highly!

arlw

Post by arlw »

Appreciate your input as well-check these out-they are also from my collection and ALL on CREST: I was amazed to find these!! One of these is autographed. Just some more to look for!

Turn Around, Look At Me / Brenda. Crest # 1087

Once More / The Miracle Of Love - Crest Label, 1962, original release # 1096

Song Of New Orleans / The Young And Blue - Crest Records # 1101. Jerry Capehart, both sides instrumental. Glen does guitar work on here

Buzz Saw / Annie Had A Party - (Glen Campbell) The Gee Cees. Crest Label # 1088, 1961 original release in very good condition. Both sides are instrumentals. Autographed by Glen Campbell

Glen Campbell – Turn Around Look At Me/Brenda – Crest Records, original release #1087, release date 1961. Produced by Jerry Capehart. Glen plays guitar on this record and also was the co-writer on Turn Around Look At Me. This is a very rare 45 as Campbell is misspelled on the side of Turn Around Look at Me-“CAMBPBELL.” The other side Brenda is spelled correctly. This is why this record is so rare, as there weren’t many made like this as Crest Records caught this error and corrected it. Has some surface scratches, would rate it as fair to good condition.

Buzz Saw Twist/Buzz Saw Twist – (Glen Campbell) – The Gee Cees # 1088, on Crest label Both songs are instrumentals. Release date is 1961/1962. This is a very rare record, as Crest made the same label and same song on both sides. The flip side should have been, “Annie Had A Party.”- With Eddie Cochran. There were also 2 releases of this record, one was Buzz Saw, the other was Buzz Saw Twist. According to the dealer, this is considered to be more of a promo by Crest records, instead of a mistake. Not many of these were made, and soon changed to the original labels. The record is near mint condition, has the original blue Crest label, on both sides. First thought the record had 2 labels that were the same, turns out that the song is also the same, that is what makes this 45 so rare and hard to come by.

Glen Campbell-THE MIRACLE OF LOVE/ONCE MORE- This 45 is a very rare record as it is a CANADIAN PRESSING ON THE "QUALITY LABEL." # 1385X-S2/1385X-S1. By arrangement with CREST RECORDS, IN THE U.S.A. The song Miracle Of Love was written by Jerry Capehart and Glen Campbell. The song Once More was written by Jerry Capehart. This 45 was Manufactured in Canada By Quality Records Limited. The original Crest was # 1096 on a blue colored label. This "QUALITY LABEL FROM CANADA" is a yellowish off white/split by a red top that says QUALITY. The lettering/writing is in red. There is no date given on this 45. The record appears to be in pretty good shape, with a few minor surface scratches.

RARE Glen Campbell “BRENDA/TURN AROUND, LOOK AT ME” – 1961 release date. This copy is on the original CANADIAN QUALITY LABEL. The record is in very good condition, and sounds even better! BRENDA is a great up-tempo teen sound. (1358X-S1 and 1358X-S-2) , By arrangement with CREST RECORDS, U.S.A. Brenda was written by Billy Paige, and Turn Around Look At Me was written by Jerry Capehart. Glen also was a co- writer in this particular song, as he wrote the second verse to the song! MANUFACTURED BY QUALITY RECORDS LTD. This is a very rare 45 from CANADA. The label is red on top and beige/yellow on the second section. This 45 is 40 years old, and is in great condition! The weight of this 45 is heavier than the CREST released copy. The vinyl used might have been different.

Glen Campbell – Turn Around, Look At Me/Brenda – This 45 is a 1960 DEBUT SINGLE for Glen Campbell, imported from Great Britain. Released in 1960 in Great Britain. This 45 is 34 years old. It is in very good condition. Ironically, the A-side “Turn Around, Look At Me” was originally intended for Eddie Cochran! Top Rank International Records. Made by Electric and Musical Industries Ltd. In Great Britain. JAR-596. (45-KR-1149/1150). Recording First Published 1961 – (Crest Recording.). The center adapter is built into this record so no additional adapters are needed to play this 45. Cross Music Ltd. The record label is mostly red with a small amount of white on it, and the writing is in black/white. Comes in the original Top Rank Records Label Sleeve. Made in England. This 45 is considered a very rare 45 on this Top Rank Label.

Glen Campbell – Turn Around Look At Me/Brenda – this is an imported 45 with the center adapter built into the record so it’s ready to play. Imported from Great Britain. Release date is 1961. It is on the TOP RANK INTERNATIONAL Label. Made By Electric And Musical Industries LTD. In Great Britain. JAR-596. (45KR-1149/1150.) Recording First Published in 1961-“Crest Recording.” The label is red and white with black lettering. The record is in excellent condition and it comes in the original TOP RANK Company sleeve, which is in good condition. Cross Music Ltd. This is a very rare record imported from England. The sleeve also says Made In England. An original overseas release from 1961. This record is 43 years old and Glen Campbell was only 25 years old when this was recorded.

Four Young Men – This is a RARE 45 released on the CREST WHITE Label in 1961. “Sweetheart Of Senior High / Just For Tonight” –Crest Records #1083. This is a 1961 original recording with Glen Campbell playing guitar on “Sweetheart Of Senior High.” This record is 45 years old and is in very good condition. Glen Campbell was only 24 when he recorded this song with Wayne Moore. The Four Young Men of which Glen Campbell was part of, lasted from 1959-1963. This name “The Four Young Men” was a group of studio musicians that played a variety of music such as Folk, Pop, and Bluegrass. This record is extremely rare to find anywhere and in such great condition

robduloc

Post by robduloc »

If you go to one of The Beach Boys shows, that's John Cowsill on drums!