Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

"Glenn Sings Glen" performance yesterday

REMEMBERING GLEN CAMPBELL - GLEN CAMPBELL WITH CARS - GLEN CAMPBELL MUSEUM
Cowpoke

Re: "Glenn Sings Glen" performance yesterday

Post by Cowpoke »

Hi Glenn,
thanks for your concert review... of your own concert! :D It's great to hear that the audience loved your performance so much and went home with a new appreciation for Glen's music. That's just awesome. Thanks so much for doing these shows!

As for Glen on the Grand Ole Opry. According to youtube channel Breautube (a very reliable source) Glen debuted on The Grand Ole Opry in 1983. I know Glen made several appearances there in the 90s as well. Interestingly enough and I am sure it's no coincidence, Glen recorded his first album in Nashville around 1983 (Letter To Home). Before that, he had always recorded in Hollywood.

I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...
gtrglenn

"Glenn Sings Glen" performance yesterday

Post by gtrglenn »

We finally got a chance to do our full tribute presentation to GC yesterday at the Plainview/Old Bethpage Library on Long Island.

Beautiful facility. The house was nearly full, with about 180 people in attendance. Our drummer Phil was on the date and was well-prepared. The videos played pretty much without glitches and the band heard all the cues. Yours truly was in pretty fine voice, nailing the high notes in "Galveston" and "Turn Around, Look At Me."

I did a Q & A after the last song (we had to fill 75 minutes, and the show runs an hour) and I managed to come off as a GC expert. There was a question as to whether GC had ever appeared on the Grand Ole Opry. I confessed that I did not know, but suspected not given their very conservative policies at that time and that GC was too much of a "pop" star. If I am mistaken, please let me know.

Lots of folks came up afterwards to complement the presentation, especially the fact that we included onscreen lyrics so they could sing along. One fellow wondered how I held the notes for so long (...still on the liiiiiiiiiiiiiiine"). But I was most pleased with the people who said they did not come in being big fans of Glen's music but left with a new appreciation. That seems to sum up the prevailing opinion around here. I had mistakenly assumed that everyone shared my enthusiasm.

So we'll keep our fingers crossed that more bookings will come as a result of yesterday and I can continue being a GC booster locally.