Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

Goodbye Tour outfits

REMEMBERING GLEN CAMPBELL - GLEN CAMPBELL WITH CARS - GLEN CAMPBELL MUSEUM
Dee

Re: Goodbye Tour outfits

Post by Dee »

This information is from a long-time Glen Campbell fan and Forums member, Shelia, with regard to the white or cream jacket Glen wore at the 2012 Grammy Awards:
"Glen wore this jacket at the concert in Biloxi in 7/11 that I was able to attend."
She also added that the picture she had taken with Glen in Biloxi shows the same embroidered design with oak leaves and acorns.
Many thanks, Shelia!

This article has a gallery of photos of Glen wearing the Manuel-designed jacket.
http://newsok.com/campbell-shines-in-1s ... eed/277431" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

______

Also, the Grand Ole Opry video that I just posted under Glen's Children's Musical Careers shows Ashley in what appears to be a Manuel designer jacket.
Ashley Campbell_Grand Ole Opry.jpg
Ashley Campbell_Grand Ole Opry.jpg (19.24 KiB) Viewed 6131 times

Dee

Post by Dee »

When a clothing designer gets credits in the liner notes of an artist's album, that is significant.
Thanks for your reply, SenatorV.

When I was researching for SenatorV's answer posted below, I learned that Manuel is credited for Johnny Cash's look: The Man in Black.
This is the back story from Wikipedia:
It was early 1956 and Johnny Cash was just about to go on tour. He called Manuel and said I would like to have nine new suits.
Three months later Cash calls Manuel and says "I got the suits I ordered from you."
"Good," Manuel said. "Are they all right?"
Cash paused. "How come they're all black?"
"They're all black," Manuel said, "but they're not all the same style, you know."
"Yes," Cash said.
"So?"
"So, OK, let's try it."
Cash tried it and kept ordering from Manuel for 40 years. "I want four of this, four of that, but you..." Cash would say.
"You know what?" Manuel responded.
"Black," Cash stated.

Mike, thanks for posting about Manuel designing Glen's white suit for the Rhinestone Cowboy album. I had totally forgotten that scene in the doc.
Now we have confirmation that Manuel was Glen's tailor at least as far back as 1975.

I wonder if Manuel designed the country-style shirts Glen wore on tour?

SenatorV

Post by SenatorV »

Hey there

Thanks for the quick and thorough reply. I looked on Manuel's site prior to posting the question but didn't see any evidence of his having made any clothing for Glen. I suspect you are right, though. I've been a fan of Manuel since he got a credit in the liner notes of Dwight Yoakam's "Hillbilly Deluxe."

Cheers!

Mike Joyce

Post by Mike Joyce »

Welcome SenatorV, You might be interested to know Manuel Cuevas, designed the white suit featured on Glen's Rhinestone Cowboy album 1975. He is included in the film "I'll be me" discussing the suit and I could see he had great pride in making these suits for Glen and others as well.

Dee

Post by Dee »

Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums, SenatorV.

Great question!

I am going to venture a guess: Glen Campbell's country couture for the Goodbye Tour was designed by Manuel (Cuevas).

If you google Manuel's name and Glen's, you will see many search results confirming Glen was one of Manuel's clients for many years.

You can check out Manuel's official website on which you will see similarities between some of the jackets shown in the gallery and Glen's jackets worn on the Goodbye Tour.
:arrow: http://manuelcouture.com/shop/?product_cat=menswear" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Manuel custom designs each jacket. No two designs are alike. I never knew about this customization until I looked closely tonight at photos of the jackets Glen wore on tour. In Manuel's gallery, you will find what appears to be the same royal blue fabric with similar (but not the same) embroidered motifs. Similar styling as well.

Glen wore Manuel designed clothing at least as early as the 1990s. There are some 90's talk show interviews with Glen on YouTube that show him wearing a beautiful black jacket with similar embroidery to the Goodbye Tour jackets. If I remember correctly, a grey one, too!

At one time, Glen owned a Manuel-designed jacket made with plum-colored fabric. About 20 years ago, Glen gifted this jacket to Steve Wariner. Steve wore this jacket when he attended/performed at Glen's memorial service last week.

Here is a confirmed design by Manuel for Glen that looks very much like the blue Goodbye Tour jackets. What do you think?

Glen wore a white-colored jacket with beautiful embroidery and rhinestones when he performed at the Grammys in 2012. What a great moment for Glen Campbell!

A (Getty-copyrighted) photo of Glen wearing this jacket can be seen here:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/ar ... asted.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Below is a close-up photo I took of Glen's Grammy Awards jacket on display at the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum as well as a picture of the museum's plaque that describes this jacket.

Manuel's design with embroidered oak leaves and acorns is brilliant. Symbolically, the oak leaf and acorn represent humble beginnings, potential, patience, faith, power, endurance, and strength. All of these words perfectly befit the Rhinestone Cowboy, Glen Campbell.

Thanks again for posting your question, SenatorV.

c. D. Zink 2017

SenatorV

Goodbye Tour outfits

Post by SenatorV »

Hey Glenophiles

Anyone know who tailored those fabulous jackets he wore on the last tour? Some pretty snazzy stuff. Especially like the one that matched his bright blue G&L Commanche (photo attached). Let me know.
Glen in blue
Glen in blue
117919c86e120f10405cd7bc13a51b75.jpg (23.87 KiB) Viewed 6199 times