Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

Glen Campbell's Last Studio Album 'Adios' ~ Now Gold!

REMEMBERING GLEN CAMPBELL - GLEN CAMPBELL WITH CARS - GLEN CAMPBELL MUSEUM
Dee

Re: Glen Campbell's New DVD/CD Releases: Adiós June 9th

Post by Dee »

Glen Campbell's upcoming album, ADIOS, includes a brief recording by the legendary singer and songwriter Roger Miller.

ADIOS TRIVIA: Did you know that Glen was Roger's best man at his wedding in 1978?
Roger married musician and singer Mary Arnold, who was a member of the country-rock band "Kenny Rogers and The First Edition".
This is a photo of Glen and Roger at his wedding.
Glen Campbell and Roger Miller 1978.gif
Glen Campbell and Roger Miller 1978.gif (15.93 KiB) Viewed 6111 times
(Photo credit: Roger Miller Memory Book 1970s, Roger Miller website)

Dee

Post by Dee »

New Official Music Video for "Everybody's Talkin'"

Dee

Post by Dee »

No, I had not seen the bonus album with Adios, Cowpoke. Thank you.
Is this the 2009 Greatest Hits album that was remastered or remixed?
It is not listed on amazon in the U.S. with the CD but will watch for it!

The Making of ADIOS in the Studio is available again on YouTube!

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

Did anyone notice this special 2 disc edition of Adios yet?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Adi%C3%B3s-Gle ... B06ZZJX6D2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The second disc is a greatest hits compilation.

I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...
Dee

Post by Dee »

Glen Campbell ADIOS-sm1-gcf.jpg
Glen Campbell ADIOS-sm1-gcf.jpg (28.22 KiB) Viewed 6227 times
arlw, as well as other audiophiles, will appreciate this information:
Online music retailers are now advertising the vinyl album ADIOS is pressed in 180 gram vinyl!
One site describes it as: 180 Gram Audiophile Virgin Vinyl LP.
Amazondotcom has now changed the vinyl album's title description to: "Adiós (LP 180g)".
UMe is going all the way with Glen Campbell's last album!
~Dee

Mike Joyce

Post by Mike Joyce »

Hi Dee, Yes you said it very well. Glen sings from the heart and the lyrics seem to mean a lot to him. I for one do love Glen's earlier albums with the Al de Lory strings, but as you say some don't feel that way. Glen himself did enjoy singing with an orchestra and I think he liked the range of colours his songs could convey (especially Jimmy's songs) which were very sophisticated.
But getting back to this song. I watched Ground hog day this evening. Every morning Phil Conner's the main character who is living his live over and over each day, goes to the window and sees the same view. As we know on the last day he pulls the curtain back and realizes it is a new day, not the same as all the other thousands he had just lived. That is how this song hit me. It was totally unexpected because we didn't know it was coming and yet it was everything we had always wanted. As I have said before, I think those around him, Carl and his family, instinctively knew what was needed to bring the best out of Glen and with the laid back instruments it let Glen's voice ring through.
Glen didn't need to be repackaged, his unique talent and style was all we ever wanted to hear, because that is what we have always loved about him.

Dee

Post by Dee »

Some songs grow on you and others are instant hits. - Mike Joyce
Thanks, Mike. You hit on what is so special about "Adios", I feel: it is an instant "hit"; not referring to charting. It is love at first listen.
Glen's vocals grab you and you hang onto every word as if you are hearing this song for the first time. Linda Ronstadt's version just falls away from one's mind.

This is the type of song and production that some Glen fans have wished for for years. Glen's vocals without, for example, Al de Lory's elaborate orchestration.

Perhaps it grabs us because of the lyrics, too, as sung by a master interpreter and imbued with meaning.
I think we can link the lyrics to Glen's life (he makes the lyrics so personal on this recording) -- at the same time we know these little connections are only coincidences -- still it makes the song all the more bittersweet and "sadly, beautiful".
(my comments in parens)

We never really made it baby
But we came pretty close (harkens back to "Didn't We")
Adios, adios

Our dreams of endless summer
( = Glen and The Beach Boys)
Were just too grandiose
Adios, adios

And I miss the blood red sunset
(the lights -- no longer -- shinin' on me/Rhinestone Cowboy -- or maybe this line just refers to all the beautiful things in life?)
But I miss you the most (Glen's wife, Kim)
(-Jimmy Webb)

Mike Joyce

Post by Mike Joyce »

Hi Cowpoke,
Yes, what you say is spot on. I was totally taken off guard when I first played the song. Some songs grow on you and others are instant hits. Of course we all know the song by Jimmy and Linda's performances. I loved Linda's version but Glen's has just blown me away. As you say Glen hasn't tried to over sell it. Glen loves the song and is singing it for the songs sake and not to make any other point. As was mentioned in Dee's link to Rolling stone. This album isn't about Alzheimer's disease it is about the music and lyrics of great songs.
Having said all that, I feel that the song and hopefully the whole album seems to have been produced with a lot of love and sensitivity by those working with Glen and I am sure Carl Jackson's involvement has helped in that process a great deal.
This will be on of Glen's finest albums. But I think the fact it was totally unexpected, makes it a gold nugget found by chance.

Dee

Post by Dee »

Hear Glen Campbell's Heartbreaking Farewell Song 'Adios' [article and music video]
Ailing musician bids goodbye on his final album with a bittersweet Jimmy Webb tune
RollingStone
By Stephen L. Betts
May 2, 2017
Glen Campbell Releases ADIOS.jpg
Glen Campbell Releases ADIOS.jpg (53.69 KiB) Viewed 6247 times
High praise for "Adios" published by RollingStone today!
...rather than a collection of mere musical afterthoughts, the LP stands among Campbell's best – heartbreaking and imbued with poignancy, but sung with the same pure, sparkling vocals that are a distinguishing hallmark. - Stephen Betts
"This album is just kind of a gift from the gods" - Jimmy Webb
Read the full article here and also listen to the audio of "Adios", the new album's title song. Or watch the official video embedded below:
:arrow: http://www.rollingstone.com/country/pre ... um-w480203" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dee

Post by Dee »

Yes, I hear what you are saying, Cowpoke.
Beautifully expressed.
I listened to Glen's new song, "Adios", twice. As the DJ said, "it is almost too much" emotionally to listen to.
I feel it is one of the best recordings of Glen's career, and this is saying a lot, isn't it?
And, Mike, I agree...having heard two of the songs from ADIOS now, I also feel this album will be ranked as one of the best of the latter years (possibly one of the best of his career).

Under the Glen and Jimmy topic, I posted a link to Jimmy Webb's streamed event held at the Country Music Hall of Fame & Museum on April 29th, 2017.
If you don't have time right away to listen to this 90-minute program, maybe try to listen starting at around 1 hr. 24 min. and on to the end.

Jimmy is asked by the program's moderator about Glen's new album, ADIOS. You will appreciate his response.
And then...Jimmy performs "Adios"...giving the performance of his lifetime, imo.
Watching his performance, I felt deeply he was singing this song to Glen. See what you think.

Hope you all can watch the entire program soon.

Here is the Hall of Fame's link: http://countrymusichalloffame.org/Conte ... QW1BRPyuUn" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;