Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

Glen Campbell's Last Studio Album 'Adios' ~ Now Gold!

REMEMBERING GLEN CAMPBELL - GLEN CAMPBELL WITH CARS - GLEN CAMPBELL MUSEUM
Cowpoke

Re: Glen Campbell's New DVD/CD Releases: Adiós June 9th

Post by Cowpoke »

Glad you liked/loved it so much. Actually your post made me listen to it again. It is wonderful isn't it. Why do I find Glen's singing here so moving, even more than when he sang in his heyday. Is it because I know the backstory of Glen's illness? Or has time and heartbreak added an extra emotional layer to Glen's voice? Or is it a combination? If I try to describe what moves me the most about Glen's singing Adios it is this. Here's Glen and we know all about this terrible progressive mental disease that forces him and his loved ones to say goodbye, long before the end. And here's this beautiful sentimental sad Jimmy Webb song. Add the two together and there is every chance that the whole thing goes over the top. Yet it doesn't, because the third ingredient is of course Glen's voice, which sounds so honest, humble and grateful through it all. And that is what moves me the most. He is not pleading for pity, he's being completely unselfish while sharing his pain and love with the listener. Does that make any sense? :)

I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...
Mike Joyce

Post by Mike Joyce »

Oh Cowpoke, This is so wonderful. Everything about this performance is so beautiful. The arrangement, Glen's vocals and in particular Glen's emotional impact in his singing. It is Glen at his best. If the rest of the album is as good as this, it will be ranked as one of Glen's best albums in his latter years.
Thank you so much for the link Cowpoke. I had missed this show. But I have replayed Glen about four times now.

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

Goosebumps while listening to Glen's version of Adios...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08n1gj9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

At around 1h 45m into the show.

Dee

Post by Dee »

Tip for members and readers new to Glen Campbell Forums: There are currently 36 pages of posts under this topic. Click on a page number in the upper right hand corner or the lower right hand corner of this page to view the other pages. If you are registered for this website, click on "Post a reply" to join in on the discussions here. :) ~Dee

Dee

Post by Dee »

Hi, Bonnie,

I put a couple of shout outs on the web about Roger Miller's song on Adios and will keep you posted should I receive responses.
It's tragic that the legendary "King of the Road" appears to have an inactive official website, no forum/discussion board on the web, and no active Facebook page (not that I could find).
Otherwise, we could contact his official sites for info.

Here's an interesting discrepancy:

According to uDiscoverMusic.com, Roger Miller's track on Adios has a spoken introduction by Miller.
(http://www.udiscovermusic.com/new-relea ... inal-album" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

Yet the official press release by UMe (and other sources) states:
Other songwriters featured include Roger Miller with "Am I All Alone (Or Is It Only Me)," which begins with a home recording of Miller singing the tune at a guitar pull before going into Campbell's rendition with Vince Gill on harmonies....
Roger Miller's track is listed individually on amazondotcom and is 45 seconds in length. I guess he could be introducing the song before singing a few lines?

I had to read up on "guitar pulls", not knowing what is a guitar pull. It seems the original pulls began in the south, namely in Nashville, with informal gatherings of songwriters who would hang out in someone's living room, passing around or "pulling the guitar" from one songwriter to another. They would sing, pick and demo songs, sometimes making up songs on the spot. In between songs, they would tell stories. (Reminds me of Ralph Emery's All-Star Jam.) One source mentioned it was rare for guitar pulls to be recorded.

It will be exciting to hear an excerpt with Roger Miller from an early guitar pull, wouldn't it? Also to learn how a rare recording from Roger Miller's estate, I assume, came to land on Glen's Adios!

Great point about how perfect it is for Adios to feature more Glen and Jimmy's collaborations!
June 9th can't come fast enough.

Maybe you can let us know if you find the Jimmy Webb songs on YouTube as sung by him?

A video of Carl Jackson performing his GC biographical song "Arkansas Farmboy" is available on YouTube--I embedded it below. :)

Bonnie, thank you again for posting about Roger Miller's song. I hadn't given it much thought until you mentioned a recording of it couldn't be found on YouTube!

Dee

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQ9UzzYpdzY [/youtube]

Bonnie

Post by Bonnie »

Hi Dee, thanks for your thoughtful reply. I'm just so curious about the Roger Miller song, but if I have to wait till June to hear and perhaps learn more about it, so be it! There are also others on the track list that I'm not familiar with. I think I read that there are a few Jimmy Webb songs, so I'll do a little research on those. I'm guessing they have been recorded by other artists, or maybe even by Jimmy himself. How perfect that this album will feature a Glen Campbell / Jimmy Webb collaboration again as singer and songwriter. And also great to have Vince Gill and Willie Nelson sing with him. All in all, very exciting for Glen's fans to have this to look forward to. ☺

Thanks again for your comments!

Dee

Post by Dee »

Hi, Bonnie!

Great question and good choice to post it under this topic.

Wow...I also cannot find any info on this song on the web. Hadn't thought to look when the album was announced!

The only reference very similar to the song title is on Kim Campbell's blog from last year when she wrote:
I find myself recalling the words of our good friend Roger Miller:

'Am I all alone? Or is it just me?'
From: http://www.careliving.org/kim-glen-34th ... niversary/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So you nailed it: the title is typical of Roger Miller's cleverness.

The Second Disc website describes this song in a recent announcement about ADIOS (the bold font is mine):
Roger Miller’s “Am I All Alone (Or Is It Only Me) features a home recording of Miller himself performing the song before seguing into Campbell’s version, on which Glen is joined by Vince Gill on harmony.
Could it be possible that this Roger Miller song has never been released?
Or was it released but under a different title?

Perhaps one of the discographers here on the board knows how to search copyright/publishing databases by song title?

Thanks, Bonnie!!!

Dee

Bonnie

Post by Bonnie »

Hi folks, I'm not sure if I'm posting in the right place, so bear with me. I wanted to ask about a song on Glen's upcoming album. (How great is that -- new music from Glen! I never imagined there would be one more!) Ok, it's the Roger Miller song, Am I All Alone (Or Is It Only Me). I've never heard this before, and didn't find anything about it online anywhere. I mean, I thought YouTube had everything! Does anyone know anything about it? Did Roger ever release it? From the description, it sounds like the version by Roger on Glen's album is just part of the song, or an introduction, maybe, and then it goes to Glen singing it with Vince Gill. The title sounds typical of Roger, a clever line. Glen was so fond of Roger and of quoting "silly Roger Miller lines," as Glen would say. Just wondering if someone can tell us anything about it. I don't think I can wait until June 9. ☺ Thanks!

Mike Joyce

Post by Mike Joyce »

Wow, that is a great trailer. I love Adios. I can't wait for this album.

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

Thanks Dee. And the video is also on youtube... in fact on youtube the video is about a minute longer, check it out! :)

[Edited April 26, 2017 by Dee: this video was removed from the GlenCampbellVEVO channel on YouTube presumably by its owner.
The shorter clip is still viewable here and on YouTube--see below.]