Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

Glen Campbell's Last Studio Album 'Adios' ~ Now Gold!

REMEMBERING GLEN CAMPBELL - GLEN CAMPBELL WITH CARS - GLEN CAMPBELL MUSEUM
Dee

Re: Glen Campbell's New DVD/CD Releases: Adiós June 9th

Post by Dee »

NEW! Glen Campbell releases album amid battle with Alzheimer's
With Ashley and Kim Campbell
Fox News
June 12, 2017

FOX NEWS VIDEO:

Dee

Post by Dee »

LOTS of new posts here, fans! The reviews and backstories to the making of ADIOS are pouring in!
Members, please post any professional reviews not posted below (on multiple pages of the Forums), and please. please feel free to share your own personal favorites from ADIOS.

From The Second Disc's Release Round-Up: Week of June 9
BY JOE MARCHESE

Joe recaps his previously published album announcement about ADIOS's release and also confirms Cowpoke's post below: "The U.K. edition adds a bonus disc of greatest hits."

So, now we know that Glen's huge fan base in the U.K. is receiving a very special thank you gift, a second disc, according to The Second Disc! Thank you for your update, Joe!

U.K. only release:
Glen Campbell_ADIOS_CD_UK-sm-gcf.jpg
Glen Campbell_ADIOS_CD_UK-sm-gcf.jpg (61.97 KiB) Viewed 5878 times

Dee

Post by Dee »

ALBUM REVIEWS // Glen Campbell // Adios
Elmore Magazine
by Ken Spooner
June 9th, 2017

Elmore Magazine Scores 100 for ADIOS.png
Elmore Magazine Scores 100 for ADIOS.png (80.78 KiB) Viewed 5865 times
Elmore Magazine scores Glen Campbell's new album as 100 out of a total possible score of 100!
This heartfelt project was recorded under probably the most extraordinary circumstances that any recording artist or producer has ever faced: dealing with the challenges of Alzheimer’s and still capturing the artist’s musical gifts. - Spooner
There’s no filler on this collection of both life’s trials and triumphs. It kicks off with Fred Neil’s “Everybody’s Talking,” that would certainly have the late Harry Nilsson talking, if only to say how smooth daughter Ashley Campbell’s banjo rolls on through it while her daddy’s vocals sail skyward.
Besides the title track that perfectly and gently lowers the curtain, there are three other Webb diamonds sparkling throughout. They all fit in as if they were written just for this. Funny thing about C&W (Campbell & Webb)…they are timeless.
This excerpt should be of interest to Glen Campbell Forums member "Bonnie" who had inquired about Roger's Miller's song.~Dee
“Am I All Alone (Or Is It Only Me)” is a never-recorded jewel introduced by a snippet of Roger’s original demo, so the listener gets to hear how a song goes from bare bones to a polished gem. We have Glen’s wife, Kim, to thank for this, because she kept Roger Miller’s demo tape for 30-some years.
Catherine Marx not only provides classic country piano fills, she also captures the gorgeous keyboard suspensions that Jimmy Webb crafts.
(Carl) Jackson, who started with Campbell in 1972 as a banjo player wizard, sets things on fire, reprising Jerry Reed’s dizzying guitar rolls and runs on “Don’t Think Twice, It’s All Right.”
Besides Ashley Campbell’s banjo, she sings with her brothers Shannon and Cal on “Postcard From Paris,” whose lyrics take on new meaning here: the background response, “I wish you were here” comes into full focus as the song fades. The Campbell kids and Glen’s fans do get some of their wish, for Glen Campbell was certainly here for this recording. He gives it his all, with not only his incredible vocals but his deep understanding of lyrics.
Just like always, there is still that Campbell Seventh Son magic in this, the kind he always brought to the world of music he created—for other artists, himself, and lucky listeners for 60 years. The only thing I can think of that might have added even more magic would have been a tune from John Hartford, who wrote Campbell’s theme song, “Gentle On My Mind.” Still, I give Adios a perfect score, based on my “reach for it” principle: When I hear something that really grabs me right away, I find myself reaching for my guitar, if not to play along, sometimes just to hold onto while I listen. This one had me reaching for it before Campbell got to “Skipping over the ocean like a stone”.
Thank you, Ken Spooner, for your tremendously well-researched review!
~Dee

Dee

Post by Dee »

Meet Carl Jackson, producer and contributor extraordinaire to Glen Campbell's new album, 'Adios':
The Producer's Chair
Hosted by James Rea

Carl Jackson-gcf-sm.jpg
Carl Jackson-gcf-sm.jpg (38.65 KiB) Viewed 5844 times
Outstanding interview with Carl Jackson about how he started working in the music industry, his collaboration with Glen Campbell, and more.
The Producer’s Chair: Has there ever been a moment in time when you have been discouraged in any way, about our industry?

Carl Jackson: Certainly, there have been brief times of discouragement, but I’ve had more than my share of blessings in this business and have no room to complain. I never get discouraged now… unless I turn on “country” radio!!! LOL
Read the transcript available here:

:arrow: http://theproducerschair.com/rowfax/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dee

Post by Dee »

Exclusive: Hear Glen Campbell and Willie Nelson's 'Funny How Time Slips Away'
Bob Doerschuk, special for USA TODAY
Published 4:23 p.m. ET June 8, 2017

Check out this track from ADIOS first released today exclusively by USA Today: Glen, Willie & Trigger (Willie's infamous Martin N-20 acoustic guitar named after Roy Rogers' horse):

Article and video: :arrow: https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/mus ... 102639556/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Video released on YT on June 9th:

Screen capture from Glen Campbell Official / Vevo:
2017-06-08_ADIOS_Credit to Glen Campbell Official.jpg
2017-06-08_ADIOS_Credit to Glen Campbell Official.jpg (88.09 KiB) Viewed 5842 times
Also released on June 8th:

See Glen Campbell's Daughter Ashley Preview Father's Final Album
"Every time he sat down with a guitar, these were his go-to songs," she says of Country Music Hall of Famer's 'Adiós'
Rolling Stone Country
June 8, 2017
According to his daughter Ashley, the (album) project stands as a heartfelt thank you and goodbye to his fans, via Campbell's interpretations of some of his favorite songs, from "Funny How Time Slips Away" to "Everybody's Talkin'."
You can read the article and watch the exclusive HD video here:
:arrow: http://www.rollingstone.com/country/new ... um-w486600" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dee

Post by Dee »

Hey, thanks so much for confirming the time periods for See You There and Adios, Cowpoke. Much appreciated.

I am listening (again) to Glen's "Everybody's Talkin'", the music video on YouTube and preview for the album's release this Friday. The writer from Paste magazine describes this song as the one misstep on the album because it "lacks the youthful optimism in Harry Nilsson’s definitive 1969 reading".

I can't agree with this one line of an otherwise outstanding review. Sure, Nilsson's 1969 version is youthful. Also definitive. Classic.

But optimistic? Perhaps in the tempo of the song. However, I can't hear the optimism, not when listening to the song's words. The lyrics begin with describing alienation and disconnecting from other people. Needing to escape. Escaping to a fantasy: "I'm going where the sun keeps shining." And yet, the escape is to a place where the sun keeps shining through the pouring rain. This place is not all sunshine.

How about this dark verse:

"People stopping, staring
I can't see their faces
Only the shadows of their eyes"

Haunting, right?

The repetition of verses is interesting to me. Is the song's protagonist trying to reassure or convince him/herself that good things are to come?

The last line in the song speaks of determination or perhaps desperation: "I won't let you leave my love behind."

The song is deceiving, isn't it? It sounds lighthearted. However, some of its lines are very dark.

For me, it is impossible to listen to this song and not think about how it plays into the devastating context of the film, "Midnight Cowboy", as its theme song. The film is about two outcasts who befriend each other because they can't survive alone in the dirty jungle of New York City's dark side. However, survival in the city is only short-lived. They escape from the city near the end of the film, only for _______ to happen. (No spoiler here.)

Check out this video with Nilsson's song playing against the backdrop of clips from the film:
Contains spoilers! :arrow: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zHVFXorF38" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Glen's reading is also upbeat for the most part, right?

It is delivered as a lighthearted song, I feel. But is it really optimistic? No, I don't think so; it can't be. Not for Nilsson, not for Glen.

Notice how Glen emphasizes the word "stone" giving it weight; significance. "Skipping over the ocean like a STONE."
Perhaps I am hearing his cover in the context of someone who has Alzheimer's. And how it must be for that person to feel that "Everybody's talking at me / I don't hear a word they're saying...." Maybe this is what the Paste reviewer meant by lacking youthful optimism? Regardless, the song seems to be a perfect choice for Glen's final album.

Below are the song lyrics from G@@gle. Glen stays relatively close to these lyrics except at the end when he Campbellizes the song with his own wonderful ending. It is a great song. Beautiful. Sad.

Lyrics
Everybody's talking at me
I don't hear a word they're saying
Only the echoes of my mind

People stopping, staring
I can't see their faces
Only the shadows of their eyes

I'm going where the sun keeps shining
Through the pouring rain
Going where the weather suits my clothes

Banking off of the northeast winds
Sailing on a summer breeze
And skipping over the ocean like a stone

I'm going where the sun keeps shining
Through the pouring rain
Going where the weather suits my clothes

Banking off of the northeast winds
Sailing on a summer breeze
And skipping over the ocean like a stone

Everybody's talking at me
Can't hear a word they're saying
Only the echoes of my mind

I won't let you leave my love behind
No, I won't let you leave
I won't let you leave my love behind

Written by Fred Neil • Copyright © BMG Rights Management US, LLC

Bonus Info! :)
DID YOU KNOW: John Barry, who supervised the music and composed the score for "Midnight Cowboy", won a Grammy for Best Instrumental Theme. Fred Neil's song "Everybody's Talkin'" won a Grammy Award for Best Male Pop Vocal Performance for Harry Nilsson. Schlesinger chose the song as its theme, and the song underscores the first act. Other songs considered for the theme included Nilsson's own "I Guess the Lord Must Be in New York City" and Randy Newman's "Cowboy". Bob Dylan wrote "Lay Lady Lay" to serve as the theme song, but did not finish it in time. The movie's main theme, "Midnight Cowboy", featured harmonica by Toots Thielemans, but on its album version it was played by Tommy Reilly. The soundtrack album was released by United Artists Records in 1969. [Source: Wikipedia @ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midnight_ ... Soundtrack" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

That's right Dee. The See You There tracks were recorded late 2010. Adios, from what I've read, was recorded after the Goodbye Tour. So between November 2012 and January 2013, when Glen recorded his last track ever, I'm Not Gonna Miss You.

I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...
Dee

Post by Dee »

Cowpoke and others...the Paste review raises a question for me. The writer states that the ADIOS tracks were "recorded ... in the same sessions that yielded "See You There". Weren't the SYT tracks (roughly) recorded in 2010, 2011? And the ADIOS sessions were recorded after the Goodbye Tour in late 2012, early 2013?

Dee

Post by Dee »

This review from Paste Magazine is a really excellent one; I wouldn't expect anything less from this publication.
The writer first puts Glen's last three albums including ADIOS into thoughtful perspective.

Glen Campbell: Adiós Review
Paste Magazine
By Craig Dorfman
June 5, 2017 | 12:16pm

Ghost On The Canvas was a tearful farewell embrace on the platform, See You There worked as the final wave from the departing train.
Adiós feels instead like a love letter left behind, a rush of goodbyes and appreciations and parting thoughts jotted down to make sure he (Glen) leaves nothing unsaid.
Campbell proves once again that he’s his generation’s finest interpreter of others’ songs....
The lone misstep is the opening cover of Fred Neil’s “Everybody’s Talkin’” which lacks the youthful optimism in Harry Nilsson’s definitive 1969 reading.
...nearly every song has at least one heartstring-tugging allusion to departure or mortality, and for the most part, those lines work. Campbell delivers them with the kind of class and grace that characterized much of his career.
Regarding the biographical song "Arkansas Farmboy" written by Carl Jackson (scroll down to listen to the full music video):
...it’s hard not to imagine the farm as Campbell himself. And when he sings of the “five dollar guitar/that led to a fortune/I’d trade just to go back in time,” it’s even harder not to wish that he could.
You can read the full review here:
:arrow: https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/ ... eview.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dee

Post by Dee »

The reviews of ADIOS are already coming in!

Album Review: Glen Campbell’ ‘Adiós’
Sounds Like Nashville
By Chuck Dauphin
June 5, 2017 - 9:17 AM

“Funny How Time Slips Away” gets a beautiful treatment, along with a cameo appearance from its’ writer, Willie Nelson.
He (Glen) tips the hat to his longtime friend Jerry Reed on a sterling cover of “A Thing Called Love,” and sounds as traditional as he ever has on his take of George Jones’ “She Thinks I Still Care.”
...the dramatic “Adios” is sure to get much of the attention, given its’ title – and Glen’s passionate performance.
...of the four Webb cuts, perhaps the most poignant is a sobering version of “Postcard From Paris,” which includes his three children with wife Kim. If you can make it through these heartfelt lyrics, and not be moved by their emotion and bittersweet-ness, you need to check your heart – to make sure you have one.
...the Roger Miller-written “Am I All Alone (Or Is It Only Me)”: a performance for the ages....
...the Jackson-penned “Arkansas Farmboy”: a nostalgic look back at his formative years. The song may be the most moving of the lot here, because in spite of all that has happened, that boy from Delight, Arkansas achieved all of his boyhood dreams, and then some. And, thankfully, nothing will ever be able to change that. This is simply one you’ve got to hear – and hear again!
You can read the full review here:
:arrow: http://www.soundslikenashville.com/news ... ell-adios/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;