Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

Glen: Song Whisperer

REMEMBERING GLEN CAMPBELL - GLEN CAMPBELL WITH CARS - GLEN CAMPBELL MUSEUM
admin
Site Admin

Re: Glen: Song Whisperer

Post by admin »

Posted on Friday, August 15, 2014 - 09:42 am:

As long as they included "you got to sing it nice and loud for sonny"

-Mike Joyce

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Friday, August 15, 2014 - 08:31 am:

Thank you all for the good discussion on the lyrics, specifically that one unclear word, "ease" or ??? I can hear the "e" sound...then ?

Ease would make sense, I think, because that stanza is written about the woman..."she could leave me with the greatest of ease..." She wouldn't be the one aching, the one left behind would be aching or hurting.

Would love to know if Glen changed this word.

What a great song!

And thanks to all the contributors, too, for names of Glen's other "quiet songs". These songs might make for a very different compilation album from Glen Campbell.

-Dee

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2014 - 06:41 am:

Hi Rick,

I have listened to "Guide me" the one Dee, kindly uploaded on Youtube. The line "She could leave me with the greatest of aches and there'd be no place dark enough to hide me" I think it does make sense, is as much as I think he is singing that the pain he would feel if she left him would be impossible to hide from anyone.
I have to say though I always thought the word was "ease" but listening to it carefully several times Glen seems to start singing "ease" and then finishes with the "ches" sound.
It may be Glen was trying to soften the word to make it flow in the song. When I have done my own songs sometimes a word has not felt right and then a couple of days later a far better word comes to mind which sounds and feels much better when singing the line in the song.And yet it has the same kind of meaning and same number of syllables.

-Mike Joyce

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Friday, August 08, 2014 - 11:55 pm:

Except that 'aches' makes no sense. I'm sticking with 'ease'. Listen to it again.

-Rick

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Friday, August 08, 2014 - 02:30 pm:

Rick,

Great question!!! I thought about that too but everywhere I go and listen to that song "Guide Me" I come up with the same lyrics-" With The Greatest of Aches."

With Glen being so versatile in everything he does, it's possible it was written ONE way, but he decided to either sang it/RECORD it another way. That's happened many times in his recordings. Just a thought!

-Arlw

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2014 - 07:19 pm:

And she could leave me
With the greatest
Of aches

Isn't that "...the greatest of ease", Arlw?

-Rick

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2014 - 12:53 pm:

On the album "Something bout you baby I like" Glen sings It goes like it goes. That is a very delicate song and Glen sings like he is a whispering.He also sings I was just thinking about you on the Highway album, in a very soft way. Glen is very versatile in this regard. He even sounds drunk singing Marie on the Rhinestone Cowboy album. If you go away is also very restrained I think.

-Mike Joyce

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2014 - 07:45 am:

Two songs Glen sings very quiet is 'on this road that I'm on' and the beggining of farside sessions is very quitly sung.

-stephen.taylor

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2014 - 08:44 pm:

Dee,

You are most welcome! I too am waiting for the Southern Nights on 180 gram! What's going on with that?

Hey you US people and also overseas fans, don't forget that Debby Campbells book is coming out soon... Can't wait for that to be released as I can put it right next to the UK one!

-Arlw

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2014 - 06:30 pm:

Arlw,
Thank you SO MUCH for the written lyrics to "Guide Me"!!!
Reading the lyrics along with listening to the song helps me to appreciate it even more. What a great song in every way, I believe!
Now, I am hoping even more for a 180g vinyl of "Southern Nights"!

-Dee