Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

Glen's Music Videos Through The Years

REMEMBERING GLEN CAMPBELL - GLEN CAMPBELL WITH CARS - GLEN CAMPBELL MUSEUM
Cowpoke

Re: Glen's Music Videos Through The Years

Post by Cowpoke »

>Appears that this was right before filming for True Grit?
I don't know for sure but that doesn't seem likely. I know that By the Time I Get to Phoenix was released in the fall of 1967. I think True Grit was filmed in the fall of 1968 (judging by the color of the leaves) and released in 1969.

I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...
jay

Post by jay »

They got a lot of mileage out the day at the railyard. Or maybe they went there for several shoots.

And the merry go around carousel! I am betting that is the one at Griffith Park...the same place Glen had the picture taken in front of the old steam engine (sideburns in that picture were same length as True grit)

Appears that this was right before filming for True Grit?

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

The videos on youtube have been taking down apparantly. Here you can watch Glen's music video for By the Time I Get to Phoenix in full color.

http://historicfilms.com/59ep

And boy, what a colorful shirt Glen is wearing! :D

Glen Campbell By the Time I Get to Phoenix , music video still, directed by Gene Weed, 1967
Glen Campbell By the Time I Get to Phoenix , music video still, directed by Gene Weed, 1967
bttigtp_music_video.jpg (67.37 KiB) Viewed 7626 times

Mike Joyce

Post by Mike Joyce »

I may be wrong, but one of the tracks on the Satisfied mind album is "more pretty girls than one". Perhaps that video was shot for that song but never used and then used later for Phoenix, as it had already been produced, even though it didn't bear any relation to the song. That would have been a cost saving ploy I would think. Certainly if it was edited better it would have been more appropriate for Where's the playground Susie. The trouble with trying to work out the story of this carousel video is we could just keep going round in circles. :D

Randy

Post by Randy »

Thanks Shelia, I wasn't sure.

shelia6673

Post by shelia6673 »

Hey Randy, don't think that's Billie she didn't have dimples and that girl had cute dimples. I too had another meaning of Phoenix in mind that
didn't have 2 girls just the one he left behind after telling her"time and time again he would really go"

Shelia T

Randy

Post by Randy »

I always thought the brunette was Billie (Glen's second wife). So is that wrong?

Dee

Post by Dee »

I hope you can find that info, Cowpoke. Great question, Shelia.

This video seems untrue to what I had thought was the meaning behind "By The Time I Get To Phoenix", so it (the video) has always bothered me.
What's with the two women?

Nowhere in the song does it mention that the wife/girlfriend is being left behind because of another woman, right?

Fun trivia: another fan recently mentioned to me that the carousel in the official "Phoenix" video is the same one that is partially pictured on the front of the album, "A Satisfied Mind".
Also, Glen appears to be wearing the same shirt in both the vid and the album's cover photo. Perhaps photos were taken at the time this video was made, and one of these photos ended up on the album cover!
Glen Campbell_A Satisfied Mind album cover.jpg
Glen Campbell_A Satisfied Mind album cover.jpg (15.95 KiB) Viewed 9087 times

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

Yes Shelia, Glen was really " the golden boy" in those videos, even though he was in his thirties. The girls in those videos, I have a vague recollection that these girls were from the office at Capitol records, but I will try to find out more about them!

Randy

Post by Randy »

I'm a big Johnny Rivers fan also and anyways here's his version of how "Phoenix" got to Glen

https://youtu.be/5zKD5lbbJ-o?t=185" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;