Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

Glen's Music Videos Through The Years

REMEMBERING GLEN CAMPBELL - GLEN CAMPBELL WITH CARS - GLEN CAMPBELL MUSEUM
admin
Site Admin

Re: Glen's Music Videos Through The Years

Post by admin »

Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2014 - 01:09 pm:

BTW, is that a guitar he has in the back?

-Cowpoke

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2014 - 08:17 pm:

"Why is Glen driving on the wrong side of the road?"

Give him a break. He's depressed at leaving his woman, so maybe it's Heaven he gets to, not Phoenix.

-Rick

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2014 - 10:25 am:

Why is Glen driving on the wrong side of the road.

-Mike Joyce

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2014 - 03:23 am:

Here are two more screenshots from that By the Time I Get to Phoenix video in color.
By the Time I Get to Phoenix
Phoenix A.jpg (62.24 KiB) Viewed 5540 times
Phoenix B.jpg (64.07 KiB) Viewed 5540 times
-Cowpoke

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2014 - 03:18 am:

That's an interesting point, Mikej. There are some still pictures of Glen driving in a car and standing on an airport and walking down a railroad track carrying his guitar suitcase, from around the period. I wonder if some of those pictures were taken during the filming of this "song film" as director Gene Weed also called these music videos.

-Cowpoke

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Monday, June 30, 2014 - 02:51 pm:

You are spot on Cowpoke. I just looked at the video and Glen is singing that line. Also Glen is obviously leaving her and taking his guitar with him. That is the picture on the Phoenix album cover. Glen in the same clothes and carrying the guitar case.

-Mike Joyce

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Friday, June 27, 2014 - 04:18 pm:

Here are some very, very small screenshots from Glen's "Where's the Playground Suzie" music video, in color! Bring your magnifying glass!
GC Thumbprint 1.jpg
GC Thumbprint 1.jpg (13.08 KiB) Viewed 5534 times
GC_Thumbprint 2.jpg
GC_Thumbprint 2.jpg (12.69 KiB) Viewed 5534 times
And here's a screenshot, slightly bigger, from the By the Time I Get to Phoenix music video, also in color.
GC_Video Pic.jpg (78.28 KiB) Viewed 5534 times
I would love to see the complete videos in color. If they were released on DVD, I would buy them in an instant.

-Cowpoke

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2014 - 05:16 am:

Now about that black and white video of Wichita Lineman...

Search for it on youtube, it's called:

Wichita Lineman: Original Video...Glen Campbell (1969)

...I always thought this video was a bit strange. Didn't seem to fit the song at all.

Just now I watched an episode of Prime Time Country from 1997. There they show a clip of the original music video of By the Time I Get to Phoenix, in color! Glen even identifies the director, Gene Weed, who also happens to be the executive producer of the Prime Time Country show.

The thing is, the Wichita Lineman video is just a rehash of the By the Time I Get to Phoenix video. I also finally figured out what Glen is singing, 20 second into that Wichita Lineman: "she'll laugh, when she reads the part". It fits perfectly!

I would love to see the complete By the Time I Get to Phoenix music video, in color, from 1967!

In fact, I think this means the other early ones like Honey Come Back and Playground were probably also originally filmed in color.

Here's some more background on Gene Weed, who was kind of a pioneer in making "mini-movies", later known as music videos.

http://www.cliffiestone.com/Cliffie/arc ... 03_55.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

-Cowpoke

admin
Site Admin

Glen's Music Videos Through The Years

Post by admin »

Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2014 - 04:58 am:

Part of an original post by Hyde, from November 2011...

I don't believe we've ever had a comprehensive thread and discussion on all the music videos Glen has done since the 1960's. There's actually quite a few. I'm going to list the ones I'm aware of and let others fill in the blanks, additions, comments, and respond and add critiques to any I've mentioned, etc.

(YT= available to watch on You Tube)

1. Wichita Lineman (?) Top Of The Pops (YT) 1967 or 68 - This is a strange video, it has Glen with two different girls during the course of the video (one looking out a window talking to him, and another who takes pics with him in a photo booth, etc.). Also Glen with his guitar in a Bus Station somehwere. What this was filmed for isn't clear to me, the Wichita Lineman music was just dubbed in over the video.

2) Galveston 1969 (Goodtime Hour) (on YT). IMO the best of the early vids Glen did. This one was filmed in and around Galveston, and Glen out on the front lines somewhere taking break from army duty. The video story matched up to the song lyrics beautifully and showed the power of what a music video can do.

3) Where's The Playground Susie -1969 (YT) Nowhere as good as Galveston. Glen sings the song but the video story is portrayed by two people in a car. The images of WTPGS? could have made a wonderful video with the sandbox scenes, merry go round, etc. But instead, the couple is out dancing and Glen is not portrayed as one of the main characters (as he was Galveston). Interestingly enough, I think Glen looks younger (hair shorter, etc) in the Playground Susie video than he does in Galveston. Leading me to believe that Playground Susie may have been filmed first. Bottom line: Beautiful song, wasted opportunity to make a beautiful music video