Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

Glen Campbell and Jimmy Webb

REMEMBERING GLEN CAMPBELL - GLEN CAMPBELL WITH CARS - GLEN CAMPBELL MUSEUM
admin
Site Admin

Re: Glen Campbell and Jimmy Webb

Post by admin »

Posted on Friday, November 18, 2011 - 11:38 am:

Dear Margaret & Stephen!

Thanks for reply!

MAYBE I think one of Jimmy Webb finest SONG EVER is "The Moon`s A Harsh Mistress".

This is one of his most recorded songs in the last many years!

And yes, Glens live version is just great!

Maybe the most MOVING moment, when we was at the concert at The Royal Festival Hall, London, 22th October and meet Glen after the concert!

Karen Carpenters also recorded this tune, but this IS NOT OUT so far on a record - maybe someday!
Think she maybe recorded one more J.W. song!

sincerely

erik "the Dane"

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Friday, November 18, 2011 - 11:26 am:

Erik-'The flower that shattered the stone' must be one of Denvers finest albums. A very rare situation for me,I preferred Denvers version to Glen's studio version. But I prefer Glen's version live in concert the best.

All told Denver was a fine performer and I love the Hallmark film of his life,even it it is a bit syrupy.

Not seeing Denver in concert is on my list of life's regrets.

-stephen.taylor

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Friday, November 18, 2011 - 07:32 am:

Erik - I have seen that video of John Denver singing Postcard from Paris, and he does a great job. He's one of my favorite artists. But I must admit to loving Glen's version (YT video from last year in the UK) with just TJ on keyboards. They changed it up for Ghost on the Canvas, and I would have preferred the simpler version, which Glen sang so beautifully last year. It's a beautiful song!

-Margaret

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Friday, November 18, 2011 - 03:34 am:

Sometimes we say in Denmark; Some can prefer the mother, others better the daughter.

I have just got in files the BONUS only tracks from G.C.s "Ghosts on the canvas" cd, who include J.W.s song "Wish You Was Here".

I know this better as "Postcard From Paris", recorded by late John Denver in a very beautiful version back in 1999 on his rare cd "The flower that shattered the stone".
J.W. is maybe playing piano on this number, but he is not mention on inlay in cd.
There is a VIDEO (dvd) out with this song with John Denver, where he short tell about the song and mention J.W.

What VERSION who is best, it not easy to say, as I wrote first!

sincerely

erik "the Dane"

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Wednesday, November 02, 2011 - 03:45 am:

Much funny!

Have a 4 cd promo box from Motown!

Titel is JOBETE (Music) - Million Performance Songs from 1991 - 87 tracks.

Here YOU FIND Glen Campbell singing "Galveston", because it is a Jobete copyright.

Also there is "Didn`t we" sung by Supremes, READ Diana Ross, live on same box.

sincerely

erik "the Dane"

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Friday, October 28, 2011 - 08:35 am:

http://www.telegram.com/article/2011102 ... 89750/1011" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

An evening of music and stories with Jimmy Webb

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Wednesday, October 05, 2011 - 02:39 pm:

Wichita Lineman song INFO continued!

LP: Billboard Top-100 Albums list, the debut of 16th November, highest position #no. 1.
Keeps this position for 5 weeks.
46 weeks on the list.

LP: Billboard Country Albums list, the highest position, #no. 1.

LP: Cash Box Country Album list debut on 23th November, highest position # no. 1.
42 weeks on the list.
11 weeks in first place.

Gold Records Certifications (RIAA), 18th November.
Achieves twice Multi Platinum status, 4,000,000 ex. sold.

45 vinyl: "Wichita Lineman" single, recorded on 27th May and 14th August.

Billboard Pop List, Hot-100, debut the 2th November.
Highest position #no. 3, 11th January 1969, the last day, 8th February 1969.

Billboard Easy Listening list, debut the 2th November.
Highest position #no. 1, 14th, 21th and 28th December and the 4th, 11th and 18th January 1969.
The last day of the 1th March 1969.

Billboard Country list also debut the 2th November, highest position #no. 1, 21th and 28th December, last day, 8th March 1969.
Gold Records Certifications (RIAA), 22th January 1969.

Reviewed in Billboard magazine as a single extract, 26th October.

#no. 7. location in the United Kingdom, debut on the list, 29th January 1969, a total of 13 weeks on the list.

Eminent singer, songwriter, David Gates, ex. Bread, said to Record Collector, United Kingdom, #no. 219, 1998:
"When I wrote the number "Make It With You", I had G.C.s version of "Wichita Lineman" in my mind".
Can just say, that in the city of Wichita in the state of Kansas, USA, 1th October 2006, gives the group the Rolling Stones concert at Cessna Stadium and play short clips from "Wichita Lineman", as their fifth number that night.

Can ad extra:
Lovely Carol Kaye, born 24th March 1935, is one of the world's best ever female musicians, pop, rock music through the ages.
Legendary guitarist and bassist, known among other things from his time at Phil Spector`s The Wrecking Crew. Carol started also to record with Sam Cooke in 1957, later also Beach Boys, Motown artists, plus more that we can believe.
She said to me back in 2005 in an e-mail, that J.W. played piano on the title track "Wichita Lineman", Al Casey, guitar, Jim Gordon, drums and Glen had lent Carol`s DANELECTRO baritone 6-string bass guitar to play the famous bass solo piece.
Carol Kaye contributed to this number on electric bass.
The super nice intro to the track is also something which Kaye has done.

sincerely

erik "the Dane"

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Wednesday, October 05, 2011 - 02:36 pm:

Tune "Wichita Lineman"

The story I know about the song, and this is translate from danish to english on a Google translater, so I hope for the best!
1968: The 4th November, published the new Glen Campbell album, titled "Wichita Lineman", only the title track on this album are written by J.W.
Glen had asked J.W. to write "Wichita" (a town song) as a sort of "follow up" to "Phoenix".
Glen count "Wichita Lineman" for his "all time" favorite song, which later in the United States was elected the "Most Played Song of the Millennium" in country music.
The composition "Wichita Lineman" became, from the experiences J.W. had had when he was a student in the penultimate year of study and drove along the flat areas by Kansas, Oklahoma state line and there saw a lonely telephone installer, Lineman, high up in a telephone pole, working with the wires, while he held a telephone in his hand.
J.W. philosophized so on who this guy was talked to, up there, and it was what gave him the idea for the song.
With respect to this composition, it was the first time that J.W. "purposely" sat down and wrote a "follow-up song" to "Phoenix", at a invitation from G.C.
Most of the work with the song, was over less than three or four hours after, but when they wanted to get started quickly in the studio to record, J.W. agree to send the not yet finished work of the song with a note, stating that the song was not yet completely ready-made, and that he would soon add the missing part.
A two, three days later had G.C. called back and said thank you for the song and that it would be a hit.
J.W. could scarcely believe his own ears, as G.C. had told him that the next song was already finished recording.
He said once the G.C., it was not quite finished polished, but it was according to G.C.
As J.W. later has said about the song, "Thanks for the good creator, it was recorded and that nobody can get it to disappear. It will be there forever, so long the playing records, they will play this song".
So when the text was missing in the song, G.C. has added a guitar solo piece.
When G.C. was starting to refine the song, he could not get "the right of the box", something was missing.
He remembered J.W.s demo of the song and the sound of J.W.s organ that could produce sound as bells, horns, flutes and whistles.
The organ was in a hurry brought in, and a giant evergreen, was born.
The legendary sound of the title track, partly because that J.W.s Gulbranson organ, a simplified church organ. The organ had at the time a very early digital sound.
And J.W. was especially delighted with the beautiful arrangement that was made by Al De Lory.
So every time that J.W. hear the song, he hears always the piece, which he did not write any text.
WILL CONTINUE!

-erik "the Dane"

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Wednesday, October 05, 2011 - 12:58 pm:

Tune "Galveston"

When Jimmy Webb wrote this tune, this was NEVER thought as UPTEMPO song, as Glen back then late 1960`ties record this.
I was a song about the Vietnam war, and J.W. was on the left side and Glen more on the right back then.
So I think J.W. was not so glad back then of this uptempo version!

When J.W. and Glen was together in London spring 1977, and recorded this live at Royal Festival Hall, "Galveston" was recorded in "right tempo".
J.W. conduct The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra.

Maybe first recording of this song, was made by late Don Ho (1930-2007), who was a Hawaiian and traditional pop musician, singer and entertainer.

I was down in Galveston 2010, when I was with my other musical family The Newbury´s and friends in Houston, Texas at The Mickey Newbury Gathering there.
M.N. (1940-2002), legendary late singer-, songwriter (who know me a little), and sign a very rare cd to me.
And yes, Glen also recorded M.N.s arr. of "An American Trilogy", plus one more M.N. tune.

USA "Military group" 4 TROOPS did a great version of "Galveston" in 2010.

sincerely

erik "the Dane"

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Monday, September 26, 2011 - 01:29 pm:

The song STORY of "By the time I get Phoenix"

As I remember this is was Paul Petersen from the Donna Reed Show, Jimmy Webb first wanted to record "Phoenix".

It was when Petersen was with Motown J.W. was hoping that Paul would record this.

Later Tony Martin also a Motown artist recorded a DEMO ONLY of this also on Motown, as I remember.
Later he recorded this on a live album.

First regular RECORD version is with Johnny Rivers on a 45 vinyl on Imperial IM-6460 put out 3th October 1966.
On album with Rivers name "Changes" out November 1966.

The story why and when Glen saw this, was on a wall in a recordings studio, where Rivers album where placed.
Glen likes the titel of the song and then recorded this master evergreen.

#no. 3. on the BIG BMI copyrights list, there 50 years list 1990 was "Phoenix", and yes #no. 1. was "Yesterday".

J.W. was contract writer there on Jobete Music (Motown) from around 1965 and a year ahead.
First copyright money J.W. got was from a song on group Supremes Christmas album late november 1965 and tune was "My Christmas Tree".
J.W. got around 350-400 US dollars for his writing of this.

sincerely

erik "the Dane"