Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

The Female Glen Campbell

REMEMBERING GLEN CAMPBELL - GLEN CAMPBELL WITH CARS - GLEN CAMPBELL MUSEUM
Cowpoke

Re: The female Glen Campbell

Post by Cowpoke »

Hi Shelia,
Barbara Mandrell is just perfect! Born into musical family, a child prodigy, a multi-instrumentalist, started out performing with her family, played on Mosrite guitars, had many country hits and even crossed over into the popcharts, had her own television show. I mean... she IS the female Glen Campbell!

We'll see if others can come up with a better one!

One other connection between Glen and Barbara is that Glen played guitar on Barbara's debut 1963 single "Queen for a Day" on Mosrite records!

I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...
Dee

Post by Dee »

Good one, Shelia, for all the reasons you listed!

I had been thinking about Dolly Parton. However, during the early part of her career she was part of a duo with Porter Wagoner. So, she wasn't a solo artist when her career took off. Not like Glen.
Dolly is also a tremendous songwriter...Glen didn't write most of his hits and sang mostly covers.

shelia6673

Post by shelia6673 »

Barbara Mandrell!!!

Remember she was country when country wasn't cool. She went to LA had her own tv show and like Glen brought alot of country to
LA. She made a movie of her life story, toured all over the world but now retired she lives in Tennesee.

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

That's a very good one Mike... Linda Rondstadt. She fits the bill perfectly. Came to prominence in the late 60s / early 70s, recorded many different types of music and yes... if Glen was Jimmy Webb 's male "voice" then Linda was Jimmy's female voice. Sadly, in both cases I have to use "was" instead of "is", because Linda too has sadly been silenced by a brain disease.

Thanks Mike for your reply. Curious to know what the other forum members can come up with... :)

Mike Joyce

Post by Mike Joyce »

I would start with Ashley. LOL
Good question Cowpoke. I think Linda Ronstadt. She sang such a variety of songs and she had a great voice and she loved Jimmy Webb songs.

Cowpoke

The Female Glen Campbell

Post by Cowpoke »

Okay, I know it's a goofy topic he he... but if you had to pick a female artist who resembles Glen the most in musical style, or versatility or type of singer or even looks or whatever ... who would it be? Who is the female Glen Campbell? :)