Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

New book: The Wichita Lineman

REMEMBERING GLEN CAMPBELL - GLEN CAMPBELL WITH CARS - GLEN CAMPBELL MUSEUM
Mike Joyce

Re: New book: The Wichita Lineman

Post by Mike Joyce »

Hi Cowpoke, I went back to the book and if you go to page 100 and read from there to page 111 that covers the story fairly well, regarding how Jimmy and Glen discussed how the two of them interacted at the time the song was in the process of being recorded and the organ was shipped to Capitol records.. There are a number of comments which have speech marks, but as you know they are not referenced in the index or any footnotes, so I am not sure where exactly Dylan Jones obtains these comments from. Interestingly jay has posted a link to a new youtube clip with Al Delory talking about how Glen was almost dropped by Capitol and also talks about Wichita. Al's version differs somewhat about how Jimmy introduced the morse code idea and doesn't even mention the organ. Going back to the story of how Glen found Phoenix, Al also talks about this and explains that Johnny Rivers played the song to him and recommended it to Al for Glen. It seems like everyone has their own version of events on that story. Most importantly, can you imagine if Glen had been dropped. Every song that would never have been recorded and Wichita Lineman would never have been written by Jimmy. It was interesting in the Al Delory clip that he says Glen told him that he loved the melody of Wichita Lineman but he didn't like the words. I find that incredible to think Glen thought that.

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

I am still on the line Mike! And... I’m doing fine 😄

I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...
Mike Joyce

Post by Mike Joyce »

I thought he had Cowpoke, but I will check that out, as I may be mis- remembering two stories as one. I'll come back to you on that. Stay on the line
Mike

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

Well great minds think alike... I too loved the interview with Jimmy at the end. And I am definitely someone who likes to zoom in a certain subject and then see the rest of the world from that perspective!

And yes the book occasionally rambles along a bit too long but that’s okay. I liked the quotes from other artists he collected about Glen, Jimmy and the song. Plus I never knew there was a connection between Swing Out Sister and Jimmy!

The only thing I am not sure of is if the book really solves that mystery you mention. I have wondered about that myself. Does Dylan solve it or does he merely propose a solution by combining the different parts of the story?

Anyway I really enjoyed the book. And now that we know that originally the first line of the song was “I’ve started working for the county” I guess the writer can add a new chapter to the next edition of his book! 😄

Mike Joyce

Post by Mike Joyce »

Hi Cowpoke I assume you have read the book now. It would be great to get your thoughts on it. I got a copy over christmas and read in January. I was surprised that a book could be written about one song, but as I started to read it I realised it also did a lot of back story on Glen, Jimmy the music scene at that time and of course Dylan's own relationship with the song and numerous other artists. On the whole I really enjoyed the book, but I am someone who likes to get deep into a subject that I enjoy and any new information is always welcome. There is a section where Jimmy is interviewed by Dylan Jones, and that is worth having the book for on it's own, but there is so much more to the book than that. It certainly cleared up a few questions for me. I.E I never understood the fact that Jimmy sent Glen the outline of the song and hadn't heard anything for a couple of weeks. Then Jimmy saw Glen, and said "I guess you didn't like the song" to which Glen said "sure we recorded it" to which Jimmy said "but it wasn't finished yet" and Glen responded "it is now". After hearing that story, I couldn't understand how the song then has Jimmy playing his organ on it, if it was finished. It turns out that the basis track was laid down but it was still in the production stage and it was during that point that Jimmy played Glen his organ part which he thought would work well on the outro. A decades old Mystery solved. The book can sometime be abit rambling especially when Dylan keeps describing the Midwest and the imagery of the song and the Lineman's thinking etc, but that is only a small aspect of the book I felt could have been edited down a bit. I did like the story that a listener was saddened that the lineman was dead left hanging on the line at the end of the song. Shows, you never know how the lyrics are perceived by some individuals.
Mike

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

Very nice new article about the song Wichita Lineman.

https://www.idahostatejournal.com/opini ... 625af.html

No reference to the new book.

jay

Post by jay »

I like the "lineman" on the stark road...but it seems like he is on Mars.
Cowpoke...let me know if it is worth the read.
A whole book is pretty incredible.

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

All the Versions of Wichita Lineman Mentioned on p. 151 of Dylan Jones's The Wichita Lineman (Except Those Not Available on Spotify)

https://www.londonreviewbookshop.co.uk/ ... n-spotify-

And a few essential versions, criminally not available on Spotify:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEiVvL8W0yk (Sammy Davis jr.)

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

Cowpoke

New book: The Wichita Lineman

Post by Cowpoke »

Writer Dylan Jones wrote a whole book about one song we all know... The Wichita Lineman - Searching in the sun for the world's greatest unfinished song.
Made popular by Glen Campbell, the song was recorded in an unfinished form, but, as Jones authoritatively explores its creation, reception and near-mythic aftermath, one understands why none other than Bob Dylan referred to it as the greatest song ever written.
I never knew Bob Dylan said that!

Read more here: https://www.theguardian.com/books/2019/ ... he-reviews

thewichitalineman.jpg
thewichitalineman.jpg (15.34 KiB) Viewed 8379 times
PS: a new blog about Wichita Lineman was also recently published here: https://durangoherald.com/articles/2896 ... l-vacation