Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

Hmmm...is it really an Ovation?

Everything from Glen Campbell's history with Ovation, other guitar talk, and guitar picks!
jay

Re: Hmmm...is it really an Ovation?

Post by jay »

LeonardMcCoy Not sure there was ever a contract. Glen played different acoustic guitars, although briefly, throughout his career. He genuinely seemed to prefer acoustic Ovations. I am not sure he ever really found an Ovation electric 6 or 12 that he really couldn't live without. From the 50's to the end, it appeared he preferred the Strat shape in his hands.

This picture speaks volumes in preferences.

Glen Stair Guitar.jpg
Glen Stair Guitar.jpg (1.19 MiB) Viewed 18326 times

My guess is just some haphazard irresponsible employee wanting to extend the picture and they had no clue about Glen's history and made it fit (poorly). And this came from the folks responsible for promoting Glen. :-(

BTW...that guitar was for sale a year or so ago.

LeonardMcCoy

Post by LeonardMcCoy »

This probably happened for a reason. Out of contractual obligations to the Ovation company perhaps?

2009 Gibson Les Paul Standard Ebony (Left-handed)
2002 Gibson "Goldtone" GA-15RV
1990 Ovation Legend L717 (A-bracing)

Finely transcribed Cat Stevens Guitar Tabs (fan project)
KMFrye54

Post by KMFrye54 »

I had to chuckle over the angle of the nut. Getting that guitar properly intonated would be a challenge!

Nice catch!

Mike Joyce

Post by Mike Joyce »

Well spotted jay, I bet someone had to pull some strings to get that done.

jay

Hmmm...is it really an Ovation?

Post by jay »

Back in 1968, Glen released the album "Hey LIttle One" and did a photo shoot for the album cover.

The guitar he used for that photo session was the Mosrite D100 Californian ((click the link to read more about this cool guitar))

This is the picture that ended up on the "Hey LIttle One" album cover.

Hey Little One photo shot
Hey Little One photo shot
GlenCampbell_Selections[1]-30.jpg (10.84 KiB) Viewed 21124 times

Glen's new "Official" website http://www.officialglencampbell.com/ is showcasing this photo in their banner (for now):

Banner for www.officialglencampbell.com
Banner for www.officialglencampbell.com
banner.jpg (203.86 KiB) Viewed 21124 times

Great picture...except....that guitar is a Mosrite, but someone has attached an Ovation headstock to the Mosrite neck.

head.jpg
head.jpg (35.19 KiB) Viewed 21124 times

Here is the original photo from the photo session (you can see that it was cropped with a little bit of the Mosrite truss rod cover showing):

GlenCampbell_Selections[1]-29.jpg
GlenCampbell_Selections[1]-29.jpg (12.89 KiB) Viewed 21124 times

All I can think of is that they wanted Glen to have a full guitar in that picture, and thought that model of guitar was an Ovation and photoshopped the Ovation head on it. You can fool some of the people....