Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

Glen's Guitars - Original Topic from 2011

Everything from Glen Campbell's history with Ovation, other guitar talk, and guitar picks!
admin
Site Admin

Re: Glen's Guitars - original topic from 2011

Post by admin »

Posted on Thursday, September 15, 2011 - 09:10 am:

Glen's solo is the last one but as to the others, I don't know.

-Paul

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Thursday, September 15, 2011 - 08:48 am:

Since this topic is the one where all the guitar experts are, can I ask you guys this:
who is playing which solo on There is No Me Without You? Is Glen on the last solo? Thanks!

-Cowpoke

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Wednesday, September 14, 2011 - 09:20 pm:

Brad, most of the difference between the 1537 and the 87C is cosmetic. The 1537 was the very first series of the Elite guitars. Production started in Bloomfield (where the Adamas guitars were built) and then moved, for a short while, to New Hartford (the main Ovation factory). The difference between the 1537's and the Elites was in the neck (black walnut vs. rosewood), the top (AAA vs. AA), the body binding (5 piece wood vs. ivroid)and the preamp (2 knobber stereo vs. OP24). The 1537 also has a layered headstock face and heel cap on the base of the neck. The Elite was basically a decontented 1537.

Glen's 1537 had different epaulets and fretboard inlays (his second one had the regular 1537 inlays but the same fancier epaulets).

The 87 Collectors is a cutaway version of the Elite with a lot of bling (fancy extras). It has abalone inlays on an ebony neck, with abalone up and downthe neck, abalone around the body, a fancy bridge, AAA spurce wood on the top that's been stained for an aged look, and other stuff that I can't remember. It's got the OP24 preamp.

Sound-wise, they are very similar. While they have a good bass response, they are very even from the bass thru the midrange to the treble.

I have one of each and love them both. People think that because Ovations have a fiberglass back, they all sound the same. They don't and even guitars built right next to each other sound different.

If you want to learn more about both guitars and all things Ovation, go to http://ovationtribute.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; . It's a website put together by a friend of mine in France and it's very good. There are pictures in there of a number of my guitars if you have the energy to look for them. It will take you days to go through all of it.

Also, go to http://www.ovationfanclub.com/default.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; . Sign up and read up on Ovations. Go thru the archives from the first days of the fan club (it started in 2002) and read up. Again, it will take days to get thru all of it, but it's a great read.

-Paul

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Tuesday, September 13, 2011 - 08:44 pm:

Brad;

I'd be hard pressed to think of any sunburst Ovations ever being played by Glen. I'm sure he has but it would be a rare occasion.

Wayne

-Bluebird

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Tuesday, September 13, 2011 - 09:25 am:

Brad, I don't remember ever seeing a picture of GC playing a sunburst Elite. In one of the promotional pieces that Ovation put out in the 80's I remember seeing a picture of Johnny Cash playing a sunburst Elite, but never Glen.

But stuff pops up all the time that surprises me. The Mod posted a picture a couple of weeks ago of Glen that was taken with his #27 Adamas slothead that I had never seen before. So never say never...

-Paul

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Monday, September 12, 2011 - 12:39 pm:

Paul,

I was wondering , did Mr. Campbell ever play onstage (regularly,or semi regularly) a non cutaway , 6 string Ovation acoustic in "sunburst" color ? Multi soundhole design, not center soundhole, (maybe one of his 1537's ?) I seem to recall seeing this , but I just can't recall where. (had to be on a DVD or YouTube but no luck finding it)

Thanks , I appreciate your knowledge on such matters.

-Brad

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Tuesday, August 30, 2011 - 01:32 pm:

Looks like a Regal Imperial. 1930's Chigago-built. Not junk, but not in the same league as Gibson or archtops of the era. Definitely not the guitar you are hearing.

-Paul

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Sunday, August 28, 2011 - 08:23 am:

A Better Place Tabs. Has anyone worked it out yet and what is that guitar he is using in the video?
Thanks!

-Jeff B.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Tuesday, August 09, 2011 - 04:27 am:

Sirs, if I had Still Within, I'd tab if for you.

I'll take any requests. I already have some old tabs for two separate versions of Galveston.

-Bucky

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Thursday, August 04, 2011 - 01:08 pm:

I've never seen Sound of My Voice in tab anywhere. It is in some Jimmy Webb music books (check Amazon?).

-Paul