Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

Guitar solo at the end of TAMI finale

Everything from Glen Campbell's history with Ovation, other guitar talk, and guitar picks!
KMFrye54

Re: Guitar solo at the end of TAMI finale

Post by KMFrye54 »

One thing you can see is that the trio of electric guitars onstage (and a bass) are NOT being played after the first minute or so, which does lead one to think that the sound is emanating from the bandstand.

Looked fairly closely at the shots where the band is visible and I can't say for sure I actually see Glen in any of them, but if he was there, it's a pretty safe bet it was him wailing away. It does sound a lot like his ad-lib style, for sure.

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

Tom, thanks for your post. I too have the impression it's Glen. It sounds like Glen's rock &roll playing. What a nice find. I have been watching that show looking for glimpses of Glen, but it hadn't occurred to me this was probably him. Thanks!

I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...
jay

Post by jay »

Tom Colt...first of all thanks for your interest in Glen and your post.

Sure sounds like him...all I can offer is this:

From 'Rolling With The Stones' by Bill Wyman & Richard Havers.
Months later the Stones were back in America for their second tour. 'Time is on My Side' had entered the charts a couple of weeks previously and would become the first of their singles to crack the Billboard Top 10. On Wednesday October 28 the Stones were driven from the Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel to the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium to appear on 'The Tami Show' (Teen Age Music International). Mick and Keith were a little ragged as the night before they had been to see Etta James at a club on Sunset.
Bill Wyman is quoted as saying...
We met Jack Nitzsche again, who was conducting the big band that backed the other acts. This band included: Leon Russell (piano), Sonny Bono (percussion), Nino Tempo (sax), & Glen Campbell (guitar). They had a really great sound. We watched some of the rehearsals & then Diana Ross & the Supremes came over & introduced themselves, they were very nice. The next day we continued rehearsing and watched the other acts. There was Chuck Berry, Gerry & The Pacemakers, Smokey Robinson & The Miracles, Billy J. Kramer & The Dakotas, Marvin Gaye with The Marvelettes, Lesley Gore, The Supremes, Jan & Dean, and the Barbarians amongst others. The Motown acts were backed by the big band, and they sounded great.

Tomcolt

Guitar solo at the end of TAMI finale

Post by Tomcolt »

Was it Glen playing the last several bars of the finale. I didn’t see any of the bands guitarist playing, so it must’ve been Glen or Tedesco? He was tearing it up https://youtu.be/OsT6BsU9NX8 starts about 1:15