Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

Gals on Guitars

Off-topic discussions (for registered members only)
Mike Joyce

Re: Gals on Guitars

Post by Mike Joyce »

That album sounds like a real gem Dee. This story of people buying items and then giving them back to Willie is so heart warming. Willie deserves better than this at his age. I hope he will get back on his feet. I remember this story in little house on the prairie. Charles Ingalls home and possessions were going to be auctioned off and the locals all purchased them and gave them all back to him. Its great this can happen in real life too.

Dee

Post by Dee »

Mike, this might have been a performance from around the time of this song's original release on "The IRS Tapes: Who'll Buy My Memories", a now out-of-print album recorded and released after Nelson's properties and possessions had been seized by the IRS to pay for back taxes owed to the U.S. government.
It's beautiful that Willie can sing this song of memories again, perhaps without the bitterness of bankruptcy.
Someone posted on Facebook recently that at the IRS auction items that Willie held dear were bought by some of his Farm Aid supporters who then gave these items back to Willie.

I am looking forward to Wiilie's latest album with this song to be released on December 2nd here in the States: "December Day (Willie's Stash, Vol. 1)".
For more info about this album, you may want to read: http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases ... 66282.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bobbie is very gifted on the piano, and, at a Willie Nelson concert I attended last year, Bobbie got her own time and spotlight on stage playing spectacular piano--while Willie remained on stage, watching her performance.

It's cool that Glen was also on the Kings of Country BBC special!

Mike, thanks for your advice about first starting with a nylon-string guitar. I hadn't thought about this....

Mike Joyce

Post by Mike Joyce »

Thatv was great Dee,
I am sure that was the song he sang last night on the BBC4 programme Kings of Country.
Glen appeared on there also singing Phoenix. They used the clip from his show on the BBC from 1972 I believe it was. The clip is on Youtube (He's wearing a red jump suit, sitting on the steps). A great performance.
Dee, if you buy a guitar, I was advised to start with a nylon string guitar as it is easier on the fingers and means you will be able to practice more without the sore fingertips.As you progress you can invest in a more expensive model as you start to get a feel for what you want from the instrument.

Dee

Post by Dee »

Speaking of guitar and piano, here's a beautiful duet, I think, by Willie Nelson and his sister, Bobbie...

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/video ... s-20141121" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dee

Post by Dee »

Thanks so much for your encouragement, siblis and Mike. I really appreciate it. "Today is Mine", right? :)
I have just moved this goal further up on my bucket list.
Dee

siblis

Post by siblis »

dee.....It's never to late, get the Guitar before Arthritis sets in & become the next Annie Wilson!!!

Mike Joyce

Post by Mike Joyce »

Get that guitar Dee. If you have a good ear for music you will soon be strumming or picking those favourite songs.
Like you Dee, I have played for a number of years with my guitar as opposed to your piano, but last year I decided to start practising the piano I have in the front room, which my daughter learned on. I am on book two at the moment (Book one was how to open the lid) LOL At the end of this book they have include Phoenix and the William tell overture. I can't wait to get to them in the near future. It's never too late to have a go.

Dee

Gals on Guitars

Post by Dee »

siblis,
I just couldn't let your post go by without commenting on it. You posted in the "I'll Be Me: the Movie" topic:
"...young Girls/ladies found Glen to be very Handsome & attractive, while young boys/males were captivated on the way he played & handled the Guitar which such ease, why....because as young males we all want to be a great guitarist like Jimmy page, Chet Atkins,..."

Can I just say that, of course, as a young girl I was enamored with GC. I also loved his voice, the way he could cry a song, make my heart break with "Didn't We" and then mend it with his next song ("Walk Right In"). He was funny, funny, funny, and always up for any skit on the Goodtime Hour. GC could sing and play with anyone and everyone, and he always looked like he was having so much fun!

However, I was also captivated by GC's guitar playing--so much so that I begged (<<BEGGED>>) my parents for guitar lessons. I wanted to play guitar just like Glen! He made it look so easy, I was certain I could play just like he did on the Goodtime Hour.

My parents nixed the idea of my taking guitar lessons and signed me up for piano lessons. Argh. Piano lessons! (<<TEARS>>) My dreams of being a great guitarist died on 88 keys.

The end of this sob story: I took piano lessons for three years...long enough to realize that I could play by ear and "pick" out GC songs on the piano after listening to them on the radio and later on records. I also played from GC sheet music and GC song books for piano. Still do. "Turn Around, Look at Me" is still one of my favorite GC songs to play.

Learning to play the guitar remains on my bucket list....I am just waiting for a GC Bluebird to fly into my hands. :)