Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

Does Vinyl Rock You Too?

Off-topic discussions (for registered members only)
Mike Joyce

Re: Does Vinyl Rock You Too?

Post by Mike Joyce »

I remember the thrill of buying via postal delivery the boxed set of 7 albums of "The Great Glen Campbell" The albums were the Ember albums released in the UK with the Christmas album and the Astounding 12 string guitar album as a bonus disc.
I remember playing them on a mono record player and then a year later I played Wichita Lineman on a stereo my brother had borrowed, and I was blown away by the sound that came out of the speakers. It was like hearing By the time I get to Phoenix again for the first time because of the goose bump factor. Wonderful days.

siblis

Post by siblis »

I remeber them....they stuffed in my sports Illustrated Magazines as well as TV Guides back in the 70's

Dee

Post by Dee »

Many good things do come back again -- such as a vinyl record subscription service!

I find this one unbelievable in this day and age of digital media--and kinda cool. I wish this new business success and lots of new vinyl fans!

New Record Service VNYL Distributes LPs Like Netflix
Members can pick "moods" to subscribe to and the company will send three albums at a time for a monthly fee

See: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... z3ONF52EJT" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

How many of you remember the records-by-mail clubs that were popular for many years? Ads for these mail order clubs were commonly stuffed in television program guides, newspapers and magazines in the U.S. (Did other countries have these clubs, too?) Below is a scan of part of an ad for the Capitol Record Club from the early '70s. You will understand why I saved this ad when you see who is pictured in it. :)

(Click on image once to open image window to full view.)
Ad_Capitol Records Club_from Dee's GC Scrapbook_photo c. by DZ.jpg
Ad_Capitol Records Club_from Dee's GC Scrapbook_photo c. by DZ.jpg (311.97 KiB) Viewed 4871 times

Dee

Re: Does Vinyl Rock You, Too?

Post by Dee »

That would make the playing time fly, Mike. LOL!

Mike Joyce

Post by Mike Joyce »

Yeah sometimes if I left it on 45RPM. LOL.

Dee

Post by Dee »

Great memories, Mike, especially of WL!
Did you feel that time flew by when listening to the A-side of a new album for the first time, then the B-side went even faster?

Mike Joyce

Post by Mike Joyce »

I loved reading these posts as we all seem to do the same things. Dee, I used to write thesong words down on A4 sheets and put them in a binder. This was even before I took up the guitar. I always remember feeling slightly tenses when I put a new album on the player and keeping my fingers crossed it didn't jump. Once I played it through and it was OK I could then play it and feel relaxed and enjoy the music. I think the greatest treat was listening to the album and then a track would start which blew me away. The goosebumps factor was brilliant. I remember that on many of Glen's albums. It was like that the first time I heard Wichita Lineman on a stereo for the first time. WOW

siblis

Post by siblis »

I don't understand the last question?

Dee

Post by Dee »

Dee....I took your advice & sniffed my 1970 Glen Campbell "Galveston" Vinyl......it smelled kind of like, well cleaning solution & cardboard. -- Siblis
Siblis, I am sorry you were disappointed with the "sniff test" on a 44-year-old album. I guess the vinyl didn't stand the test of time.

However...after you conducted this test, did you notice that your posting count increased here? Could the two be related?
I'm just askin'.
;)

siblis

Post by siblis »

Dee....I took your advice & sniffed my 1970 Glen Campbell "Galveston" Vinyl......it smelled kind of like, well cleaning solution & cardboard.