Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

What other music are you listening to?

Off-topic discussions (for registered members only)
Dee

Re: What other music are you listening to?

Post by Dee »

I love Celtic Woman, Mike! They have performed in my hometown many times since they formed their group.
Yes, don't they give a great performance of Jimmy Webb's "Moon"? I wonder what Jimmy thinks of it...
Albert Hall and the Royal Philharmonic orchestra! It doesn't get better than that, does it? Can you tell us more about "final fantasy video game soundtracks"?
Dee

Mike Joyce

Post by Mike Joyce »

I am listening to Celtic women who have been on the Sky Arts channel a few times recently. They do a cover of "the moon's a harsh mistress". I am also being exposed to final fantasy video game soundtracks by the children. I have just come back from the Albert Hall in London where Glen and Jimmy have played in the past. They even used the organ in the halll. Sothat was a first for me. I believe its the second largest in the world. I must say listening to a live orchestra is really something. This was the Royal Philharmonic orchestra which backed Glen of course on his live album. Great stuff.

Dee

Post by Dee »

I am listening to...
Annie Lennox -- Nostalgia (vocally, she is strong on this new album of classic songs that are imbued with her soulful voice)
Neil Diamond -- Melody Road (I haven't followed Diamond's career as much as I would have liked to. A friend gave me a heads up about this new album when previews were released. Now that I have the album, I can't stop listening it. This is the one that I've been playing in my car's CD player all week.)
For the weekend: Lady Antebellum's 747

Dee

Post by Dee »

I agree with your point, Siblis; nothing is sacred on the Internet.
Even our GPS devices track our road trips as another example.
It's a shame about the U2 thing because, from what I have read, I believe their intentions were good.
Thanks for this discussion here at the Hitching Post. :)

siblis

Post by siblis »

Dee....if you think you are not being tracked, you are mistaken. One way or the other eveything you do on-line can be traced, tracked or hacked for that matter. The CD was D/L by Apple to everyone that has an account after the Band sold it to Apple. I guess both parties thought it would be a great marketing tool when the new Iphone6 came out, until People had nothing to but [...] over it. All you had to do was hit delete. You know how much spam I get daily, which is invasion of privacy.

Dee

Post by Dee »

SIblis, honestly, I would freak out if iTunes or any other online music seller would single me out as a consumer who likes/has bought Glen Campbell music previously and then puts this LP into my personal music folder. I do consider this act an invasion of privacy because it means they are tracking and collecting marketing information about me. It's one thing to use algorithms or whatever to suggest a buy (such as amazon's "you may like") but to mess with my account / inbox....noooooooo. How did the U2 D/L work? Was it automatically downloaded to your computer's music library?
Thanks...Dee

siblis

Post by siblis »

Dee...I understand that it's an invasion of privacy, but if it was a brand new Glen Campbell LP, you would not feel that way...right??? I think the whole world is just too politically correct these Days & we rely toooooo much on ipads, ipods, iphones, Internet to talk with one another, that maybe they felt their only way to get their album up the charts & out there is to do what they did.

Dee

Post by Dee »

I understand what you are saying, Siblis, that one could just delete the album out of one's iTunes folder or inbox or however that works.
However, for me personally, I would have felt it was invasive, maybe an invasion of my "privacy" (as little privacy as there is on the Internet) to unexpectedly find the new U2 album in my personal iTunes account if I had one.
Still, it was a bold move on U2's part and it certainly brought both good and bad attention to their new album.

siblis

Post by siblis »

Dee....Honestly....It was a mistake in the way that U2 promoted the CD by giving it out for free to users of Itunes, becuase the backlash took away from the songs & the work of 5 yrs that the Band put into the Album, but what's worse is that the lead singer, Bono, apologized for what they did, & I don't think he should have done that, because that proves to the "complainers" that he was wrong. All anyone had to do was just delete the (11) songs that were in you I-tunes folder.

Dee

Post by Dee »

The controversial freebie! What do you think of U2's new album, Siblis and also their marketing strategy for this album? Thumbs up?