Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

Dylan, Cash, and the Nashville Cats: A New Music City

Off-topic discussions (for registered members only)
Dee

Re: Dylan, Cash, and the Nashville Cats: A New Music City

Post by Dee »

Dylan, Cash, and the Nashville Cats Exhibit to Feature Jon Langford Artwork

See: http://www.gratefulweb.com/articles/dyl ... rd-artwork" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Is it just me, or is this picture not the most flattering one of Johnny Cash? Also, his portrait looks larger than Dylan's. I do like the guitar. :)

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

That is awesome Mike. Never knew about that interview. We should post this under Quotes about Glen Campbell. You know what. I think every president from Nixon, Ford, Reagan, George Bush sr. to Bill Clinton has said very positive things about Glen. That's rather unique isn't it?

Hopefully I can fool that website into thinking I am from the USA. It now says that I cannot watch that interview from where I am... :(

I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...
Mike Joyce

Post by Mike Joyce »

That looks like the one Cowpoke. As I recall Elvis asked what Bill Clinton thought of artists from his part of the world. Arkansas. Bill mentioned a couple and said he thought Glen Campbell was a fine musician. He also said he had visited with him a couple of times and that he was such a great guitarist and singer.

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

I'm learning something new everyday! Bill Clinton praised Glen in an interview with Elvis Costello?

I think this is that interview, but I cannot watch it from where I am.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x12trl ... nton_music" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks Mike!

Mike Joyce

Post by Mike Joyce »

I think that is spot on Cowpoke. I remember Glen being interviewed on a programme called USA today, I think it was called in the 80s and he stated quite clearly he respected Reagan but didn't seem to rate Bill Clinton at all. Bill Clinton, though had a great respect for Glen's talent. which he mentioned in an interview with Elvis Costello. Bill Clinton is a big music fan especially jazz, as I'm sure you know, and feels that more should be done to incorporate it into schools as a great learning device.I think he may even have set up some programmes on this.

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

Hi Mike, yoú're right, Glen avoided political subjects on The Goodtime Hour. While researching Glen's political views, it became clear that Glen, until he appeared on the Republican National Convention in 1980 with Tanya Tucker, never presented himself as a Republican. In fact, he more than once described himself as "a registered Democrat who voted Republican a few times". He appeared for both Democratic and Repulican politicians, even supported candidates from both parties. In a later interview he said about himself that he was never a straight party man, he always voted for the person. However, from 1980 on he openly supported Republican (presidential) candidates, especially Ronald Reagan and George Bush sr. And yes... in a few interviews he was not really positive about his fellow Arkansan Bil Clinton. But on the other hand, they would talk amicably whenever they met each other on the golf course.

Mike Joyce

Post by Mike Joyce »

That is true Cowpoke.
Glen did say that in the article. I didn't mention it, but it was a strong stance on the subject which surprised me. Glen's always tried to keep politics off his show and he objected to the Smothers Brothers when they wanted to show a Anti War film behind Glen when he sang a song on the show.I remember reading that in his book. I can look it up if anyone wants the full details. Glen has always been a strong Republican and I know he didn't have much regard for Bill Clinton even though he is from Arkansas too. Jimmy Webb, said that he didn't want to appear on Glen's show because he didn't want to "appear on a show which included the likes of John Wayne", so I guess the show did appeal to the viewers who considered themselves as leaning to the Republican values.

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

Well Mike to be honest, Glen literally said "draft card burners should be hung"!
I think you are right, Glen speeded up Galveston because he thought the song would appeal more to the listeners. And he was right. I have spent quite some time researching Glen's view on politics for wikipedia. I don't think Glen was ever really pro-war during those days. But he definitely was supporting his country, its government and its troops.

Mike Joyce

Post by Mike Joyce »

Hi Dee,
Although Glen sang these songs because he felt they were good songs, many considered them to be in support of a political viewpoint. Jimmy himself felt that Galveston was made to feel like a uptempo "lets go get 'em song" rather than the slower anti war feel he had originally scored.
That I don't think it was ever Glen's intention to do that. He just felt that Don Hoe sang it too slow and wanted to give it a better commercial appeal.
The "Universal Soldier" song was also controversial for Glen. I recall seeing the article of Glen defending the song in the old forum recently. Glen's view was that people listening to the song would not be converted in their opinion by this record. Glen also went on to say that if you are called you should go and not dodge the draft. I believe it was the same article where some people were criticizing Glen for the length of his hair also.(How times have changed)
As regards Sold American I always considered that was very much like RHinestone Cowboy in its sentiments. A guy down on his luck but at least Rhinestone cowboy was a bit more positive.
Tom Paxton didn't mention any particular songs, but he did say that with many songs written in protest, "When the problem was resolved the song too was also forgotten very quickly" implying that they were never going to be classics.

Dee

Post by Dee »

I would agree with Glen here, Mike, about the two types of music, good and bad. I consider Universal Soldier, Sold American, and Galveston as simply great songs--classic and timeless--all "good" songs. In my mind, I don't label these songs as Glen's "political songs" or "protest songs". How do you and other readers see these songs?

Tom Paxton's quote surprises me...that he would consider some of his protest music "rubbish". Did he identify the songs he was referring to?

Dylan is in his own category in my mind. Wasn't he the first artist to merge the early sixties' two genres of music "folk" and "rock" into one genre, breaking ground for other artists such as Tom Paxton?