Please check out Jack Harris’s heartfelt tribute song to Glen Campbell, The Farewell Blue Guitar, with Brent Mason on lead guitar!

Glen Campbell's Mosrite Celebrity I

A look at the history behind many of the guitars Glen has used throughout his career.
jay

Re: Glen Campbell's Mosrite Celebrity I

Post by jay » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:18 am

The only pictures of Glen Campbell's Mosrite Celebrity were in black and white. I happened to see a picture of Glen playing a Mosrite in Billstown, with his uncle, Boo Campbell. A little closer inspection showed it to be the one he had at HemisFair and in the studio. So now we know what color it was. Here is a framegrab from breautube's video Glen Campbell Talks With Robin Leach & Matt Lauer

09-1986 Fame Fortune Romance Mosrite Celebrity.jpg
09-1986 Fame Fortune Romance Mosrite Celebrity.jpg (46.41 KiB) Viewed 466 times

Dee
Site Admin

Re: Glen Campbell's Mosrite Celebrity I

Post by Dee » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:49 am

Same guitar, the Mosrite Celebrity I?
Jay, I believe the photo you posted was of Glen rehearsing for San Antonio's Hemis Fair theater apparently on or around August 1, 1968. The photographer was Ralph Crane.
Hemis Fair (aka HemisFair '68) was the official 1968 World's Fair (or International Exposition) held in San Antonio, Texas, from April 6 through October 6, 1968.

Crane also took this photo (below) of Glen's performance at HemisFair in August 1968.

Source: http://images.google.com/hosted/life/f9 ... bb6de.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -- for non-professional use.

Various archival sites (e.g., a university in San Antonio, city newspapers) have photos from this landmark fair but are not accessible, at least not that I can find yet.
Potential source: http://www.lib.utexas.edu/taro/utsa/003 ... 00346.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Perhaps in one of these archives, a better photo of Glen with this guitar--facing the photographer--can be found.
Glen Campbell Hemis Fair.jpg
Glen Campbell Hemis Fair.jpg (89.27 KiB) Viewed 1546 times

jay

Glen Campbell's Mosrite Celebrity I

Post by jay » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:36 pm

The black and white 1968 photograph, of Glen with his guitars by his pool, is a testament of how much Glen appreciated the stable of guitars that he owned at that time. A good portion of these guitars were Mosrite's.

In this picture, the fourth guitar from the end (r) is a Mosrite Celebrity I.

In 1964 Semie Mosley (original creator and owner of Mosrite) decided Mosrite should offer a hollow body electric. He took a Framus body and created the Celebrity model. Soon after, he wanted a thicker bout version and created the Celebrity I (one). The Celebrity Glen had was probably produced around 1968. Glen's Californian was basically a Celebrity with a resonator.

Although there may be others...I have only come across one picture of Glen using his Celebrity.
celebrity.jpg
Glen Campbell with his Mosrite Celebrity 3
celebrity.jpg (49.29 KiB) Viewed 1574 times