Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

Miscellaneous Guitars Glen Has Played

A look at the history behind many of the guitars Glen has used throughout his career.
jay

Glen Campbell Plays Tom Anderson Hollow Drop Top Classic

Post by jay »

Tom Anderson Hollow Drop Top Classic.jpg
Tom Anderson Hollow Drop Top Classic.jpg (82.38 KiB) Viewed 82072 times

Tom Anderson Guitarworks is an American manufacturer of electric guitars and guitar pickups, based in Newbury Park, California. The company was started in 1984 by Tom Anderson, who is regarded as "one of the most respected names in the custom guitar market

Glen used this guitar during the soundcheck and possibly during the CMA Music Festival in 2004. He played Galveston, By The Time I Get to Phoenix and Rhinestone Cowboy.

I could not find any other guitar from Anderson equipped like this one. Maybe it was made for Glen.

glen-campbell-2004-c2004 CMA Music Festival on June 13, 2004 in Nashville, Tenn.ma-billboard-1240.jpg
glen-campbell-2004-c2004 CMA Music Festival on June 13, 2004 in Nashville, Tenn.ma-billboard-1240.jpg (233.38 KiB) Viewed 82072 times

jay

Glen Campbell Playing a Espana Classical Guitar

Post by jay »

Glen Campbell with Espana Classical Guitar.jpg
Glen Campbell with Espana Classical Guitar.jpg (53.88 KiB) Viewed 82710 times

Glen is seen here playing a Finnish made Espana Classical guitar. Just a guess that the picture was taken around 1969...maybe during the time Norwood was being filmed.

"These guitars were imported by my family's long-defunct business, Buegeleisen & Jacobson, which distributed in the US and Canada. The brands Kent, Stewart, Espana, Val-Dez, and Durro (wind) were among their best sellers. The quality of these instruments varied directly in proportion to what market they were targeting. Some, like Espana, had models that were very well made, and now would cost more than $1,000 at retail (some well over $2,000). Others were very promotional, and would compare with least expensive guitars from Japan."
Espana Classical Guitar0.jpg
Espana Classical Guitar0.jpg (37.08 KiB) Viewed 82710 times
Espana Classical Guitar1.jpg
Espana Classical Guitar1.jpg (386.33 KiB) Viewed 82710 times

jay

Country Boy Guitar by Rock 'n' Roll Relics

Post by jay »

Rock and Roll Relics debuted their custom made “Country Boy” guitar at the 2014 NAMM Conference These guitars were limited to 25 and were hand-signed by Glen himself!

Glen-Campbell-05-940x400.jpg
Glen-Campbell-05-940x400.jpg (199.77 KiB) Viewed 82232 times

jay

Re: Country Boy Guitar by Rock 'n' Roll Relics

Post by jay »

South Dakota was too early for that guitar. Glen was playing a Fender Stratocaster Plus Deluxe in Blue Pearl Burst (Dust). He still had it for the picture on the stairs.

stairs.jpg
stairs.jpg (94.03 KiB) Viewed 82182 times

LeonardMcCoy did a heck of a job sharing his knowledge about that model Fender here

KMFrye54

Re: Country Boy Guitar by Rock 'n' Roll Relics

Post by KMFrye54 »

Was he maybe playing it (The Country Boy relic, that is)in the S Dakota Symphony special? This looks a little too dark, and somewhat cleaner than the relic, but it does seem to have the right hardware...

Perhaps it is yet another "Strat"-like one....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... e=emb_logo

Thoughts?

jay

Glen Campbells Takamine P6JC-12 String

Post by jay »

Glen Campbell Takamine 12 String.jpg
Glen Campbell Takamine 12 String.jpg (58.71 KiB) Viewed 81354 times

Every now and then, you will catch a Takamine 12 string in a picture that is taken inside Glen's home. Takamine describes their P6JC-12:

Glen Playing his Takamine 12 String with Shannon
Glen Playing his Takamine 12 String with Shannon
Playing guitar with son.jpg (585.73 KiB) Viewed 73173 times
takamine-p6jc-12-bsb-pro-series-jumbo-cutaway-331441.jpg
takamine-p6jc-12-bsb-pro-series-jumbo-cutaway-331441.jpg (28.45 KiB) Viewed 81354 times
Takamine’s P6JC-12 jumbo cutaway 12-string model is loud and forceful, with a resonant solid spruce top with “X” top bracing for maximum volume, a solid flame maple back and flame maple sides, a convenient Venetian cutaway for easy access to the upper reaches of the fingerboard, and elegant ivory body binding with black and white purfling and mother-of-pearl rosette.

Glen Campbell Takamine Twelve String.jpg
Glen Campbell Takamine Twelve String.jpg (125.25 KiB) Viewed 81354 times

jay

Dillion Eddie Bush Signature Guitar

Post by jay »

Glen Campbell with a Dillion Eddie Bush Signature Guitar
Glen Campbell with a Dillion Eddie Bush Signature Guitar
Glen Campbell Black Stallion.jpg (26.12 KiB) Viewed 81197 times

It appears that Dillion began production of this guitar in 2008, for Eddie Bush. Production may have ended in 2018. It is also known as the "Black Stallion" guitar.

black stallion.jpg (128.22 KiB) Viewed 81197 times

Eddie shared this in an interview:

At the time, Glen Campbell had a TV show, Glen Campbell, of course, is an iconic I guess you would consider him a country music artist, but he was really a pop artist. As a matter of fact, in 1968, I think, he actually outsold The Beatles. He was super popular. He had a TV show called The Good Time Hour and it was my favorite show. I wanted to be Glen Campbell. He was my model because he was a singing guitar player. I wanted to do that...

I mentioned Glen Campbell being my first hero. So, a couple of years ago, one of my students went to the Country Music Hall of Fame in Nashville. I was on a break between students and I went on my Facebook page and here’s this picture of my guitar at the Country Music Hall of Fame. I didn’t really understand it. Next thing I know sure enough it was in Glen Campbell’s display and Glen Campbell had gotten an Eddie Bush model Dillion guitar that he loved and in fact, they sent me a picture of Glen with this guitar. Talk about full circle. Sure enough, the guy that inspired me to play guitar owns an Eddie Bush model acoustic guitar. It’s now on the front row in the Glen Campbell display at the Country Music Hall of Fame. Isn’t that crazy? I never met him or anything, but before he got Alzheimer’s he knew my name. That’s kind of cool.

Eddie released his version of "Wichita Lineman" as a "tribute to Glen."

In an interview with "Journal Scene", Eddie shares:
... in 2010 Campbell was asked to appear in a movie in which he was to sing and play guitar — and that Campbell contacted Vinci (Jon Vinci, owner/designer of Dillion Guitars) asking if he could play one of those guitars in the movie. Vinci sent him two, Bush said.
That would explain the one Glen has signed and Glen's Black Stallion that will be on display in his museum in Nashville when it opens in February. It was featured at the Country Music Hall Of Fame And Museum.

Country Music Hall of Fame.jpg
Country Music Hall of Fame.jpg (49.17 KiB) Viewed 81196 times

jay

Re: Glen Campbell's 1989 Custom Hamer Chaparral

Post by jay »

Interestingly, Hamer appears to have produced all of their Guitars for Glen around the same time. The head decals follow the same pattern:

Glen's Chaparral:

Glen Campbell's Hamer Chaparral.jpg
Glen Campbell's Hamer Chaparral.jpg (166.21 KiB) Viewed 81219 times

Glen's first Hamer 12 String:

Glen Campbell - Hamer 12 String Headstock.jpg
Glen Campbell - Hamer 12 String Headstock.jpg (1.92 MiB) Viewed 81219 times

Glen's Hamer 12 string

Will find a better picture
Will find a better picture
Hamer 12 Head.jpg (10.21 KiB) Viewed 81219 times

Additionally, the fret markers of the 6 string and the original 12 are very similar and it appears they used the Chaparrel body.

Glens First Hamers.jpg
Glens First Hamers.jpg (255.07 KiB) Viewed 81219 times

Bluebird

Re: Glen Campbell's 1989 Custom Hamer Chaparral

Post by Bluebird »

Nice one.

This would be around the same time frame that the blue Hamer GC 12-string was built also.

jay

Glen Campbell's 1989 Custom Hamer Chaparral

Post by jay »

Hamer Guitars (American made 1973-2013) became a sister company to Ovation in 1988, when the Kaman Music Corporation purchased the individually owned guitar company. Is it a coincidence that in the same year, Hamer designs and produces this custom Chaparral for Glen?

The Fender Stratocaster is an often copied guitar, due to its popularity. Hamer, not wanting to miss out on that popularity, designed the Chaparral to compete in the Stratocaster field in 1985. The Chaparrals had contoured offset double-cutaway mahogany bodies, very Strat-like, but with a slightly larger upper horn.

In 1988, soon after the KMC purchase, Hamer introduced the Chaparral Elite, which had an ebony board and boomerang inlays.

Jol Dantzig, a former Hamer founder, and current custom guitar maker, qualified the guitar by stating:

Hamer instrument SN 821628 was logged into Hamer finishing on January 13. 1989. Records indicate it is a Chaparral with a bolt-on neck finished in Blue Pearl and was slated to receive chrome hardware. Additional notes mention birdseye maple neck and 2 humbucking pickups( both were special order). Customer noted "G. Campbell" no other notations.

According to Ken Skaggs, who was with Glen from 1987 to 2010, Glen played this guitar at Harrah's, in Reno, a couple of times. He discarded it due to its appearance.

Ken Skaggs stated:
Glen played this guitar several times on stage at Harrah's in Reno, Nevada and though he loved the guitar's tone he did not like the visual distraction of the inlays overlapping the frets.

Glen Campbells Hamer Chaparral.jpg
Glen Campbells Hamer Chaparral.jpg (290.47 KiB) Viewed 80586 times
Glen Campbell's Hamer Chaparral.jpg
Glen Campbell's Hamer Chaparral.jpg (166.21 KiB) Viewed 80586 times