Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

What other music are you listening to?

Off-topic discussions (for registered members only)
Cowpoke

Re: What other music are you listening to?

Post by Cowpoke »

It was a great band. Bob, did you also do the Goodtime Hour Revisited tour with Glen, John Hartford, Nicolette Larsson and Jim Stafford?

I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...
Bob Willard Henke

Post by Bob Willard Henke »

I was just listening to this little gem. Looks like they're having a good time too....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NopThD7fxis

Dee

Post by Dee »

I am learning about music new to me from you all. Thank you so much!

SuperWebby, I'd like to hear more about your stripped down playlist with Glen, Waylon, and Jimmy Buffett--an interesting compilation!

Thanks!
Dee

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

Ah...gypsy music. Makes me think of the Gypsy Kings, who were for a while very popular over here. Here they do a song Glen also recorded.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mq8jwKqvl4g" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mike Joyce

Post by Mike Joyce »

Hey Cowpoke,
If you are enjoying Latin based sounds you will Love this. :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBUif_8YW0U" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

I never heard about these games, soundtracks or musicians before (i know, i'm getting old :) but after listening to some youtube videos i must say i am very impressed. Thanks for sharing Superwebby! Btw, did you also get a hold of the True Grit soundtrack on La La Land records, released last year?

And what are some of the songs on your playlist of Glen, Waylon and Jimmy Buffett?

I am have been listening to the complete oeuvre of The Champs on spotify lately. What I find unbelievable is that they stuck to basically the same formula of mexican / latin influenced instrumental rock & roll and where able to release quality records for 8 years! And, I love their gimmick of adding a few spoken words, pronounced in a mexican accent. To me, it's like the soundtrack of a 2 minute movie. So in one song the main character is looking for a "cantina". In another one, he is looking for his "sombrero". It would not surprise if me some of the soundtrack composers were inspired by music of The Champs.

SuperWebby

Post by SuperWebby »

First off I'd like to say that the music from Final Fantasy, Castlevania and Dragon Quest are all beautiful scores composed by accomplished musicians. Koichi Sugiyama is my favorite of the composers; "Overture" played by a full orchestra is fantastic.

Right now I'm running a stripped down playlist consisting of Glen, Waylon, and Jimmy Buffett.

Dee

Post by Dee »

Thanks, Mike, for explaining this "genre" of music for video games. Isn't it interesting that a lot of this music is classicly based?
The second largest organ in the world at Albert Hall must have been amazing to hear.
That's one organ that won't be carried into a recording studio for...Wichita Lineman! lol (Did we ever determine here on the forum if it was Glen and Jimmy who had carried Jimmy's organ from his house to the studio for WL?)
If Jimmy plays Albert Hall sometime down the road, I hope you can attend this concert. He has been on tour for a long time now; somehow he is finding time to write his memoir.

Hey, Siblis, thank you for recommending Melissa Etheridge's new CD to us. This must be the time of year for album releases.

Dee

siblis

Post by siblis »

I just took out Melissa Etheridge's new cd from my local Library & it is a great Rockin CD!

Mike Joyce

Post by Mike Joyce »

Hi, In response to your request Dee.
I went with the family to see the Final Fantasy show.My two youngest love these video games and the music that goes with it. I agreed to go as last year I went for the first time and was really impressed with the show. They have a very large screen set up and show clips of the games as the orchestra play various character themes. A lot of the music is classically based and not what you would expect for the type of use it is intended. It felt more like the music you would hear in epic movies. It was very varied as well so it has something for everyone. They played the big organ at the Albert hall which I believe is the second largest in the world. I bet Jimmy would have loved that. In fact it may have been used when he performed there. Glen has also played there in the past, so it felt a bit nostalgic for me.