Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

Glen's Music Videos Through The Years

REMEMBERING GLEN CAMPBELL - GLEN CAMPBELL WITH CARS - GLEN CAMPBELL MUSEUM
shelia6673

Re: Glen's Music Videos Through The Years

Post by shelia6673 »

Cowpoke thanks so much for the video's I loved them both. Glen was so young, but into his 30's, but with that
boyish face. Really enjoyed these. Is there any info on the girls in the Phoenix video. Both pretty.

Shelia T

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

Boy oh boy, I SO have not been on top of it lately. Two weeks ago, the complete "By the Time I Get to Phoenix" promo video has been posted on youtube, in color!

And christmas really has come early, because they also posted an official Glen Campbell music video I have never seen before: the color promo video for Try A Little Kindness!

The storyline of the Phoenix video turns out to be: he leaves his girl and... immediately hooks up with another! :)

I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Friday, July 04, 2014 - 06:31 pm:

I thought the same Cowpoke about Satisfied mind, because he is in the same clothes and on the carousel. Surely this must have been intended for Where's the playground Susie?
As regards the videos. On the BBC we had top of the pops and other music shows. The videos would be used on these kinds of programmes to promote the artist without him having to be in the country. It was good for Top of the pops, as Glen's looks would obviously attract the record buying girls to him, instead of having dancing girls perform on stage as the record was played. This was done a lot when the show was on, for the benefit of US artists.

-Mike Joyce

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Friday, July 04, 2014 - 11:32 am:

I always thought the dark haired lady is Billie Campbell. Am I wrong??

-Randy Moore

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Friday, July 04, 2014 - 05:37 am:

After watching that Wichita Lineman video again, I am even more confused. In parts of it, Glen is wearing the same brown jacket and white shirt that he wears in the Phoenix video (or at least the short segment I found of it). He walks down a railroad track or is at the airport or sings "She'll laugh when she reads the part". He is wearing the same outfit on the frontcover of the By the Time I Get to Phoenix album I think.

In other parts he wears a brightly colored shirt ( I think). In those parts he fools around with a dark-haired girl in a merry-go-round, chases her, and stands in front of a house with her while a picture is being taken. Then he hitches a ride with another girl (blond hair this time), takes pictures with her in a picture booth, leaving his dark-haired girl alone. I think the front cover of the A Satisfied Mind album is from the same movie shoot.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Satisfie ... 28album%29" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Now I wonder, did they perhaps use TWO older videos to put together that Wichita Lineman video and for which song was that other video originally? It apparently has to be a "cheating song"?

-Cowpoke

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Friday, July 04, 2014 - 05:02 am:

I think those music videos were played on teen music tv shows, in the USA but also overseas. Maybe the video was made, after the song had become a hit in the USA, to promote it in other countries?

Someone who commented on that Wichita Lineman video on youtube wrote:

These were called promos back then. The record company would produce them as cheaply as they could, and some still charged the cost back to the artists. They were given out to Networks in hopes they would get airplay on variety shows ( in case they had conflicting dates on tours). Stations would later get them to show as interstitials (something they would show between shows if they hadn't sold the times to advertisers. The record companies (In this case; Capitol) hoped the airings would translate to record sales.

-Cowpoke

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Thursday, July 03, 2014 - 10:25 am:

"PS. Hi Rick, My comment about Glen driving on the wrong side of the road was a tease, as I live in the UK and we drive on the left hand side.The correct way of course.LOL"

I know. I just decided to play along. Why would they make a video? Where would that have played in 1967, or perhaps it's later from the TV show.

-Rick

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Thursday, July 03, 2014 - 06:51 am:

That is a good point about place names. I remember an old episode of the likely lads on TV. They were discussing place names and mentioned how American place names sounded so much more romantic. Then one of them said Yeah, By the time I get to Bognor doesn't have the same ring to it. Of course Glen has sung about London several times. They still dance to Waltzes in England, (London) I'm coming to see you. and of course Streets of London. In fact Glen used to say he was going to record it and call it Streets of Boston or something along those lines.Sadly that didn't happen.
PS. Hi Rick, My comment about Glen driving on the wrong side of the road was a tease, as I live in the UK and we drive on the left hand side.The correct way of course.LOL

-Mike Joyce

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Thursday, July 03, 2014 - 04:18 am:

I also remember a similar story from Jimmy. Someone told him when you drive from LA (where Jimmy lived at the time, assuming that is the starting point) to Elk City, Oklahoma (where Jimmy was born, assuming that is the endpoint) using the old Route 66, you do not pass Phoenix (but Flagstaff, AZ instead).

By the time I get to Flagstaff, she'll be rising! Na, doesn't sound as good! :D

-Cowpoke

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2014 - 04:02 pm:

Certainly looks like a guitar. I was thinking about one of Jimmy's stories about this song. After a concert someone came up to Jimmy and said it would be impossible to travel the distance in the time required to make it possible to be at Albuquerque by lunch time travelling from Phoenix and from Albuquerque to Oklahoma by the evening. Jimmy was very irritated by this pickiness and said to him. Its only a song, it was never meant to be factually correct. So its not just MacArthur Park that gets analysed in every detail.

-Mike Joyce