Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

Glen Campbell Forums on YouTube

REMEMBERING GLEN CAMPBELL - GLEN CAMPBELL WITH CARS - GLEN CAMPBELL MUSEUM
Cowpoke

Re: Glen Campbell Forums on YouTube

Post by Cowpoke »

Yes, that is correct Dee! :)

I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...
Dee

Post by Dee »

Question about the Wikipedia listings for each episode, who sings what?
If there is no artist listed below the song, does this mean that Glen Campbell performed it solo?

For example, December 11, 1982:

"When It's Over"
Johnny Mathis
"You Will Not Lose"
Glen Campbell & Johnny Mathis
"(Sittin' on) The Dock of the Bay"
"Wonderful, Wonderful"
"Chances Are"
"Chariots of Fire" (instr.)

Should this listing be displayed as:

"When It's Over" - Johnny Mathis
"You Will Not Lose" - Glen Campbell & Johnny Mathis
"(Sittin' on) The Dock of the Bay" - GC
"Wonderful, Wonderful" - GC
"Chances Are" - GC
"Chariots of Fire" (instr.) - GC

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

Nah come to think of it, most of the episodes didn't have real themes. One other that comes to mind is the episode with Mel Tellis where the majority of the songs were Hank Williams' songs!

arlw

Post by arlw »

The PILOT of Glen's Music Show was 1981-this is the actual allotted time for that show.

The Glen Campbell Music Show was a syndicated US music television series presented by singer/guitarist Glen Campbell. In 1981 a pilot episode was broadcast. The regular series which followed ran for one season, from September 1982 until 1983.

arlw

Post by arlw »

Not sure the Glen Campbell Music Show had a Theme either! I think Glen did basically what he wanted in those 2 years. 1981 -1982. Here is the Beatle tribute-thanks Chumley! It was episode # 16

16 1-Jan-83

Lacy J. Dalton,
Gerald & Shorty Campbell "16th Avenue"

Lacy J. Dalton
Let It Be

Glen Campbell & Lacy J. Dalton
"I Want to Be Wanted"

Glen, Gerald & Shorty Campbell
"Blackbird"

Glen Campbell & Carl Jackson

"Eight Days a Week"
"With a Little Help from My Friends"
"Yesterday
"

For ALL other shows and guests and songs that were done-here is the link for that:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Glen_ ... Music_Show" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Chumley

Post by Chumley »

I can't recall if all the music shows had a theme, but positive one was a tribute to The Beatles. songs like Let It Be, I Get By With A Little Help and others were all done on the same show.

Chum

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

I forgot that, you actually saw Glen and Jud together! I don't think I ever saw that poster, thanks for sharing!! I am pretty sure Glen performed My Country during those shows. There is a newspaper / magazine article about it, somewhere.
About the themes in GC Music Show, that's just something I noticed. I don't believe Glen ever explicitly said "this or that is the theme of this show". And, not all the songs performed always fit the theme either so... but anyway, that's what I thought was the reason why they picked My Country for this particular show.

Dee

Post by Dee »

Thanks for explaining the My Country theme of the GC Music Show from which you shared these recent videos, Cowpoke.
I get it now. :)
So, did Glen sing any of his US city/state songs (Phoenix, Houston, Arkansas, etc.) on this episode?
Did each of the Glen Campbell Music Shows have a theme?

Dee

P.S. I attended a GC / Jud Strunk concert, maybe in 1973 or 1974. I need to hunt for the stage bill for the performance date.
Can't remember if "My Country" was performed.
I was too young at the time to understand how SUPER it would be years later to have written down the set list.
But not too young to "borrow" a poster from the venue after the concert ended (see below)! :)

P.S.S. I recently learned that the American flag on the Ovation guitar pictured on this poster (and also played by Glen at the concert--I do remember this detail) is a guitar pick holder, not a sticker or decoration.

[Click on image once to enlarge viewing window.]
Glen Campbell_Jud Strunk_Concert Poster-gcf.jpg
Glen Campbell_Jud Strunk_Concert Poster-gcf.jpg (58.96 KiB) Viewed 7092 times

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

That is what I thought too Dee. Talking songs are not really Glen's thing. You can see him hesitate a little a few times. I don't think Glen's song choice here has to do with religious or political motives. The "theme" of this episode of the Glen Campbell Music Show was songs about countries and places (This Land is Your Land, Hollywood, Canadian Sunset) so My Country fit right in. And, of course, the patriotism in this song was probably close to Glen's heart. Plus, he knew the song which he performed during concerts in the early/mid-seventies when he toured with Jud Strunk.

Dee

Post by Dee »

"My Country": this song choice of Glen's surprises me because he mentioned several times at least during his career that he didn't like "talking" songs after he recorded "Honey Come Back" (which is a great song, too, and one that Jimmy Webb performed during his The Glen Campbell Years concert I attended last year. Jimmy also briefly talked--and laughed--about Glen not wanting to do "talking" songs.)

Maybe the Christian-related lyrics really appealed to GC in 1982 or 1983, whenever this show aired? After his breakup with Tucker?

Or if this show aired closer to the end of 1983, perhaps the song's political theme appealed to Glen because the 1984 presidential election year was coming up?

In any case, imo, My Country is a beautiful patriotic song written by Jud Strunk who had political ambitions of his own.