Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

Fans' Collectibles (Your Memorabilia) - New Photos by MikeM12

Fan photos and memorabilia talk. What collectibles are you searching for?
robduloc

Re: Fans' Collectibles (Your Memorabilia) - Lots of Photos!

Post by robduloc »

When I saw the movie and read the book True Grit, I knew in my heart Charles Portis had something to say about what is true chivalry, an update of state affairs from the Knights of the Round Table.

It is an interesting time to explore, the vacuum created right after the Civil War, long swords cinched out and traded for repeating rifles. No doubt, the long swords became a symbol of the old ways, the blood that was shed and many sacrifices in the name of honor, it's a messy business, being told that you have seen better days and cinched out as well.

I wouldn't be surprised if Porter consciously used LaBoeuf as a variation or parody of the Frenchman and Knight Lancelot, a man stretched out miles from his home, an alien in a foreign world seeking to uphold his honor, and good standing, his usefulness used up, living life and foraging just for himself like one of the knights who had been sent on a quest to find the grail for his king, wandering amid a vast wasteland of broken dreams, survivors of the old West, swallowed up in a bottle for the most part to quell the pain and soothe old scars, the rare individual striving to stay on task hunting for the prize, I'm guessing the name LaBoeuf historically must be tied to cutlery one some level or another, one thing is for certain, there is an overriding feel if you get in his way Leboeuf will draw and quarter you.

Yep, Portis is saying we have to rethink what it is or means to be chivalrous and to know and learn True Grit. Strip the dirt from the road off our backs and make ourselves more vulnerable for one another, shedding a few layers of armor in the process, old soldier of fortune.

It is funny that I got my first two Glen Campbell LP's in the Fall of '67 at the same time Camelot hit the theaters, I believed that I purchased the stage version of the album that Spring and play it on repeat sitting and laying in bed with the lights turned off, and the door slightly ajar, I was only in third grade and scared of the dark

Which brings us to another item of memorabilia. The front cover of Glen Campbell Gentle On My Mind

Dee performed a tremendous service, and help joggle my memory, the Hartford/Campbell video premiered late Summer '67. That, I believe... Thank you...

It wasn't long before Campbell stole the heart of every man, woman and child on the block, Hartford can take pride Gentle On My Mind help the world look into ourselves, dream big, wake up and move ahead, much like the river in the song, always moving, soaking up the cool refreshing shadows, glimmering in the light.

One of my original post here explores that... as a child, no more than 8 years old, the arrangement spoke to me like no other, the acoustic guitar was the deeper underlying current of the river using the weight or body of the water to move things along, and the banjo was the light on top of the surface glimmering playing with the ripples.

Big news, to look at the world that way, everything fresh and new asking to be explored, as our town had been built in a relatively short period in the late 50's, everything was new and inviting, all the new buildings and clean drywall resonated when I'd sit and study the slick for the album cover Gentle On My Mind.

With all these deep feelings I was still only a kid, the overall impression the picture of Campbell leaning over his guitar, he must be a traveling doctor that made house calls, I honestly thought and felt that is what the cover was saying, maybe I was right!

True story.

smile~

Thank you, everyone.

Love,
Rob

robduloc

Post by robduloc »

Hi everyone,

My kitties don't sit in my lap, they like to nudge up to my side and fall asleep* They have a way of coming up to me and purr when I'm sitting upright in bed, and paw at the keys to let me know it's time to close my notebook, our most recent addition has even set a curfew, ten o' clock and it's lights out!

We will have to post a picture of the back cover for the paperback movi tie-in of True Grit, Kim Darby standing next to a river with Blackie and the sun in her eyes, obviously a spot they picked because the lights were right, just no filters because Darby appears to be squinting.

The original version had hit the grocery stand and made a deep lasting impression as dime store novels and bestsellers had a way of getting picked up and jostled to judge or asses their value, I was so proud to have the version released late in the year with pictures of the stars to promote the film, mementos like that have a way of slipping through the cracks as a child grows up and out or away, it was a big deal to go back and pick up a vintage copy, the things that I loved and adored as a child are becoming an antique, like me~

I was fired up to share my feelings about the subject, you did that for me, someone to talk to, share or bounce off ideas, it was a huge accomplishment as a 5th Grader to buy and read True Grit early 1970, and yes, it was Glen Campbell that inspired me to read, naturally.

This post is dedicated to arlw and Dee. Go, Mattie...

I was only in 5th Grade when I saw True Grit and read the book, Fall of '69/Spring 1970.

I would have had trouble explaining what I saw or felt but the main dynamic was there, your habits and acts define who you are and what you're about.

Mattie is rigid and stern, she doesn't like you to see her sweat, she rubs and washes the sweat off her brow until her cheeks turn red and sting.

Life is very messy for Mattie, she doesn't want it that way, the men in her life have a tendency to act or be chivalrous when there is no need and when there is a call have trouble rising to the occasion, all preconceived notions and judgement slips away when justice is served swiftly.

We spend our life seeking to be true to ourselves and find our one true calling, but it may require some help, before people learn they can rely and depend on you, and in turn, you can rely on them as well.

We've been given the innate faculties or gifts to lead, we have to find them, in a messy chaotic world seek to restore order and maintain the peace, and maybe then you will have a good yarn to weave and get some rest.

Thank you, Mattie for a lesson well learned, and Glen Campbell for inspiring me to read!

Love,
Rob

robduloc

Post by robduloc »

Thank you, Cowpoke and Dee,

I have an update for Cowpoke, sit back and relax!

I will find and a buy paperback movie-tie in for True Grit and Norwood, and send them to Dee to ship out to you as a gift, and so, hold onto your saddle*

They are relatively inexpensive and it will be fun to do something for someone besides myself.

Dee is talking here about an original vintage paperback pressing of Norwood from around 1967, the publishers paid a couple models to pose as the two main characters, the romantic element, sitting on the bus, it is funny you know, it would have involved an art director, their choice for the front cover make Norwood look very young and in hindsight, shorter, than the long lean Campbell look, oh boy

it is nice to hear Dee took the great plunge into the depths of its; pages and unfolding chapters,

The vintage picture on the front cover is a wonderful window into the late 60's, the great lengths a woman would spend on her, all the hairspray and teasing just to look clean and made up to sit on a bus for hours.

Yep, it's a big moment to hear it was an original copy, must have been when Dee was holed up during the historic snow storm.

Standing by the cafeteria door yesterday afternoon, Lucy yelled out to one of her mates halfway across the room, "I'LL BE IN THE LIBRARY"!

Yeah, and an apple doesn't fall yoo far from the tree either. Might have a mom or auntie that used to spend their recess in the library as well...

Authors visit schools all the time, someone most likely on of her teachers, maybe a relative equipped Miss Lucy with the tools exactly what a writer does, and the pause and hurt in her voice when she said no she doesn't like to write suggests it is a pipe dream. I know so many book sellers a publishing deal was their one great dream and decided they could no longer be a burden to their family and get, "a real job", a book store offering some relief to be around that sort of greatness, like a curator for a museum.

II finally was able top order a CD of It's Just A Matter Of Time, I can lay my download burned version to rest.

Keep on collecting and coming here to visit, my kitty wants to sit in my lap..........................

Dee

Post by Dee »

I don't remember "Norwood" in the library at my school, maybe one copy of "True Grit", can you believe that?
Perhaps a different grade level had these books well-stocked. I hadn't read "Norwood" until last year when Rob gifted me a beautiful copy!
In grade school, I remember having to read Mark Twains' river books and not understanding half or more of "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn".
These books totally bored me...having to read about boys' adventures on the river. haha
Enjoyed reading your posts, Rob!
BTW, Rob, you may have changed Lucy's life, you know...some day, she might be one of our great American writers!

Cowpoke, you won't believe this, but I do not have a collection on display of GC memorabilia. Most of my GC items are music related and stored in bookcases -- including the signed items.
Almost all photos and print stuff including posters are filed and not on display. I just don't have the wall space. I keep a few special items on my desk.
So, if you walked into my house, you wouldn't know immediately that I was a GC fan.
The only obvious item on display is a 6-ft. flat cardboard stand-up Academy Award "Oscar": the golden trophy is wearing a "Meet Glen Campbell" cotton t-shirt! :)
Because I don't have my own centralized display, I really appreciate seeing photos of other fans' displays.

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

Great story about that Norwood book Rob. I really ought to track down both True Grit and Norwood too. Over here in The Netherlands they won't be found but I am sure I can get a secondhand copy via internet.

I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...
Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

Thanks for sharing that picture of your Glen Campbell "shrine". Come to think of it... I don't have one! To be honest I am not much of an collector... of collectables that is. I collect the music, that's what it's all about for me. But I must say, I do love you to see pictures of the GC collections that you guys have. Hey Dee... what about a picture of your collection? You must have a lot of GC items too!

I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...
robduloc

Post by robduloc »

I have a cute little story that I would like to share before bed~

The paperback movie tie-in of Norwood for the centerpiece of my shrine.

I never knew that one existed until Cowpoke and Dee posted a picture of the front cover here.

I jumped at the opportunity to hunt down and locate one for my collection.

What I found is that after the movie was released, School Districts across the country picked up the book as part of their curriculum.

And that there were tons of them early '71 and on where the seller had to point that their copy had a number of passages highlighted in yellow, in addition to a multitude of customer reviews by women who loved Glen Campbell that said as a schoolgirl read and were graded for studying Norwood.

All of these reviews said that it has some of the most clever passages they found in a book.

Ironic, that Glen Campbell would be picked up as the leading subject at hand taking into account his vast experience and humorous spin on matters and world at large.

Some of the accounts must have gotten back to him, that the movie and paperback movie tie-in was causing a quite surge in public schools.

To be dropped by the network and sponsors go your own way, gravitate toward faith music only to find you are helping and inspiring children to improve their grade.

That must have been a big source of comfort.

I do know, since then there is a back room of shelves and books for kids to read and be graded on and True Grit takes up at least two of those shelves in every English department, I'm speaking first hand as lead floor crew and had to clean the carpets at every middle school in our town, pages frayed at the edges from use and children taking them home to read.

I got a clean crisp copy of Norwood as the picture accounts for, only I am thinking I'll lay down a couple dollars for one of the highlighted versions, a true testament of the times, Glen Campbell made a difference in our schools.

To articulate and express joyfully all the feelings and range of experience, that all the Campbell's have shared over the years.

So, here's the clincher.

I am now a head custodian at an Elementary School.

Lucy likes too read during lunch.

Stout, rosy cheeked, 4th Grader with blonde pigtails or braid.

I figured if she likes to read that I ought to encourage her to write more.

I go up to her table and ask if she likes to write.

She puts down her book, looks off into the distance to think, and I swear, this is what she said because I made sure to try and remember it.

"Well, no... but I do like to make outlines of stories and people in case I want to develop them:

A couple weeks later, I went back up to her table and said that is writing!

True story.

smile

Thank you Glen Campbell forums for helping to shape the minds of the next generation, they will throw you for a loop.

Quite Rightly So*

Thank you, and...

Goodnight, sweet dreams, looking forward to returning here tomorrow.

Rob
Can't wait to read some of Cowpoke's new posts... What?

robduloc

Post by robduloc »

In the picture of my shrine behind Glen's head for the Live In Concert in South Dakota CD is a paperback of John Hartford's Word Pictures, the top of the binding is barely visible, I will have to stage the book a little higher to showcase the author and title!

robduloc

Post by robduloc »

Thank you, Dee,

arlw put a fire under me, thanks to her, I plan to mount and display my Surfdog picture discs!

My son was able to take a photo of my shrine and send it here.

As always, a picture will catch or reveal something you normally don't see, in this case, it was quite a revelation to discover the little flashlight that I use to spotlight Ghost On The Canvas has a black body and red push switch that offset Glen's red tie and black suit.

They are the perfect compliment. It really is something.

And the other part that I noticed and like in the picture is when my son used the flash it bounced off the glossy paper for the I'll Be Me mailer and shimmers across the top of the wood shelving like a beam of light emanating from his head.

That is cool.

Thank you, arlw and Dee*

Love.

Rob Stoneman
Big Time Glen Campbell Fan

Dee

Post by Dee »

This photo is of Rob's special collection of Glen Campbell memorabilia!
Thank you for sharing, Rob. We are honored to post it!

[Click on image once to enlarge viewing window.]
Rob's Glen Campbell Collection-gcf.jpg
Rob's Glen Campbell Collection-gcf.jpg (363.16 KiB) Viewed 11228 times