Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

Your Stories and Memories about Glen

Rock, Roll & Remember! Post your Glen Campbell photos and stories here!
Dee

Re: Your Stories and Memories about Glen

Post by Dee »

Thanks, Rob, I am glad you enjoyed the Big Bad Rock guitar post below.

I believe the B-side of the Japan-only release of "Coming Home" is "It's a Sin When You Love Somebody" (ECR10737).

Congrats on this special single coming home to you!

Dee

robduloc

Post by robduloc »

Thank you, Dee,

I am very excited about your last post and pictures, it is a little ironic, the Frank Sinatra illustrated album cover can be found at just about every second hand store and The Big Bad Rock Guitar of Glen Campbell, is ultra-rare.

It's been a good year and a half buying and collecting Glen Campbell albums to round off my collection, I've been pretty lucky I only had to buy two MP3 downloads because the vinyl version had dropped off the planet,

But I managed to phase out one of the burned CD's and I have been listening a lot to the official compact disc reissue of It's A Matter Of Time, a very mystical album and so it's nice to hold and read the liner notes for the songwriter and musician credits.

Big Bad Rock is my other MP3 store purchase, obviously there was a window when I saw it on e-bay the other week for 45 dollars, I'm glad that someone managed to pick it up.

The update is I manage to purchase this morning the Japanese 45 Single for Coming Home, another item I let go too long when I ought to have snatched it up, this one was for only 10 dollars total, last time I think it was going for over 30.

Yes, I am so close to owning all the main albums when I manage to round off my collection with Big Bad Rock, I will make it my mission this summer. (positive visualization)*

There is a very cute orange vinyl from Taiwan on ebay of New Place In The Sun, for around 15 dollars, I will start collecting 45 Single picture sleeves sometime down the road.

I had been a huge fan of Glen's since early third grade but when I purchased New Place in The Sun the following summer it was all hero worship after that, it was the cover, you have to give the old Pickwick reissues credit, their Glen Campbell album covers and record slicks are very visual, they must've known down the road, they would stand as works of art!

Thank you, again, Dee.... Oh, can you please let me know what is on Side B of the Japanese 45 Single Coming.

Cheers~
Love,
Rob

Dee

Post by Dee »

THE BIG BAD ROCK GUITAR OF GLEN CAMPBELL

Rob, I hope you can find this album for a lot less than $80!
I don't know if it was released by Capitol in Stereo; the LP in my record collection is Mono T 2392.
It is certainly in Glen's Bestology of Albums, but did not sell well in 1965. The vinyl LP is a rare find now.
The album wasn't released on CD, right? It is available digitally, so check it out for instrumentals such as "Steve's Shuck", "Spanish Shades", "The Lone Arranger", "The James Bond Theme", "King of the Road", "Sassy", and more!

Perhaps some fans would rate "The Astounding 12-String Guitar of Glen Campbell" higher?

The album cover art is one of my top favorites of GC's records. The illustration was created by George Bartell who was a hot artist in Southern California beginning in the sixties. His signature can be seen on BBRG's artwork: "G Bartell". Bartell created other album covers for artists such as Frank Sinatra (see below), Nat King Cole, Buck Owens, Rod McKuen, Bing Cosby, Sammy Davis Jr., Jimi Hendrix and Curtis Knight, and Edith Piaf. It seems a measure of Capitol's commitment to or belief in Glen Campbell that Bartell was chosen to do BBRG (but this is just my opinion).

Sorry for babbling about the art but covers like Bartell's are one reason I love vinyl records. I scanned as much of the front sleeve of BBRG as I could on the home scanner and attached below. Not seen in this scan is the "File Under" description that appears in tiny font in the very upper right hand corner of the cover (a little assist for record store sellers): "Campbell * Guitar * Instrumental". Ha! One doesn't really have to say anything more about the greatness of this record other than those three words, right? However, the liner notes on the back of the record sleeve (see below) are sweet with a reference to Glen and the wrecking crew ("fellow performers 'in the trade'"). Yes, that's right...the name, "The Wrecking Crew", apparently originated much later than the sixties.

One more babble. Rob, I think you will appreciate it because of what you just posted about the disappearance of vinyl records. On the bottom of the back sleeve is a statement from Capitol Records: "This monophonic microgroove recording is playable on monophonic and stereo phonographs. It cannot become obsolete. It will continue to be a source of outstanding sound reproduction...." I highlighted that all-important statement -- to give you a little hope that you will find this LP 'cuz Capitol said so! It cannot become obsolete. It is Big. Bad. Rock. It features the Guitar of Glen Campbell.

[Click on each image below to enlarge viewing window.]

Frank Sinatra_September of my years_cover art by G Bartell-gcf.jpg
Frank Sinatra_September of my years_cover art by G Bartell-gcf.jpg (170.6 KiB) Viewed 12848 times
(Isn't it Interesting for Bartell to have chosen the cool colors of green and blue for Sinatra's illustration -- and hot orange, red, and pink for Glen's.) :)

robduloc

Post by robduloc »

I thought that you were talking about the 1969 and 1970 release dates for "Nitty Gritty" and "Big Guitars".

I can be a little more specific about The Big Bad Rock Guitar Of Glen Campbell.

I don't know if there are different versions in, mono or stereo, I am talking about something that I may have mentioned before.

The cultural vacuum of MP3 downloads.

Record enthususiats will attest, when an old out of print album is picked up by a giant corporate conglomerate like amazon.com for digital download, the old vinyl copies get pulled, so when you go under the music heading there are no longer any vintage copies available and a customer has no choice except to buy the MP3 version.

It is very frustrating, Glen Campbell Live At The Royal Hall went much the same route.

I will admit if you love an old out of print album it is nice to hear the digital remasters without having to get up and turn the album over to the other side.

It is monopolising to pull all the vintage collectables and the best example that I can site is how The Big Bad Rock Guitar album got picked up and reissued for the MP3 store.

You can't tell me, there aren't any vintage copies available. That's a bunch of phoney baloney.

That incredible period artwork album cover, drawing of Campbell with that perfect haircut, you can see The Everly Brothers influence and promoting rock as one of the main parts of the package, not just any kind, Big Bad Rock.

Oh, my... WANT!!!!

As a longtime record collector, do you know how cold and deft of a shopping experience it is to go on the amazon.com site visiting the music heading country to country, call up the title and it only shows up under the MP3 store, what kind of power, to pull a title off the shelves like that, really? I mean, oh, my word, amazon.com is working in alliance to have it pulled from other sites as well.... gulp.... so unfair.... a call and response from the digital age.... there are no other avenues beside downloads, no artwork, original liner notes, the right or authority to burn a blank CD at best, very, very cold way to do business...

And so yeah, near the end of May, after months and years searching, I found a nice copy on ebay for around 45 dollars, I was in the process of ordering it when it disappeared, no new alternate ones available.

I hope somebody here got to pick it up, who knows maybe the MP3 store pulled it, you never know.

If anybody has a copy for sale, I'd purchase The Big Bad Rock Guitar original vinyl LP for around 80 dollars plus S&H.... A hundred!

Let me know if you have one for sale. It's very bleak to search all the different sites and none are for sale or available.

There you are~

The Big Bad Rock Guitar Of Glen Campbell... available for digital download.... only.... in my lifetime.... yep, it's time to elevate the status of this collectible, a new reissue on vinyl, customers will eat it up and I don't mean sound bytes either, grams and hours of listening pleasure reinstated by Campbell's backers, that's one for the 21st Century... ACE... make it so....

robduloc

Post by robduloc »

Thank you, Dee, for caring.

I am not an expert on the subject that would involve a lot of extra time and money when I'm mainly trying to hunt down, nail and listen to the main tracks without all the reissues.

Although I have found that I am trying to collect all those as well, reissues where labels are trying to cash in publishing rights and the like.

Son Of Flintstone would know all the different versions.

I think there may have been some shady deals where Capitol was in cahoots with Pickwick to recycle old material.

And there are the World Pacific Label recordings that may have undergone transformations as well, different versions, album cover artwork, list of songs, many times without credit to the original songwriter on the slick or record top.

Far as I can tell, one of the biggest shadiest deals are the "Nitty Gritty" and "Big Guitars" albums from 1969 and 1970.

There is no way Campbell was cutting and recording those titles in the time frame given of the album releases.

No, somebody was cashing in on the artist's name and good standing having been elevated in the public's eye and heart, for that matter, we are lucky to have a record!

So yeah, the "Nitty Gritty" and "Big Guitars" albums have instrumentals I'm guessing that were produced and recorded a number of years before, say around the '64 to '66 range... I suppose it is my duty to track down the exact dates, and so, enjoy the drawing of the giant "Campbell" on the "Big Guitars" album cover, that is, for what it is worth, a tribute and monopoly on The Glen Campbell GoodTime Hour*

Highly uncertain, what was the artist percent or cut for these two albums.

smile~

Glen Campbell, one hot property. A feeding at the trough and, "GoodTime" to be had by all, especially anyone in the music biz with a three piece suit or small independent record label with some old recordings to hawk.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$%%%%%%%%%%%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dee

Post by Dee »

Ummm....back to Big Bad Rock Guitar, Rob. What do you mean by its "original form"?
Was this album released more than once? and you are not referring to mono vs. stereo, right?

robduloc

Post by robduloc »

I loved women who wore their hair short in the sixties, must've required a lot of self esteem, sexy, to, "no end"... especially after stepping out of a shower, I imagine... towel please!

robduloc

Post by robduloc »

The Big Bad Rock Guitar is just starting to resurface on the internet in its' original form, if you see one, don't hesitate to snatch it up!

Wink*

Thank you, Cowpoke.

Rob

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

Love that picture Rob. Faux sideburns, so cool. Thanks for sharing your stories here, they're great and they show the influence someone like Glen can have on our lives.

I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...
Dee

Post by Dee »

Rob,
"Roots". Pun intended.
I missed the pun at first read.
Glad you added the "wink". :)
Seriously though, thank you for sharing your hair-raising story.
Wink* right back atcha.

Look at those early sixties album covers with photographs and images of Glen such as:
BBRG.jpg
BBRG.jpg (14.68 KiB) Viewed 12359 times
No doubt his look changed after being in Hollywood / LA for a few years but how that exact change came about, I don't know.
Here's a thought: his then-wife, Billie Jean, was a beautician.
Perhaps Glen came home from work one day in '62? '63?, and his wife said to him...
"When are you gonna get a haircut?”

Wink*