Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

I'll Be Me - The Documentary

REMEMBERING GLEN CAMPBELL - GLEN CAMPBELL WITH CARS - GLEN CAMPBELL MUSEUM
Cowpoke

Re: I'll Be Me - The Documentary

Post by Cowpoke »

You're welcome. Here's the full size picture of Glen and the others playing in the studio (still available online). I have no doubt that it's Glen on the left.

Source: https://howardwilling.files.wordpress.c ... 3273_o.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...
Dee

Post by Dee »

Cowpoke, the discussion about the "leaked" session photo took place outside of the Forums here.
An admin discussion or something like that.
The photo in question is the first one you posted below. I had been searching for it in my personal archives.
But I hadn't previously seen or read Howard Willing's beautiful post that accompanied the photo.
Thanks for including it.
Dee

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

You found a discussion about that session in the forum archives? I couldn't! :) Can you give me the link?

I was able to find this:

Dec ’12 – March ’13 – The Wrecking Crew
Posted by howard willing - The BEAR's LAIR on April 5, 2013
If I I do no more in my career, I can end it happy. The musicians out there will understand – I just recorded 4 members of the Wrecking Crew – Hal Blaine, Joe Osborn, Glen Campbell, and Don Randi. The records that these guys have played on – Beach Boys, Carpenters, Elvis, Simon & Garfunkel, and hundreds more shaped our musical tome.
Recording Session I'm Not Gonna Miss You - The Wrecking Crew
Recording Session I'm Not Gonna Miss You - The Wrecking Crew
844018_10151381696212258_661093273_o.jpg (13.72 KiB) Viewed 9105 times
Recording Session I'm Not Gonna Miss You -  Don Randi, Joe Osborne, Glen Campbell, Hal Blaine
Recording Session I'm Not Gonna Miss You - Don Randi, Joe Osborne, Glen Campbell, Hal Blaine
340702_10151381695902258_1863977651_o.jpg (16.32 KiB) Viewed 9103 times

Dee

Post by Dee »

Cowpoke, thanks for the Howard Willing reference/source.
Yes, this is the 2013 photo I had been thinking about. I located it in the archives under Howard's name. Thank you.
Now I remember: three of us discussed the photograph but didn't post it because it had been posted by Howard on his blog (it wasn't a press photo).
Furthermore, the three of us were not 100% certain it was Glen playing guitar, right? Also, the guitar didn't appear to be one of Glen's.
The picture was taken in the same studio as the shots below.

Agreed: both beautiful and painful to read.
Brings back to my mind the scene with The Wrecking Crew in the studio at the end of "I'll Be Me".
What a perfect "circle of life" way to close Glen's documentary.

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

Yes I think I remember. Was that photo perhaps from Howard Willing's (engineer and coproducer) website?

That quote from Hal Blaine is painful and beautiful at the same time, Dee. Thanks!

Dee

Post by Dee »

A photo had been leaked in the press or social media in approximately January 2013 showing Glen playing solo guitar in a studio around the time "I'n Not Gonna Miss You" was being recorded. I cannot find that photo in my files right now. The photo had been taken from behind Glen as he was playing guitar, seated, if I remember correctly. Or am I dreaming this? :)

Hal Blaine confirms Glen Campbell played on the session for the film in which we see Glen and members of The Wrecking Crew. I assume this is the session at which The Wrecking Crew song version (or just the tracks) of I'm Not Gonna Miss You was recorded.
Glen Campbell at I'm Not Gonna Miss You Session 1.jpg
Glen Campbell at I'm Not Gonna Miss You Session 1.jpg (10.66 KiB) Viewed 9150 times
Glen Campbell at I'm Not Gonna Miss You Session 2.jpg
Glen Campbell at I'm Not Gonna Miss You Session 2.jpg (12.14 KiB) Viewed 9150 times
The quote below is from Deadline.com reporting on this session (http://deadline.com/2015/02/glen-campbe ... 201371258/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
The sequence in the film where Campbell is reunited in the recording studio with The Wrecking Crew, the group of legendary musicians with whom he played on so many classic recordings in the 1950s and ’60s, is particularly touching as they lay down the tracks for what would turn out to be Campbell’s last song ever. He won’t be attending the Oscars with his family, but hopefully he’ll somehow be aware of this major moment in his career. Hal Blaine — the legendary drummer and charter member of The Wrecking Crew who played on literally hundreds of Grammy winners including six consecutive Record Of The Year winners — was a part of that session for the film. “He (Glen Campbell) sang beautifully. He played beautifully,” he told me in a recent phone conversation. “I’m not sure he knew who we were. I wasn’t positive if he did, but Glen never stopped smiling like, ‘Yeah, I remember.’ But I don’t think he did. He was just playing with us. It was like old times. We wanted Glen to feel the love, that we are still with him and around him. Still the same guys. I hope and pray for the best.
I agree with you, Randy. Julian Raymond's word is gold. And, of course, so was the song when it won Best Country Song at the 2015 Grammys!

Randy

Post by Randy »

Well it says he did and that's good enough for me. Julian Raymond wanted Glen to have credit is my opinion and Glen deserved it for sure. What a nice man Julian is !

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

I must have seen this before but still, a wonderful document. Did Glen play guitar on I'm Not Gonna Miss You too?

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

That would be very interesting Jay. I think the fact Netflix added the documentary on the Dutch version could mean it's a popular choice? Also, the documentary has been on Dutch public television twice so maybe that triggered some interest for an otherwise little known artist (here in The Netherlands I mean).

jay

Post by jay »

Yes, It is still on Netflix here. I wish Netflix gave stats on how many rentals it has seen.