Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

Best of Glen Campbell on YouTube

REMEMBERING GLEN CAMPBELL - GLEN CAMPBELL WITH CARS - GLEN CAMPBELL MUSEUM
Dee

Re: Glen Campbell on YouTube and Other Video Sites

Post by Dee »

impossible to find this out-of-circulation CD.
So glad Take uploaded the album to YT.
The mp3 audio clips at a couple of sites sound no better than Take's channel.
In fact the clips sound "hollow" or flat to me, just my opinion.

Dee

Post by Dee »

Thank you, Cowpoke! I have never seen this CD. Will check it out; perhaps it was remastered.
Dee

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

Thanks for reminding us about this great album Dee. In 2012 this album was released on CD by Vintage Masters under the name "12 String Guitars! Folk Blues & Bluegrass".
12 String Guitars! Folk Blues & Bluegrass (Vintage Masters 2012)
12 String Guitars! Folk Blues & Bluegrass (Vintage Masters 2012)
170x170bb.jpg (16.51 KiB) Viewed 16675 times
. However, the physical CD seems to be out of print now. It is available on Spotify, iTunes etc.

I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...
Dee

Post by Dee »

Thank you, KMFrye54! :)
Dee

KMFrye54

Post by KMFrye54 »

Dee- the "older actor" on the jug is the reliable Denver Pyle...

Just thought you'd like to know.

Dee

Post by Dee »

Here's another early studio musicians' album, "12 String Guitar!" with The Folkswingers: Glen Campbell on 12-string guitar and The Dillards (whom you may remember from their six or so appearances as the Darlings on "The Andy Griffith Show"), Doug Dillard – banjo, Rodney Dillard – guitar, and Dean Webb – bass. You will notice their names are not listed on the front cover of the vinyl LP shown in the video.

(Not all Folkswingers' albums featured Glen. This group's name remained the same from album to album but was comprised of different musicians. Kinda like today's Celtic Woman group.)

Released 1963 on the World Pacific label, ST-9073
Recorded May 24, 25, and 27, 1963 in Los Angeles, California

Many thanks to "Take's Bluegrass Album Channel" on YouTube for uploading bluegrass music not available on CD or in MP3 format.

The track list is posted below the embedded video. Glen's exceptional guitar playing really stands out on this album. At the bottom of this posting box, I posted a link to one of many YT videos with The Dillards on the Griffith show. :) The Dillards are very much Glen's peers in the music industry; some of the surviving Dillards still perform today.

Side One
No. Title Writer(s) Length
1. "If I Had a Hammer" Lee Hays, Pete Seeger 2:43
2. "Black Mountain Rag" Traditional 2:23
3. "Walk Right In" Gus Cannon, Hosea Woods 1:54
4. "Wildwood Flower" A.P. Carter 2:12
5. "Blowin' in the Wind" Bob Dylan
6. "Midnight Special" Jim Scott 2:10

Side Two
No. Title Writer(s) Length
1. "Cottonfields" Traditional 2:26
2. "Columbus Stockade Blues" Jimmie Davis, Eva Sargent 2:21
3. "Rye Whiskey" Wils Carter 2:18
4. "Bull Durham" Glen Campbell 1:53
5. "Wabash Cannonball" John E. Graham 2:09
6. "Dark As a Dungeon" Merle Travis 2:57
7. "This Train" Traditional 2:25

(Track list, names of musicians and dates are from Wikipedia's page dedicated to this album. Thank you to the "unsung heroes"--writers--who compiled this information.)

BONUS: The Dillards (known as the Darlings on The Andy Griffith Show) performing with "Andy", "Barney", Bob Denver ("Gilligan") and ____?____. (I can't remember the name of the older actor playing the moonshine jug). Also, is the female singer an actor on the episodes with The Dillards or was she a member of The Dillards? Please help!

Dee

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

Band Perry did MacArthur Park, which is cool. But... they did the Donna Summer version!? Jimmy Webb and his wife at least are having a good laugh! :)

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

Thanks for sharing that memory Dee. Something to never forget. I wish I had gone to one of Glen's Goodbye concert in England... :(

BTW, Galveston by Lady Antebellum is a pretty good cover version. Loved the harmonies they added!

Dee

Post by Dee »

I agree with you, Randy.
Maybe I shared this info previously or not.
I happened to see Glen prior to a Goodbye concert in October 2012.
He looked so shockingly tired to me that I thought, oh no, he is not going to be able to perform tonight, and I hope he doesn't even try.
Then, a few hours later, he gave The Most Amazing Concert.
I saw for myself the good it did for Glen to be on stage, he was obviously energized by performing and also likely energized by the audience's love and support for him (multiple ovations, cheers, laughter when Glen told a few jokes).
I felt that I had seen a miracle that evening: the therapeutic power of music for Glen.
Did I mention this concert was held in Bethlehem? O Little Town of Bethlehem. No kidding.
Here is a review of this concert with beautiful photos that captured Glen in his element:
http://blogs.mcall.com/lehighvalleymusi ... nter-.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

An excerpt from this review:
"...he (Glen) returned for an encore, saying, “I missed this one,” and played his biggest hit, “Southern Nights.” It was a moment of glorious zeitgeist, Campbell’s skills and orientation returning in the moment, letting him play and sing with improvisation that belied not only his condition, but the very passage of time.

And then came “A Better Place” from his new album, and the fact that Campbell performed it so well made its lyrics even more chilling."

If y'll haven't watched the new uploads of the ACM Honors Show on YouTube, you may want to watch them asap before these vids are taken down.

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

Galveston by Lady Antebellum? MacArthur Park? I got tot see this!