Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

Glen Campbell's Last Studio Album 'Adios' ~ Now Gold!

REMEMBERING GLEN CAMPBELL - GLEN CAMPBELL WITH CARS - GLEN CAMPBELL MUSEUM
Cowpoke

Re: Glen Campbell's New DVD/CD Releases: Adiós June 9th

Post by Cowpoke »

Now you got me curious to know which video that was! :)

I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...
jay

Post by jay »

"Glen's appreciation for Jerry's work I think."

Funny you should say that. Jerry (due to creative boredom, I think) started using a flat pick and playing a lot of the tele before he went into "acting"...and I was watching a couple video's last night and there was one where I was thinking that Glen would be noodling all through that song...and when it came time for the solo, Jerry gave his best shot at doing what Glen did...and came up short...but I couldn't help but think Jerry was hearing Glen play that solo in his head when he was choosing how to fret it out. Those two were so different in their approach to playing the guitar, but complemented each other so well...and you could tell on the GCGH how much they enjoyed bringing their respective talents together.

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

Me too. He finally recorded that song (Don't Think Twice). Has to be one of his favorites. In fact, that song plus a real Jerry Reed composition on his last album.... says a lot about Glen's appreciation for Jerry's work I think.

jay

Post by jay »

Cowpoke, wonderful assessment. This appears to be another Ghost-like "final" album, with relational songs. It had to be a tough album to make...although I saw one of Glens last Goodbye tour concerts and he seemed as sharp or sharper than one I had seen a half a year earlier. I wonder when it was actually recorded...

I cannot wait to hear "don't think twice". Hopefully, it is just guitar, with the Reed bounce.

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

I actually am quite impressed by the quality of Everybody's Talkin'. Yes, it's how Glen sounded around that time but his singing and phrasing and the feeling he puts into the performance is still amazing. And of course, the lyrics are sadly fitting for his situation. I find it incredible that even at that stage Glen was able to do what he always done: releasing a cover of someone else's song and make it sound like a definitive version. I also appreciate Carl Jackson stepping in, he is a brilliant, Grammy winning producer and luckily he was able to make an album with his former employer (and friend) before it was too late. The track sounds great. I wonder who sings harmony here. Is it Carl himself?

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

@Jay, where do you see a pen in Glen's hand?

Mike Joyce

Post by Mike Joyce »

Thanks for the info Dee, I have listened to the Everybody's talking track. Glen's voice obviously isn't at its best, but a good performance non the less. I agree with you jay, the picture looks like it has been morphed in some way and Glen's hair doesn't seem quite right either. Dee, on the top of the guitar neck where the tuning pegs are, they have taken the Rickenbacker logo off the guitar. So obviously they are playing around with the images of Glen etc.
I can't wait to hear the whole album, but I wish Glen had recorded these Jimmy Webb songs much earlier in his career when his voice was stronger.
I must say it was kept under wraps very well, since Glen recorded the vocals a long time ago now.

Dee

Post by Dee »

The official press release for Adiós provides information about the songwriters/artists represented on Glen Campbell's new album:
The 12-track collection features songs that Campbell always loved but never got a chance to record, including several from Jimmy Webb, his longtime collaborator behind some of his biggest hits like "Wichita Lineman" "By The Time I Get To Phoenix," and "Galveston." In addition to the bittersweet title track, "Adiós," first popularized by Linda Ronstadt, Campbell also sings Webb's longing love song "Just Like Always" and country weeper "It Won't Bring Her Back." He revisits "Postcard From Paris" with his sons Cal and Shannon and daughter Ashley singing the line, "I wish you were here," resulting in a powerful and heartfelt message of a family singing together one last time.
Adiós sees Campbell putting his spin on several classic songs including "Don't Think Twice It's All Right," inspired by Jerry Reed's version of Bob Dylan's timeless tune and "Everybody's Talkin'", a banjo-filled take on the song that Campbell never recorded but famously performed on the "Sonny & Cher Show" in 1973 with a 19-year-old Carl Jackson. Campbell's daughter Ashley plays banjo on the song and joins her dad on several tracks on the album. Other songwriters featured include Roger Miller with "Am I All Alone (Or Is It Only Me)," which begins with a home recording of Miller singing the tune at a guitar pull before going into Campbell's rendition with Vince Gill on harmonies, Dickey Lee's honky tonk heartbreaker "She Thinks I Still Care" and Jerry Reed's Johnny Cash hit "A Thing Called Love." Willie Nelson joins his old pal for a poignant duet of Nelson's 1968 "Funny How Time Slips Away" while (Carl) Jackson tells Campbell's life story in "Arkansas Farmboy." "I wrote 'Arkansas Farmboy' sometime in the mid- to late-'70s on a plane bound for one of the many overseas destinations I played with Glen between 1972 and 1984," reveals Jackson. "The song was inspired by a story that Glen told me about his grandpa teaching him 'In The Pines' on a $5 Sears & Roebuck guitar when he was only a boy. That guitar led to worldwide fame and fortune, far beyond what even some in his family could comprehend."
Source: http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases ... 39853.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BTW, "Everybody's Talkin'" (mp3) is now available for download from online music sites.

If you had already ordered the digital album, vinyl album, and/or CD on amazondotcom last Friday, the 14th, you may want to double check your order. The site's listing on Friday, the 14th, has a misspelled album title and incomplete info. Amazondotcom now has a second listing with the corrected title and other updates. The vinyl album is expensive; perhaps the price will drop closer to the expected release date, June 9th. UPDATE 4/17/17: it appears that the mp3 album has been corrected but not the vinyl LP and CD. -Dee

Dee

Post by Dee »

Dunno, jay. What is a "TR"?

I hope you can find the backstory on this guitar.
We had posted an article a year or more ago in which Jimmy Webb mentioned he obtained the last GC (?) Ovation guitar produced prior to the closing of the Ovation factory and later Glen had signed it for him. Glen was still able to sign his signature at that time. Agreed: the upside down signing is a bit curious! Here's a wild guess: perhaps Glen had already signed the guitar, then later posed as if he were signing it for a photo. It's odd that the left side of this photo is blurred or faded out, you think?

By the way, to set the record straight, Glen Campbell covered "Everybody's Talkin'" on The Glen Campbell Goodtime Hour on his Hawaiian episode broadcast Wednesday, October 19, 1971. This '71 performance pre-dates Glen's cover of the song on "The Very First Glen Campbell Television Special", NBC, Sept. 16, 1973, with guests Sonny & Cher among others. (Note: Although titled "The Very First...", it was actually Glen's 2nd special for NBC. The first special was "The Campbells Are Coming", May 10, 1973.)

This is the Goodtime Hour performance on video that I had uploaded and posted last year: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5bKdM7eSls" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I actually prefer Glen's cover on Adiós. :)

jay

Post by jay »

I cannot figure out that picture...it is almost like a mixture of a young and old glen ... a morphing picture...and they took "Rickenbacker" off the TR cover. weird...really odd.
And what is with the signatures all over the guitar with the pen in Glen's hand? Can he sign his name upside down?