Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

Glen Campbell and Jimmy Webb

REMEMBERING GLEN CAMPBELL - GLEN CAMPBELL WITH CARS - GLEN CAMPBELL MUSEUM
Mike Joyce

Re: Glen Campbell and Jimmy Webb - currently 45 pages here

Post by Mike Joyce »

Good job Erik and Dee. Love the pictures. Great to see Jimmy being given recognition for his body of work.

Cowpoke

Re: Glen Campbell and Jimmy Webb - currently 45 pages here

Post by Cowpoke »

Wow, thanks so much Erik for all this information on the setlist and the pictures. Really appreciate it!
And thanks Dee for posting!

I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...
Dee

Re: Glen Campbell and Jimmy Webb

Post by Dee »

"Erik the Dane", member and friend of Glen Campbell Forums (as well as a dear friend of mine) flew in from Denmark to New York City to attend Jimmy Webb's The Cake and The Rain Concert at Carnegie Hall.
As some of you know, Jimmy Webb considers Erik, a long-time JW fan and JW concert planner in Denmark, as one of his dedicated documentarians.
Erik did a great "job" of documenting the Carnegie event and was super thoughtful to send us the set list, insider observations, and rockin' photos!

THE SET LIST

”Oklahoma Nights”, acapella, 1-2 vers (group Hanson) - Michael Douglas talk - ”Moon Is A Harsh Mistress” (Judy Collins), ”Up, Up And Away” (Marilyn McCoo / Billy Davis, Jr. - Fifth Dimension), “The Worst That Could Happen” (Marilyn McCoo / Billy Davis, Jr.), “Do What You Gotta Do” (B.J. Thomas), “Still Within The Sound Of My Voice” (Liz Callaway), “Highwayman” (group Hanson), “Shattered” (Shelèa), “Phoenix” (Johnny Rivers), “Galveston” (Jimmy Webb), “If These Walls Could Speak” (Graham Nash / J.W. sings together), “All I Know”, (Art Garfunkel / J.W. piano), “Wichita Lineman” (Dwight Yoakam) - Michael Douglas talk - “You Might As Well Smile” (Ashley Campbell) - Michael Douglas talk - “Didn`t We” (Catherine Zeta-Jones), “Only One Life” (Michael Feinstein), “MacArthur Park” (Toby Keith / J.W. play middle piece on piano), “Adios” (Amy Grant / J.W. sings for), LAST “Up, Up And Away” (All contributors sing with Jimmy).

At the rehearsal, Erik had a "short talk" with the wife of Michael Douglas, Catherine Zeta-Jones. He shared with me: "what A GREAT VOICE, she have!"
If you saw the video of Catherine singing "Didn't We" on YouTube, yes, she has an amazing voice. (She is a 2017 Tony Awards Nominee for Best Performance by a Leading Actress in a Musical for "A Little Night Music".)
(Photos and video filming during the concert were not permitted.)

At the after party, Erik spoke briefly with Johnny Rivers, Michael Feinstein, Dwight Yoakam and Toby Keith.
And had a `small talk`with Amy Grant, describing her as a very down to earth lady.
Highlights for Erik: “Didn`t We” (sung by Catherine Zeta-Jones) and “MacArthur Park” (performed by Toby Keith / J.W. play middle piece on piano).

Other special guests whom he met (some not for the first time) at the after party are pictured below in photos he is sharing with Glen Campbell Forums with permission to post.
Very kind of Erik. He knows I have not been well; otherwise, I would have been the girl popping out of the cake at the after party! Sorry you had to miss that spectacle, Jimmy Webb! lol

PHOTOS TAKEN BY ERIK - Click once on image to expand viewing window, if needed.

CARNEGIE HALL: INTERIOR, EXTERIOR, & EVENT PROGRAM:
PHOTO CREDIT ERIK THE DANE_1.jpg
PHOTO CREDIT ERIK THE DANE_1.jpg (105.06 KiB) Viewed 8162 times
PHOTO CREDIT ERIK THE DANE_2.jpg
PHOTO CREDIT ERIK THE DANE_2.jpg (120.1 KiB) Viewed 8162 times
PHOTO CREDIT ERIK THE DANE_4.jpg
PHOTO CREDIT ERIK THE DANE_4.jpg (105.04 KiB) Viewed 8162 times
PHOTO CREDIT ERIK THE DANE_5.jpg
PHOTO CREDIT ERIK THE DANE_5.jpg (108.87 KiB) Viewed 8162 times
PHOTO CREDIT ERIK THE DANE_6.jpg
PHOTO CREDIT ERIK THE DANE_6.jpg (156.98 KiB) Viewed 8162 times
THE CONCERT'S GRAND FINALE WHEN ALL THE PERFORMERS JOINED JIMMY WEBB ON STAGE TO SING "UP, UP AND AWAY":
PHOTO CREDIT ERIK THE DANE_3.jpg
PHOTO CREDIT ERIK THE DANE_3.jpg (276.39 KiB) Viewed 8162 times
THE AFTER PARTY!
PHOTO CREDIT ERIK THE DANE_7.jpg
PHOTO CREDIT ERIK THE DANE_7.jpg (89.03 KiB) Viewed 8162 times
PHOTO CREDIT ERIK THE DANE_8.jpg
PHOTO CREDIT ERIK THE DANE_8.jpg (92.56 KiB) Viewed 8162 times
KIM CAMPBELL AND STAN SCHNEIDER WITH ASHLEY CAMPBELL POPPING IN THE SHOT:
PHOTO CREDIT ERIK THE DANE_9.jpg
PHOTO CREDIT ERIK THE DANE_9.jpg (121.52 KiB) Viewed 8162 times
PHOTO CREDIT ERIK THE DANE 10.jpg
PHOTO CREDIT ERIK THE DANE 10.jpg (90.46 KiB) Viewed 8162 times
PHOTO CREDIT ERIK THE DANE_11.jpg
PHOTO CREDIT ERIK THE DANE_11.jpg (86.58 KiB) Viewed 8162 times
KIM CAMPBELL AND ERIK THE DANE:
PHOTO CREDIT ERIK THE DANE 12.jpg
PHOTO CREDIT ERIK THE DANE 12.jpg (73.75 KiB) Viewed 8162 times
PHOTO CREDIT ERIK THE DANE 13.jpg
PHOTO CREDIT ERIK THE DANE 13.jpg (86.76 KiB) Viewed 8162 times
Thank you again, Erik, for your wonderful recap and thoughtful shares!
~Dee

robduloc

Post by robduloc »

A note of faith~

The first two shows Jimmy Webb performed after his father passed, a venue Webb is known to appear when he is in Seattle, from a side alley after checking in, there is a long stair leading down to the main floor.

A picture promoting Webb's upcoming book, while waiting to be seated I remember a guest comment how beautiful he looks on the front cover.

The whole process of descending and the display the first thing that you see.

Now that the book has been released and circulating the universe, I think its' important to repeat what he said that first night.

If I am correct, I heard Webb say his father passed in his sleep, his 45 and bible next to his bed, a smile on his face.

The smile is important. The unconditional love.

To see Robert Webb's children grow up and have families of their own would be a great comfort and you know, perhaps, people waiting on the other side, and learn there is indeed more.

There is more.

robduloc

Post by robduloc »

Webb told the audience at the show I was at his people tried to contact kenye West about a sample, and were having trouble getting through, it was on the eve of the Grammy's.

I am uncertain of the outcome, although I was pleased to find the song in question made it in Webb's memoir the last entry page 307 Highlights & Awards!

robduloc

Post by robduloc »

The TV sound stage The Beatles appear on "A Hard's Night" are a dime a dozen up and down the English coastline, only The Beatles are going to alter the frequency they operate, like a jet plane through our living room.

And Jimmy Webb busts the door wide open for something even bigger, it isn't the recording, that stands the test of time, the words and music we harbor and carry inside each of us.

To have loved that much.

A central part of our psyche and well being. to take us well into the arc or span of a lifetime.

What sort of unwritten credit is that.

robduloc

Post by robduloc »

There is a big part Webb gets wrong in his memoir, the timeline for the movie "A Hard Day's Night".

Here is a sort of fix it time frame. Sit back and enjoy the ride.

1963 is the year two blockbuster songs hit the charts, "She Loves You" & "I Want To Hold Your Hand".

Around the end of '63 the songs finally make an impact on the American Market.

Early '64 The Beatles fly to America and perform on The Ed Sullivan Show.

Hot on the heels of that success The Beatles make their first movie Spring of '64 "A Hard Day's Night";

It is premiered the summer of '64.

If you study the dynamics of that film it is about how the band has conquered America and are back home in England, trying to remain anchored in a grueling work schedule.

Webb says in his memoir the TV stage in "A Hard Day's Night" is the Ed Sullivan Theater.

It is a huge oversight, the funny thing is that the film was trying to make a statement there are TV sound stages like the one in the film up and down the entire English coastline! A dime a dozen.

The film is on Webb's register because Rosemarie has a bit part. For a walk-on it's one of the key passages.

George Harrison is studying a dancer in costume, at the height of the band's success, you can see that he is figuring out the huge plumage is so the outfit will be picked up by the camera, he is a TV viewer like you and me, he's one of us, see, a joy to figure out together.

Later Harrison is seen wearing one of the dancer's hat, a perk of the biz, she is a fan like you and me!

So yeah, Rosemarie plays a huge part in that film. Another time and place would see me rewinding to that part just like Webb.

Dee

Post by Dee »

Jimmy and Me
By Spotlight Central
New Jersey Stage
April/May 2017
The Glen Campbell Years_Love Imagery-sm.jpg
The Glen Campbell Years_Love Imagery-sm.jpg (22.14 KiB) Viewed 7966 times
Well done interview with Jimmy Webb with photos from his multi-media tribute show to Glen Campbell.

Visit: http://www.newjerseystage.com/articles/ ... 8.facebook" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

~Dee

Dee

Post by Dee »

Up, up and away -- to the Jimmy Webb Carnegie Hall tribute
By James Beaty, Managing Editor
McAlester News-Capitol
McAlester, OK
May 9, 2017
Jimmy Webb_by JW for MNC-sm.jpg
Jimmy Webb_by JW for MNC-sm.jpg (34 KiB) Viewed 7966 times
Last Wednesday night, Webb received another honor when a number of his colleagues gathered in New York City at Carnegie Hall to pay tribute to him and his music. Also called “The Cake and the Rain” (same title as memoir), the event was billed as a celebration of the music of Jimmy Webb. It also served as a benefit for Alzheimer’s research in honor of (Glen) Campbell, who was not only a frequent collaborator of Webb’s, but a friend as well.

Much like the recent Merle Haggard tribute in Nashville, the tribute to Webb’s music drew a disparate group of performers. - James Beaty
Read more about the event here: :arrow: http://www.mcalesternews.com/news/local ... 9534d.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

~Dee

Mike Joyce

Post by Mike Joyce »

Jimmy was on BBC4 again singing "Didn't we" on the Singer/Songwriter series. They mentioned his work with Glen and Richard Harris. The clip was from the early seventies.