Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums

Remembering Glen Campbell (currently 12 pages, 100+ posts)

ESSENTIAL HISTORY THAT MAY SURPRISE YOU * NEW MUSIC RELEASES * BEST VIDEOS * LOST ALBUM?
bluebravo

The Farewell Blue Guitar

Post by bluebravo » Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:27 am

Attached is the song my brother Maury and I wrote and recorded in my home studio as a tribute to one of our heroes (we’re in our 60s so we have been fortunate to experience Glen since “day one”.)

Longtime Nashville guru, Brent Mason, is on lead guitar. I had hired him before on some originals and when Maury and I did this tune, and we wanted a Glen Campbell guitar in the song, it was a no-brainer that Brent was the guy. Turns out (no surprise) that Brent is a big fan of GC and promised to do his best to answer my challenge of “channeling your best inner GC/Wrecking Crew and go for it.” Well, he did and it is truly the secret sauce that made this special.

I hope you enjoy it.
Attachments
The Farewell Blue Guitar.mp3
Posted by permission
(9.44 MiB) Downloaded 58 times

Cowpoke

Re: Remembering Glen Campbell (currently 12 pages, 100+ posts)

Post by Cowpoke » Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:02 am

Hi Jack, thanks for joining the forum. How wonderful that you made a tribute song. Can't wait to hear it! If you want, you can send the MP3 to admin@glencampbellforums.com and we'll see that it gets posted on the forums. Thank you!

Cowpoke (co-admin of Glen Campbell Forums)

I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...

bluebravo

Post by bluebravo » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:05 pm

Hi - I just now joined the forum. I have an original song I recorded as my tribute to Glen and wanted to post it here but it won't let me post an mp3. Is that not allowed on this forum?

thanks in advance

Jack H
Nashville

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:50 pm

The Gene Autry Museum of the American West as well as Mrs. Jackie Autry, widow of Gene Autry, had memorialized Glen Campbell after he passed away last year.

The Museum had posted this memorial on the organization's website:
At the Autry, we remember Glen for his kindness and generosity. He performed at six Autry Galas: 1988, 1989, 1997, 1998, 2004, and 2007. In 2004, he received the Autry’s Humanities Prize in honor of his work and accomplishments, which have profoundly enriched our understanding of the American West.
Included in the museum's post was this beautiful memorial to Glen by Mrs. Autry:
“Gene and I cherished our friendship with Glen. He was also a dear friend of the Autry Museum and a gifted artist who graced this world with his beautiful music,” said Jackie Autry, Founding Chair of the Autry’s Board of Trustees. “I will always hold him close to my heart.”
Below is a photo of Glen holding his 2004 Autry Humanities Prize. This recognition as well as the opportunities to perform for six Autry Galas must have been tremendous for Glen. One of his documented early childhood memories is of seeing Gene Autry, his cowboy hero, on the big screen at his local movie house. Members will remember, too, Glen's first guitar was a "cowboy guitar" painted with the image of a cowboy riding a horse, possibly Gene Autry or at least his likeness of the singing cowboy.

Also, the museum, located in Los Angeles, California, is in the process this year of gathering stories about LA's Griffith Park for a long-term exhibition. I submitted on behalf of Glen Campbell Forums On The Net the story regarding Glen's special connection with the park.

Glen Campbell with the Autry’s Humanities Prize 2004_c. Gene Autry Museum 2017-gcf.jpg
Glen Campbell with the Autry’s Humanities Prize 2004_c. Gene Autry Museum 2017-gcf.jpg (119.21 KiB) Viewed 1534 times

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:34 am

'He was a monster guitar player': Johnny Aucoin on playing with Glen Campbell
Cape Breton pianist remembers playing alongside Campbell on Star Route television series
Hal Higgins · CBC News / Nova Scotia
Posted: 11 August 2017

Johnny Aucoin played alongside Glen Campbell in a Los Angeles recording studio in the early 1960s. He also performed as lead pianist for the television series, Star Route, originating in 1964, where he joined Glen and several other all-star studio musicians in show's rockin' house band.

Excerpts from the CBC News interview with Mr. Aucoin, who remembers Glen fondly as a studio musician and on the Star Route stage:

"(Campbell) was a big session man at that time," said Aucoin, noting that Campbell had recently gone into the studio with Frank Sinatra to record Strangers in the Night. (GCF NOTES: The track for Strangers in the Night was recorded on April 11, 1966, one month before the rest of the album. Hal Blaine was the drummer on the record and Glen Campbell played rhythm guitar. -Wikipedia)

The studio musicians for Star Route backed up many of the biggest names in country music, such as Johnny Cash and Merle Haggard.

"You had to have sold a million records to be on that program," said Aucoin.

He remembered Campbell as a "humble guy who put everyone at ease."

"He was a jokester — he loved to laugh," said Aucoin.

Besides Campbell's playful personality, what stood out was his incredible ability on the guitar, said Aucoin, who described the performer as "a monster guitar player."

Aucoin said he still marvels how anyone could be such an accomplished musician without being trained in note reading.

"If you played a chord, he could repeat it," said Aucoin.

"I don't think Webster ever put a word in the dictionary that could describe the talent he had."

Johnny Aucoin is still in the music business, playing regularly for weddings, anniversaries, corporate events and sometimes at concerts. He lives in Halifax, the capital of the Canadian province of Nova Scotia.

Also from CBC:

An excellent biographical memorial post with photos from 8 August 2017:
Rhinestone Cowboy singer Glen Campbell dead at 81
:arrow: http://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment/gl ... -1.4239339
GC_Pebble Beach CA National Pro-Am 2004 PHOTO CREDIT Eric Risberg Associated Press-sm.jpg
GC_Pebble Beach CA National Pro-Am 2004 PHOTO CREDIT Eric Risberg Associated Press-sm.jpg (41.82 KiB) Viewed 1794 times

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:23 pm

CMA THEATER AT THE COUNTRY MUSIC HALL OF FAME AND MUSEUM
Brad Paisley performs at Glen Campbell's memorial service, August 24th 2017

August 8, 2018
OFFICIAL YOUTUBE DESCRIPTION: Brad Paisley performs a medley of Glen Campbell songs at the late singer's memorial service, held at the Country Music Hall of Fame in Nashville, TN on August 24th, 2017. He is introduced by actress Jane Seymour. Glen Campbell passed away due to complications of Alzheimer's Disease on August 8th, 2017.

This video and performance are the exclusive property of CareLiving.org and the Campbell family and may not be downloaded or redistributed without express permission.
Heartfelt appreciation for Kim and her family for sharing this private video from Glen's service. ♥

:arrow: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uK_UTPvqGiI

Video: Courtesy of CareLiving.org // Downloading or Redistribution Is Not Allowed Without Express Permission

dee2

Re: Remembering Glen Campbell - post your tribute here...

Post by dee2 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:19 pm

NSF Music Station Aug. 8 2018.jpg
NSF Music Station Aug. 8 2018.jpg (24.7 KiB) Viewed 2082 times

NSF Music ("need some fun") posted a tribute quiz for Glen Campbell fans:

WHAT GLEN CAMPBELL SONG ARE YOU?

If you take the brief quiz: skip the green "Start Here" button when you first land on the web page to take the quiz and scroll down to begin with the first quiz question:

QUIZ: :arrow: https://www.needsomefun.net/what-glen-c ... -you-quiz/

I'll share the answer to my quiz, if you share yours. :D

ALSO: NSF Music posted a very nice Glen Campbell tribute article with photos, "Today in Music History – AUGUST 8, 2017, Glen Campell Passed Away," at this link on their website:

:arrow: https://www.needsomefun.net/today-in-mu ... ille-home/

dee2

Post by dee2 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:57 pm

August 8, 2018
Today, Glen Campbell's management company debuted this wonderful tribute video on Facebook. This link should take you directly to the video.

:arrow: https://www.facebook.com/glencampbellof ... 201517126/

dee2

Post by dee2 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:35 pm

A long-time, most dedicated fan from Scotland, Roy Leyland, created these thoughtful tribute videos for Glen and his fans today. Thank you, Roy!
Dee & fans

dee2

Post by dee2 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:19 pm

Glad to share Dillon Campbell's tribute, his heartfelt words and beautiful painting, posted for his Dad today.
(Facebook, August 8, 2018)

Glen Campbell-Dad-created by Dillon Campbell_c. 2018.jpg
Glen Campbell-Dad-created by Dillon Campbell_c. 2018.jpg (19.63 KiB) Viewed 2120 times
It was a year ago when you left us
A year ago that you went away
Into the light, the afterlife, the break of day
And i still smile sometimes at your memory
The memory of your solemn face
And all these personal memories
Time may never erase
I may never be able to hold you again
Or place my cheek upon your chest
But im happy to know that you are at peace
Finally getting your rest
And its times like these that i miss you
Its times like these that we cry
Theres a time to live, to laugh, to dance
There is also a time to die.

I miss you Dad. We all do. In our own strange ways.

-Dillon Campbell