Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

Glen's Music Peers - What Are They Doing Now?

REMEMBERING GLEN CAMPBELL - GLEN CAMPBELL WITH CARS - GLEN CAMPBELL MUSEUM
Cowpoke

Re: Glen's Music Peers - What Are They Doing Now? updated 9/15/18

Post by Cowpoke »

A lot of peers of Glen's are mentioned in this Toby Keith song... and not surprisingly (Toby Keith is a big GC fan) so is Glen himself!

Take a listen to That's Country Bro by Toby Keith.

https://youtu.be/BXvjEFiN5TI

I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...
Randy

Re: Glen's Music Peers - What Are They Doing Now? updated 9/15/18

Post by Randy »

I just love Jerry Fuller. Funny guy and great talent. I knew he wrote "Travelin Man" , but did not know he wrote "Young Girl" . Gary Puckett better be careful as Jerry can belt out some tunes.... Joking somewhat of course, but not joking about Jerry being fun to listen too. Thoroughly enjoyed running into this..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5l4GYGVFmh4

jay

Re: Glen's Music Peers - What Are They Doing Now? updated 8/30/18

Post by jay »

What was wrong with Hot August Night 1?
Or 2
Seems a little silly.
I love Neil Diamond. I WORE OUT my Hot August Night 8 track 3 times in the 70's.
Ok...so lets just compare

Cherry Cherry 2012 Hot August Night 3
or
Cherry Cherry 1972 Hot August Night 1

Yeah...I will get it, just like I did 2...but when you listen to the first...it certainly could stand on its own without any followups.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Glen's Music Peers - What Are They Doing Now? updated 8/30/18

Post by admin »

Neil Diamond Hot August Night III Album Cover-sm.jpg
Neil Diamond Hot August Night III Album Cover-sm.jpg (27.84 KiB) Viewed 11155 times
"Pretentious jowly mumrock: Neil Diamond’s Hot August Night III reviewed"
Revisionism has been unduly kind to Diamond. But there ain’t no revisionism in this column, matey

For The Spectator by Rod Liddle
September 1, 2018
Mumrock. A lucrative genre, dating from the beginning of the 1970s, when Mums suddenly wanted something a little bit hip. My own mother briefly succumbed to the inane imagery and kindergarten melody of ‘Song Sung Blue’, sometime in 1972, before she moved on to more sophisticated stuff (Gilbert O’Sullivan, as I recall). This is Diamond’s 40th anniversary collection of hits, live or otherwise.... -Liddle
Ouch! You can read Liddle's full review at: :arrow: https://www.spectator.co.uk/2018/09/pre ... -reviewed/

Hot August Night III
2 CD/DVD Set

What are the Amazon reviewers saying about Hot August Night III?

Amazon is hearing "beautiful noises" over there. No "cracklin' rosies" from the fans. In fact, Diamond's newest release has earned a 4.8 / 5.0 star rating! Check out a long-time fan's post by "Cat Prince Chunk", one of many fans who love and appreciate this "Hot" album!

:arrow: https://tinyurl.com/y8rorvsq

Track List:
Disc: 1
1. Overture
2. Soolaimon
3. Beautiful Noise
4. Forever In Blue Jeans
5. Love On The Rocks
6. Hello Again
7. September Morn
8. Play Me
9. Shilo
10. Red, Red Wine
11. You Got To Me
12. Girl, You'll Be A Woman Soon
13. Thank The Lord For The Night Time
14. Cherry, Cherry
15. Kentucky Woman
16. Solitary Man
17. Glory Road
18. Chelsea Morning
19. I'm A Believer
20. Happy Birthday Rose
21. Cracklin' Rosie

Disc: 2
1. And The Grass Won't Pay No Mind
2. Pretty Amazing Grace
3. We
4. Stones
5. You Don't Bring Me Flowers
6. Holly Holy
7. Morningside
8. Crunchy Granola Suite
9. Sweet Caroline
10. Sweet Caroline - Reprise
11. I Am... I Said
12. Walk Off
13. America
14. Brother Love's Travelling Salvation Show
15. I've Been This Way Before
16. Walk Off
17. Band Bows
18. Audience Exit

DVD Disc: 3
1. 1. Overture [Concert Film]
2. Soolaimon [Concert Film]
3. Beautiful Noise [Concert Film]
4. Forever In Blue Jeans [Concert Film]
5. Love On The Rocks [Concert Film]
6. Hello Again [Concert Film]
7. September Morn [Concert Film]
8. Play Me [Concert Film]
9. Shilo [Concert Film]
10. Red, Red Wine [Concert Film]
11. You Got To Me [Concert Film]
12. Girl, You'll Be A Woman Soon [Concert Film]
13. Thank The Lord For The Night Time [Concert Film]
14. Cherry, Cherry [Concert Film]
15. Kentucky Woman [Concert Film]
16. Solitary Man [Concert Film]
17. Glory Road [Concert Film]
18. Chelsea Morning [Concert Film]
19. I'm A Believer [Concert Film]
20. Happy Birthday Rose [Concert Film]
21. Cracklin' Rosie [Concert Film]

DVD Disc: 4
1. And The Grass Won't Pay No Mind [Concert Film]
2. Pretty Amazing Grace [Concert Film]
3. We [Concert Film]
4. Stones [Concert Film]
5. You Don't Bring Me Flowers [Concert Film]
6. Holly Holy [Concert Film]
7. Morningside [Concert Film]
8. Crunchy Granola Suite [Concert Film]
9. Sweet Caroline [Concert Film]
10. Sweet Caroline - Reprise [Concert Film]
11. I Am... I Said [Concert Film]
12. Walk Off [Concert Film]
13. America [Concert Film]
14. Brother Love's Travelling Salvation Show [Concert Film]
15. I've Been This Way Before [Concert Film]
16. Walk Off [Concert Film]
17. Band Bows [Concert Film]
18. Audience Exit [Concert Film]

admin
Site Admin

Re: Glen's Music Peers - What Are They Doing Now? updated 8/5/18

Post by admin »

Great biographical post about Bill Pitman, Randy. Thank you.
(I hadn't known how tight he was with the wrecking crew or even the recordings he was famous for.)
I hope you are having a good summer. :)
Dee

Randy

Post by Randy »

Found this to be a nice read about Bill Pitman, Wrecking Crew member and played on his tv show.

https://www.vintageguitar.com/22917/bill-pitman/

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Capitol Records released an EP with four tracks from Bobbie Gentry's upcoming box set, THE GIRL FROM CHICKASAW COUNTY.

YouTube created this playlist with the 4 gorgeous tracks: https://tinyurl.com/y7x52b4e
The EP is also available on Sp*tify and iT*nes.

You can also listen to these tracks here on Glen Campbell Forums:

dee2

Post by dee2 »

Thank you, Cowpoke.
True, Glen Campbell's officialdom as a bonafide member of The Beach Boys seems to have ebbed and flowed over the years! (This would make for an interesting topic!)

Updates for the SirirusXM radio broadcast on the Good Vibrations: The Beach Boys Channel (Ch. 4):
In addition to today's debut (Friday, August 10 at 5 pm ET), The Beach Boys' interview replays Friday, August 10 at 8 pm ET; Saturday, August 11 at 12 pm ET; Sunday, August 12 at 3pm and 10 pm ET; Tuesday, August 14 at 2 pm ET; and Wednesday, August 15 at 11 pm ET.

Below are (currently unlisted) excerpts from the interview:

Highlight: PETSOUNDS

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

Great posts Dee. Btw, I love the fact that Beach Boys Legacy lists Glen as one of the 10 official Beach Boys. Not everyone in the BB fan community agrees with that assessment. But I do of course!

I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...
admin
Site Admin

Re: Glen's Music Peers - What Are They Doing Now?

Post by admin »

Vivien Killilea/Getty Images for SiriusXM
Vivien Killilea/Getty Images for SiriusXM
SiriusXM_The Beach Boys_Getty Images Press Photo.jpg (84.17 KiB) Viewed 11375 times

~~~Wax up your surfboard and get ready to catch the (air) waves this week
with GLEN CAMPBELL's former band mates, THE BEACH BOYS.~~~

THE BEACH BOYS REUNITE! On July 30, 2018, Brian Wilson, Al Jardine, Mike Love, David Marks and Bruce Johnston of The Beach Boys reunited on stage for a "Town Hall" conversation to be broadcast on SiriusXM radio. Moderated by Rob Reiner and held at the Capitol Studios in Hollywood, California, this historic event was arranged as a springboard for discussing The Beach Boys' newest album. Fans will be able to listen to and engage with the event on SiriusXM radio this week, August 10th.

Why historic? A few of many reasons include:

*This occasion marks the first time The Beach Boys appeared together since their band's 2012 50th anniversary tour.

*They gather not only for conversation with host Rob Reiner and, of course, each other, but also with fans!
Ask Brian A Question.jpg
Ask Brian A Question.jpg (101.16 KiB) Viewed 11375 times
*The Boys gathered at Studio A at Capitol Records, where they last recorded together more than 55 years ago.

*The highlight of the Town Hall programming included discussion about their latest album, released by Capitol/UMe on June 8th, 'The Beach Boys With the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra'. The album includes 17 tracks that meld original Beach Boys' vocal performances with new symphonic arrangements performed by the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra at Abbey Road Studios (The Beatles, Pink Floyd) located in London, England.

*Perhaps for the first time ever, some of the stories behind The Beach Boys' songs and albums are revealed to the public, including the Brian Wilson song that made Paul McCartney cry when he first heard it.

*In the history of broadcasting, radio was the music industry's most important platform for delivering music (and more). SiriusXM proves (Dee's opinion only) radio still rules the airways with open mic, live programming such as this one.

*Based on information provided by early press releases, the original vocals of The Beach Boys were utilized for the new album. The album's liner notes still credit both the original singers and the original studio musicians. Glen Campbell is credited on these tracks:

HELP ME, RHONDA (GUITAR) [Some credible sources do not credit Glen on this song; rather, he is credited for HELP ME, RONDA, the first Beach Boys' recording of this song prior to its "remake" as "HELP ME, RHONDA". Note the difference in the spelling of Rhonda/Ronda, which helps to distinguish these two very different recordings.]

YOU STILL BELIEVE IN ME (GUITAR)

Billboard has been covering the new album as well as the historic broadcast. Melinda Newman of Billboard identified 7 highlights of the Town Hall meeting, one of which referenced GLEN CAMPBELL. You can read the highlights here:
https://www.billboard.com/articles/news ... hall-recap

:arrow: The Town Hall begins airing on Aug. 10th, 5 pm EST/PST in the US, Puerto Rico and Canada on SiriusXM channel 4, a satellite radio channel dedicated this summer only to the Boys' music and titled "Good Vibrations: The Beach Boys Channel".

Album Preview Video from their latest joint project (look for their homage to The Beatles at the very beginning of this clip):
Upcoming Project: It was Christmas in April when Brian Wilson announced his 2018 holiday concert tour with Al Jardine and Blondie Chaplin, performing 'The Beach Boys Christmas Album' in its entirety. Dates & locations are now listed on Brian's official website (with additional appearances to be hopefully added). Also, on Brian Wilson's website:
Fans can expect to hear Beach Boy classics “Little Saint Nick,” “The Man with all The Toys,” and a selection of Brian’s favorite Yuletide songs including “Blue Christmas” and “Santa Claus is Comin’ to Town.”

Wilson will also perform songs from his critically acclaimed solo album What I Really Want for Christmas named for its Bernie Taupin-penned title track as well as “Christmasey,” with lyrics by his friend JIMMY WEBB.
02-15-2018_Beach Boys Legacy_Twitter_10 Official Band Members in 57 Years_Glen Campbell.png
02-15-2018_Beach Boys Legacy_Twitter_10 Official Band Members in 57 Years_Glen Campbell.png (327.71 KiB) Viewed 11375 times